The Malik Report

Malik Out Of Winter Classic Game

I just received a phone call from George and as soon as I saw his name, I knew what the call would be about.

He slid off of the road and he is okay bur vehicle suffered some bumper damage.

He is waiting to get towed out of the ditch and will head back home to catch the game from there.

I know he was looking forward to covering the game so he has to be disappointed but the good news is he did not get injured.

Filed in: | The Malik Report | Permalink

Comments

MsRedWinger's avatar

Thanks, Paul. Poor George - what a way to start the New Year.  So happy to hear that he is OK.

And George, if you get around to reading these comments at some point, I wanted to thank you for posting the interview you had with Homer.  I absolutely loved seeing him again in the Alumni Game and kudos to Scotty Bowman for picking him to make a shoot out goal. I really enjoyed listening to him speak to you.

I’m sad, but not surprised, that he is moving back to Sweden.  Maybe it’s family, maybe it’s missing his buddy Nick, maybe it’s that the Wings didn’t seem to do much to help him out with post-playing employment, who knows.  But I thought it was telling when he said that if he and his family stayed here, they would “become Americans.”

He will always be my favorite Red Wing player ever.  Just something about the personality of the guy, the way he put it all out there to the best of his ability every game, the way he relentlessly practiced deflecting shots into the net, the way he fearlessly and repeatedly took so much physical abuse for his team.  I love Homer and wish him and his family all the very best.

I’m really looking forward to seeing the game at the Greatest Stadium On Earth today.  And hope the Wings can pull off a win too!

LGRW!!!!!

Posted by MsRedWinger from Flori-duh on 01/01/14 at 11:26 AM ET

Red Winger's avatar

George is a healthy scratch!

It will be warmer at home, George. Enjoy

Posted by Red Winger from Sault Ste Marie on 01/01/14 at 11:50 AM ET

squirrely's avatar

George, glad your safe, and as red winger said, it’s warmer inside.

Posted by squirrely from Dirty Jersey on 01/01/14 at 12:04 PM ET

Alan's avatar

Happy to hear he’s not injured, and it sounds like it’s only minor stuff to the vehicle.

Posted by Alan from Atlanta on 01/01/14 at 12:13 PM ET

Paul's avatar

George just called me, he is home and car towed to repair shop.

He is a bit shaken up but again no injuries, so we move on.

Posted by Paul from Motown Area on 01/01/14 at 12:17 PM ET

calquake's avatar

Ain’t life a bitch sometimes.  Glad you’re okay George, we’ll muddle on without you.  Stay warm.

Posted by calquake on 01/01/14 at 12:25 PM ET

gowings's avatar

Glad you are ok smile Take it easy today

Posted by gowings from MTL on 01/01/14 at 01:09 PM ET

Thanks for the update, Boss.

Glad you’re home and safe, George.  Rest easy.  Eat well.  And thanks for the many updates from the festivities.

Posted by SYF from Zata's Epic Viking Beard on 01/01/14 at 01:54 PM ET

Glad George is OK! Thanks for all your hard work.

Posted by griffinsfan on 01/01/14 at 02:10 PM ET

shanetx's avatar

Sorry to hear about your trouble, George.  Hope the rest of the day goes better for you!

Posted by shanetx from Floydada, Texas on 01/01/14 at 02:34 PM ET

cigar_nurse's avatar

Sorry to hear of your accident George but glad to hear no injuries. Let’s hope you got all your bad luck out of your system on the first day of the new year with nothing but for the rest. You have done a magnificent job on this blog all year with your winter classic coverage first rate. Keep er goin .

Posted by cigar_nurse from Greenville South Cakalakee on 01/01/14 at 11:05 PM ET