The Malik Report

Make it a quartet of Red Wings posts as MLive’s Khan provides injury updates

I figured that the Red Wings' "off day" wouldn't be a quiet one, but I didn't know it'd be this busy. A significant chunk of morning news, a Petr Mrazek "AMA" and some earnest trade deadline ponderings and an interview with Ken Holland have all popped up over the past two-and-change hours, and now MLive's Ansar Khan's followed up DetroitRedWings.com's Bill Roose's news about Darren Helm skating in his hockey gear with an incredibly substantive set of injury updates.

Wings GM Ken Holland offered the following to Khan regarding Darren Helm's status--and don't be surprised by Holland's comment that it's going to take Helm at least 2-3 weeks to get back into "hockey shape"...

“He pushed it harder today than yesterday; he'll wake up tomorrow and see how it feels,'' general manager Ken Holland said. “I'd say he's at least a couple of weeks away. It's not only the back, it's the conditioning.''

Helm saw a specialist in New York on Feb. 25. He discovered a small tear in a disc.

“We're a lot more optimistic today about him than we were a week ago,'' Holland said. “He's going to go on the ice a little each day. If there's no setbacks he'll push it more. It's a positive step in his rehab.''

Otherwise, the news isn't good regarding Valtteri Filppula, Mikael Samuelsson, Todd Bertuzzi or Carlo Colaiacovo:

Valtteri Filppula (left shoulder): Holland said he's out for at least the next three games (Thursday vs. Edmonton, Saturday at Columbus, Sunday at home vs. Columbus). They're hoping he'll be ready for the start of the Western Canada trip on March 13 in Calgary, but it's not definite. He has missed four games and hasn't practiced with the team.

Mikael Samuelsson (broken left index finger): He's out another couple of weeks. He has missed eight games with this injury and hasn't begun practicing with the team.

Todd Bertuzzi (back inflammation): He remains out indefinitely. The team has no idea when he'll be able to skate, let alone return to the lineup.

“We sent him for a second opinion, it was the same as the first,'' Holland said. “Give it more time, see where he's at.''

Carlo Colaiacovo (sprained left shoulder): He's close to returning, but the club is being cautious, so Holland doesn't expect he will play the next three games. He's been out since Jan. 21.

I don't know if the Wings are as frustrated with Colaiacovo as I am. They've been saying that he's "seven to ten days away" since early February, and we keep on hearing how the team wants to be extra cautious, extra cautious and even more cautious about defenseman's shoulder injured by Damien Brunner injured during the Spengler Cup and reinjured against St. Louis...

But this whole, "We want to make sure that he's absolutely ready and/or completely healed" talk ends up sounding like player and GM-speak for:

"His shoulder injury was way worse than we thought, and remember how he said he was still dealing with some lingering pain? Yeah, he's still got that, so we're scared shitless that he's either got a torn labrum or that he's gonna come back, get hit once and be out for the year. So we're pretending that it's all about 'being mentally ready' and 'making sure he's sure his shoulder holds up,' because WE're afraid that his shoulder won't hurt up."

Which leads me to guess--and it is a guess--that Colaiacovo might not be back for a while.

Filed in: | The Malik Report | Permalink

Comments

Chris in Hockey Hell's avatar

As someone who has 2 bad discs and still plays hockey, I can tell you that one wrong move can send you right back to the sidelines in a second. I hope Darren is on his way back to the lineup soon, but man, back injuries suck.

Posted by Chris in Hockey Hell from Ann Arbor, MI but LIVING in Columbia, TN on 03/06/13 at 02:39 PM ET

NIVO's avatar

I’m with ya on Don Corleone George. I’ve said he was still damaged goods when he got here and he is indeed in that category of"one more hit and he is done.” And I mean done like Sindee Cosby gettin one good smack and be out. We dont need him right now, the back end has improved vastly. Now about those forward lines <cough>

If there is one thing I was genuinely excited about from last nights game, it was the Emmerton line. They had some jump and fire for sure. Thats the line that deserves more ice time. A few more minutes of ice each night and I believe we are gonna see some more pucks in the net.

Posted by NIVO from underpants gnome village on 03/06/13 at 02:51 PM ET

MoreShoot's avatar

but man, back injuries suck.

Well, at least it appears he didn’t suffer a herniated disc—tho I think he was in the verge, it sounds—if that improves his future prospects any.

Posted by MoreShoot on 03/06/13 at 02:52 PM ET

I don’t know if the Wings are as frustrated with Colaiacovo as I am.

Why would they be?  When he gets healthy it will be like a deadline acquisition!

Posted by Garth on 03/06/13 at 03:04 PM ET

Enjoy it while it lasts because once Helm is healthy Abdelkader is going to be centring the third line and “the Emmerton line” will be minus one Emmerton.

Because Babcock rewards good play.

Posted by Garth on 03/06/13 at 03:07 PM ET

Chris in Hockey Hell's avatar

Because Babcock rewards good play.

I see what you did there.

Posted by Chris in Hockey Hell from Ann Arbor, MI but LIVING in Columbia, TN on 03/06/13 at 03:09 PM ET

NIVO's avatar

I see what you did there.

Posted by Chris in Hockey Hell from Ann Arbor, MI but LIVING in Columbia, TN on 03/06/13 at 02:09 PM ET

the dog in the avatar did too.

Posted by NIVO from underpants gnome village on 03/06/13 at 03:22 PM ET

MoreShoot's avatar

or a subtraction, right?  He comes off the IR and they need to make room on the roster.  His contract is only one year (I hope), right?

Posted by MoreShoot on 03/06/13 at 03:46 PM ET

Hootinani's avatar

But Cola’s been so healthy his entire career, I never would have seen this coming.  And if I couldn’t see this coming, how could anyone possibly expect a GM, with years of NHL level managerial and scouting experience, to forsee this?

I mean, this is almost as surprising as a 20 year NHL veteran dman retiring a few years after he starts taking year-to-year contracts.  There’s just no way to prepare for it.

There, I just increased Garth’s pile of sarcasm exponentially.

Posted by Hootinani on 03/06/13 at 03:55 PM ET

Posted by MoreShoot on 03/06/13 at 02:46 PM ET

Nope.  They offered him a one year deal, but the injury prone second-or-third pairing defenseman wouldn’t sign unless they offered him a second year.

So when he missed most of next season as well he’ll be their deadline acquisition then too!

Posted by Garth on 03/06/13 at 03:56 PM ET

There, I just increased Garth’s pile of sarcasm exponentially.

I think I see what you did there…

Posted by Garth on 03/06/13 at 03:57 PM ET

Hootinani's avatar

The upside to all this is, once Cola comes back in 7-10 days, we can bring Whitey back, pair them together, and they can rediscover that great chemistry they had back in the defensive glory days of the Leafs.

Posted by Hootinani on 03/06/13 at 04:04 PM ET