The Malik Report

Looks Like Draper Retiring Tomorrow

Update the latest news regarding Draper can be found via my second post, and MLive’s Ansar Khan confirms that Draper is retiring:

Forward Kris Draper will announce his retirement following 17 seasons with the Detroit Red Wings Tuesday at an 11 a.m. news conference at Joe Louis Arena.

The team has announced the news conference. A source confirmed that Draper, 40, will announce his retirement.

According to the captions on the Wings’ website photo gallery, Draper will announce his retirement tomorrow.

image

update: The link has been removed but you can see it was there by the screenshot.

Update #2 via George: This came from RedWingsFeed’s RSS reader around 12:20 PM. The gallery popped up stating that Draper would retire during a press conference on July 26th, I sent an email to Paul, people found it and poof, the gallery disappeared.

Update #3: Paul posted this Tweet from Sportsnet’s Nick Kypreos in the comments section:

Congratulations to Kris Draper who will announce retirement as early as tomorrow. Not bad for guy sold from #Jets to #Redwings for $1

Filed in: | The Malik Report | Permalink

Comments

Alan's avatar

A fond farewell to Kris Draper, if this is true.

Posted by Alan from Atlanta on 07/25/11 at 02:55 PM ET

ChowYunCat's avatar

Stupid salary cap.

Posted by ChowYunCat on 07/25/11 at 02:55 PM ET

tkfergy's avatar

Stupid salary cap.

Posted by ChowYunCat on 07/25/11 at 12:55 PM ET

its not the salary cap its the 23 man roster

Posted by tkfergy on 07/25/11 at 02:57 PM ET

FYI according to the Penguins official website photo album Jaromir Jagr was going to sign with the Penguins.

Posted by Aron on 07/25/11 at 02:58 PM ET

EDJ's avatar

Stupid salary cap.

CYC, it has nothing to do with the salary cap. Draper doesn’t have a spot on the team because there’s a 23 man roster limit, and since Holland usually likes seven defensemen and this isn’t the Flyers, there are fourteen spots for forwards. Holland doesn’t want to lose Emmerton on waivers like we lost Ritola so there isn’t a roster spot for Draper.

Posted by EDJ on 07/25/11 at 02:59 PM ET

For those who thought “no way Ozzie retires via conference call”...

Now that is sadder.

Posted by Herm from the office on 07/25/11 at 03:00 PM ET

jennyquarx's avatar

Sadness.  One of my all time favorite players.

Posted by jennyquarx on 07/25/11 at 03:03 PM ET

HockeytownOverhaul's avatar

Sumbitch

Grind Liners are all done.

Sad sad day in detroit.

Posted by HockeytownOverhaul on 07/25/11 at 03:04 PM ET

Paul's avatar

Kypreos tweets,

Posted by Paul from Motown Area on 07/25/11 at 03:05 PM ET

The link has been removed.

Posted by BobTheZee on 07/25/11 at 03:11 PM ET

mrfluffy's avatar

Ah sithspit…

Drapes….the old guard finally is changing. Here’s to hoping (not much hope as it must be practically guaranteed) he’s got the conditioning coach gig already lined up.

Posted by mrfluffy from A wide spot on I-90 in Montana on 07/25/11 at 03:21 PM ET

MsRedWinger's avatar

Sad, but inevitable thing.  Many thanks to Kris Draper, an all-around fabulous Red Wing.  I do hope he’s going to get a job like the one that has been rumored - Strength and Conditioning Coach or something…

Posted by MsRedWinger from Flori-duh on 07/25/11 at 03:22 PM ET

Evilpens's avatar

Damn good career for a dollar!

Posted by Evilpens on 07/25/11 at 03:23 PM ET

Doug Miller's avatar

Best of luck to Drapes, and whatever his future might include. Cheers to a great career.

Yet another retirement of a player I had the persiflage to grow up watching, man I’m getting old.

Posted by Doug Miller from Wyandotte, MI on 07/25/11 at 03:28 PM ET

George Malik's avatar

The Red Wings’ website did the same thing when Chris Osgood retired, but I didn’t post it because they alerted the press that he was going to retire about an hour after the gallery popped up. I spotted this via my phone while sans internet service in my cabin, fired the email off to Paul, and it looks like he and the other Wings blogs (WiiM and Detroithockey.net) figured it out at the same time.

The Wings have been known to telegraph this sort of thing so I believe it to be accurate.

Posted by George Malik from South Lyon, MI on 07/25/11 at 03:30 PM ET

Great, I can’t wait to hear about how we got him for $1 for the millionth time…....

Posted by Adam from Detroit on 07/25/11 at 03:34 PM ET

bezukov's avatar

Draper is one of those few guys I’ve ben watching since I was a kid.  Nick and Homer are the only ones left.  Thanks for all the great memories Drapes!

Posted by bezukov from the kids are alright. on 07/25/11 at 03:39 PM ET

El Gato Pollo Loco!!!'s avatar

You remember that McDonald’s commercial where the guy is wandering around looking to see what he could get for a buck? I always envisioned after the guy talks to the Mickey D’s guy that he would turn around and see Mike Ilitch there saying, “Well, I don’t know about you, but I got a player that helped win 4 Stanley Cups and a Selke”, in which the camera pans next to Ilitch and Kris Draper says “Hey.” Cue the “I’m lovin’ it” ending.

If retirement is eminent, I wish Drapes the best for the future and thank him for his service.

Posted by El Gato Pollo Loco!!! on 07/25/11 at 03:40 PM ET

Down River Dan's avatar

What a wonderful career. The absolute defintion of the phrase “Guy who gave everything he had every night”. Also, the epitome of a team player. He was so good in his role ,  night in-night out , you sometimes took him for granted. Drapes was not a “superstar”, but what he did was just as important, and without players like Draper, teams don’t win championships.

Thanks for everything Kris

Posted by Down River Dan on 07/25/11 at 03:57 PM ET

stonehands-78's avatar

hmmm

Posted by stonehands-78 from the beginning ... a WingsFan, on 07/25/11 at 03:58 PM ET

Stupid salary cap.

Posted by ChowYunCat on 07/25/11 at 12:55 PM ET

its not the salary cap its the 23 man roster

Posted by tkfergy on 07/25/11 at 12:57 PM ET

I think he was being facetious, gents.

Posted by SYF from the team that re-signed KFQ and DFC by KFH on 07/25/11 at 04:02 PM ET

monkey's avatar

hEY< DID YOU GUYS KNOW THE WINGS BOUGHT KRIS DRAPER FROM THE JETS FOR ONE DOLLAR/

Posted by monkey from Finland on 07/25/11 at 06:05 PM ET

Posted by monkey from bat country on 07/25/11 at 04:05 PM ET

nO wAIZ!!1!1LOL!!1!!1LOL1!!!!111

Posted by SYF from the team that re-signed KFQ and DFC by KFH on 07/25/11 at 08:05 PM ET

tkfergy's avatar

Ah sithspit…

nice Star Wars swear word…

Posted by tkfergy on 07/26/11 at 12:22 AM ET

TheRealYooper's avatar

a sad day in hockytown…

Posted by TheRealYooper from within sight of the edge of the Earth. on 07/26/11 at 12:35 AM ET