The Malik Report

Looks like the Red Wings will be bidding adieu to Patrick Eaves

The CBC's Elliotte Friedman reports that the Red Wings are waiving Patrick Eaves, and it's hard to imagine that he won't be picked up with an an at-least-not-terrible-to-snag $1.2 million salary...

Does Eaves being waived pave the way for Gustav Nyquist's recall, or does it mean that Ken Holland's statement about the team needing to alleviate a cap crunch by waiving Eaves to simply make room for Ericsson and Smith by waiving both Tootoo and Eaves is more accurate? I have no *#$%@& clue.

Filed in: | The Malik Report | Permalink

Comments

Good luck to Eaves. Hopefully he can find a team where he can play consistently. Any team whose PK needs help will probably pick him up.

Posted by George0211 on 11/14/13 at 12:16 PM ET

Down River Dan's avatar

That’s to bad, he brought energy/speed/grit whenever he could get in the lineup…..sort of reminds me of another guy….think he was from out East somewhere…....Newfoundland..???......I think he was #11 ?...or was it #71..???

Posted by Down River Dan on 11/14/13 at 12:18 PM ET

So long, Pat.  Wherever you land (Tampa Bay?), I hope you score the game winning goal every time you play the Wings.

Posted by Garth on 11/14/13 at 12:20 PM ET

SK77's avatar

Balls. Good luck Patty.

Posted by SK77 on 11/14/13 at 12:23 PM ET

I have no *#$%@& clue.

According to capgeek’s armchair GM thing, if Eaves clears and Tootoo is sent down, and Ericsson and Smith come back they’re going to be $100k over the cap.  I don’t know if Weiss is on STIR and I don’t know how that would affect the cap, and I also don’t know if I’m using that calculator right, so…

Posted by Garth on 11/14/13 at 12:49 PM ET

WingedRider's avatar

Waiving some of the Wings is going to hurt the development of the Youngsters in GR and Walleyes. Tootoo in the AHL is a waste of time for GR and Tootoo.

What a freaking mess!!!

Posted by WingedRider from Saskatoon, SK on 11/14/13 at 12:50 PM ET

Posted by Garth on 11/14/13 at 12:49 PM ET

Weiss is on STIR, so Wings get a roster spot but not cap space

Posted by George0211 on 11/14/13 at 12:51 PM ET

Hootinani's avatar

Dale Tallon got booted out of Chicago for alot less of a clusterfuch than this lineup has become.

Thanks again, Kenny.

Posted by Hootinani on 11/14/13 at 02:50 PM ET

Crater's avatar

Noooo! Not Patty Eaves!  Hope someone picks him up. He deserves to get some ice time in the NHL after all his hard work.

Posted by Crater from SoCal on 11/15/13 at 11:14 AM ET