The Malik Report

Lines At The Morning Skate And An Injury In Grand Rapids

via Khan tweets,

Holland said Grand Rapids defenseman Alexey Marchenko out 6-8 weeks, will need ankle surgery.

Lines at skate at Bell Centre: Franzen-Datsyuk-Bertuzzi, Abdelkader-Helm-Alfredsson, Tatar-Sheahan-Jurco, Miller-Andersson-Nyquist.

Looks like Eaves, Cleary and Glendening are out based in how they're skating but that's not confirmed.

If Franzen is cleared they'll be one over limit believe. Will need to send down a player. Maybe Sproul, who it appears isn't in tonight.

Defense pairs are Ericsson-Kronwall, Quincey-DeKeyser, Lashoff-Smith

added 12:01pm, Khan tweet,

Babcock said he thinks Franzen is good to go but it will be game time decision. Bertuzzi is playing for sure. Sproul is not. Howard starts

Filed in: | The Malik Report | Permalink

Comments

I know the best line before the break was 8-40-14….with 40 out, why not just keep 14 and 8 on the wings? Seriously, Babcock….

Posted by VitoLambruski on 02/26/14 at 11:46 AM ET

I meant with 13….

Posted by VitoLambruski on 02/26/14 at 11:46 AM ET

Hootinani's avatar

I meant with 13….
Posted by VitoLambruski on 02/26/14 at 11:46 AM ET

It doesnt make sense to put your hottest player pre-Olympics on the 4th line?  Glad you’re not a coach raspberry

Posted by Hootinani on 02/26/14 at 11:50 AM ET

He wins a gold medal so I guess he’s above reproach, but, geez. Confounding sometimes.

Posted by VitoLambruski on 02/26/14 at 11:56 AM ET

Hootinani's avatar

Posted by VitoLambruski on 02/26/14 at 11:56 AM ET

Nyquist must not have impressed him during the gold medal game.

Posted by Hootinani on 02/26/14 at 12:03 PM ET

Franzen-Datsyuk-Bertuzzi was a strong line two seasons ago and I don’t mind it now.  I do wonder if we’re showcasing Bert for a possible trade if the season starts to tank—if we lose all our games from now to the deadline it might be time to sell.

I’d have kept Tatar-Sheahan-Jurco together too.  So that’s two lines I can’t complain about.

I’d prefer Nyqist skate with Helm and Alfredsson on the second line, but Babcock likes Abdelkader’s compete level and forechecking and has had him on Alfie lines several times this season.  I get it—though it isn’t my preference.

At least with Nyquist down on the 4th line there’s a chance at some offense out of it.  And I assume that if Franzen can’t go, Nyquist shifts up to the top line and Eaves or Glendening takes his place on the fourth, which makes some sense.

Posted by captaineclectic on 02/26/14 at 12:19 PM ET

I thought (hoped) Bert was out for the rest of the season. I would think putting someone fully healthy with young legs on that line would seem like a good idea.

Posted by lancer on 02/26/14 at 12:22 PM ET

Keep in mind, babcock has always been about the “spreading out” of the talent instead of making 2 STRONG lines he prefers to make 4 “OK” lines…

Posted by Pasha1277 on 02/26/14 at 12:23 PM ET

MoreShoot's avatar

showcasing Bert for a possible trade if the season starts to tank

to whom?  and for what?  We are not at the showcase talent for trade if the season tanks stage, I don’t think.  We are supposed to be at the ‘get the rest of the season off on a good foot’ stage.

Posted by MoreShoot on 02/26/14 at 01:18 PM ET

MoreShoot's avatar

Franzen-Datsyuk-Bertuzzi

This might be the slowest line to hit the ice for DRW in a long long time.

Posted by MoreShoot on 02/26/14 at 01:21 PM ET

MurrayChadwick's avatar

Here’s a few possibilities.

a) Babcock wants Nyquist paired with Anderson because they played well in the playoffs last year,
b) Defend the top line then pick your poison. What’s the wings second line? 3rd and 4th then our matchup nightmares.
c) When Weiss returns, he bumps Anderson over, and now Weiss and Gus are a line?
d) Is he putting Nyquist on a line where he has to continue to shoot and go to the tough areas?

I think a bit of all but mostly d, there’s no one to defer to on that line, Nyquist will have to be the gunner.

Posted by MurrayChadwick on 02/26/14 at 01:34 PM ET

Figaro's avatar

showcasing Bert for a possible trade if the season starts to tank

to whom?  and for what?

Posted by MoreShoot on 02/26/14 at 01:18 PM ET

Buffalo hasn’t made a terrible deal in a couple of months, they’re due.

Posted by Figaro from Los Alamos, NM on 02/26/14 at 03:38 PM ET