The Malik Report

Lidstrom, Selanne can’t get a break

The Ottawa

Sun

Citizen’s Ken Warren suggests that the NHL shouldn’t have allowed Red Wings captain Nicklas Lidstrom and Anaheim Ducks forward Teemu Selanne to have skipped the All-Star game, arguing that both players are guilty of dereliction of duties which both players must fulfill:

They are two of the very best hockey players who ever played at their positions. They’ve done wonders in making the NHL a truly international league. If they ever retire, they’ll quickly find a place in the Hockey Hall of Fame.

All that aside, though, why has the NHL allowed them to become bigger than the game? Or, more precisely, bigger than the All-Star Game?

In case you somehow missed it, Lidstrom and Selanne won’t be coming to Ottawa for All-Star Game festivities in just over a week.

Continued

Filed in: | The Malik Report | Permalink

Comments

NHLJeff's avatar

George, it looks like you may have not closed the quote or something, as all posts under yours are showing up indented.

Posted by NHLJeff from Pens fan in Chicago, IL on 01/15/12 at 09:58 PM ET

Warren lost me when he called the All-Star game “a showpiece game for the NHL”.  I don’t remember the last time I watched more than a few minutes of an All-Star game.  Pre-lockout perhaps?  I have no idea, but this isn’t going to be the year that changes.

Posted by Valek from Chicago on 01/15/12 at 09:58 PM ET

42jeff's avatar

Jealousy holds no bounds….

Posted by 42jeff from The greater Howard City, MI metroplex on 01/15/12 at 10:02 PM ET

DocF's avatar

Good for Lidstrom, good for any senior player who is not forced to waste time that can better be used as r & r.

All of the All Star games are total dreck.  The NHL All Star game is the worst of the lot, by far.  When it was chosen by vote of the players, it had some significance.  Now it is a pre-biased popularity contest that makes no sense what so ever.

Doc

Posted by DocF from Now: Lynn Haven, FL; was Reidsville, NC on 01/15/12 at 10:19 PM ET

VooX's avatar

George, your block quote broke the mainpage.  Please delete this comment when things are copacetic.

Posted by VooX from Behind the Bar in the Hasek Club Car on 01/15/12 at 10:28 PM ET

George Malik's avatar

I don’t know how that happened…I fixed the byline, things were fine, and then kerplunk, I come back to the page and I had to edit it.

Posted by George Malik from South Lyon, MI on 01/15/12 at 10:36 PM ET

Would the Ottawa writer feel as strongly about this if the game was in Florida this year ?

Posted by mc keeper on 01/15/12 at 11:20 PM ET

Nate A's avatar

So the 20 years these guys have each put in for the league isn’t dues enough? Give em a break if they want it, they’ve earned it.

Posted by Nate A from Detroit-ish on 01/15/12 at 11:23 PM ET

Guy makes a good point.
Players don’t have to like it. They just need to go.

They can get their break when they are retired, counting their millions.

Posted by captain bob on 01/16/12 at 05:06 AM ET