The Malik Report

Lidstrom, Selanne aren’t alone in terms of age-defying play

USA Today’s Kevin Allen points out that Red Wings captain Nicklas Lidstrom and Anaheim Ducks forward Teemu Selanne aren’t the only 40-plus-year-olds who have managed to stave off old man retirement:

Right wing Mark Recchi (Boston), 43, is among the most important forwards on a Bruins’ team that has aspirations of reaching the Stanley Cup Final. The spunky forward is second on the team with 33 assists, plus he has 15 goals and he’s plus-15.

Goaltender Dwayne Roloson (Tampa), 41, is a No. 1 goalie with a .912 save percentage and four shutouts this season.

Center/wing Mike Modano (Detroit), 40: Although his season was undermined by a freak skate accident that cut his arm earlier this season, he scored a wondrous goal against Pittsburgh last week. Still skates like he’s a young man.

Filed in: | The Malik Report | Permalink

Comments

I usually agree with most of Kevin Allen’s takes, but….has he actually watched Modano skate since he returned last month ?

Posted by mc keeper on 03/29/11 at 04:29 PM ET

George Malik's avatar

Modano’s been very good all things considered. Next year he should be able to post 20 goals and 40-50 points. He’s been at his most effective in terms of playing strong defensive hockey, taking pressure off Filppula and giving the Wings an excellent presence on the PP point.

He’s not playing perfect hockey by any means, but, all things considered, he looks pretty good.

Posted by George Malik from South Lyon, MI on 03/29/11 at 04:52 PM ET

CaptNorris5's avatar

Next year he should be able to post 20 goals and 40-50 points.

Think he’ll return, George?

Posted by CaptNorris5 from The Winged Wheel, stuck in Chicago on 03/29/11 at 05:10 PM ET

Think he’ll return, George?

Not George, obviously, but I’ve read little bits that imply he’s definitely planning on returning.  I think he wants to be able to go out on a full season of playing rather than an injury-shortened one, especially when the injury was such a freak accident.

Posted by Garth on 03/29/11 at 06:22 PM ET

When he’s skating well, it’s hard to tell that Modano is over 40.  He skates better than most other skaters in their mid-20s.

Posted by SYF from Zata's Epic Viking Beard on 03/29/11 at 07:02 PM ET

George Malik's avatar

Yes, I think he’ll return. He seems to want to go out with a full-season bang. Which I don’t mean to sound…the way it does.

Posted by George Malik from South Lyon, MI on 03/30/11 at 04:30 AM ET