The Malik Report

Lesson Learned By The Wings?

from Ansar Khan of Mlive,

This was the team Detroit Red Wings fans fantasize seeing. This is the team coach Jeff Blashill and players believe they can be....

It was critical to rebound from Saturday's embarrassing 10-1 loss at Montreal and stop a seven-game slide (0-4-3).

The Red Wings competed hard from the drop of the puck, outshooting the Jets 16-3 and taking a 2-0 lead in the first period. They didn't ease up and try to protect a one-goal lead in the third, they kept pressing and scored three unanswered goals to seal it.

"It was kind of a lesson for us in Montreal," Darren Helm said. "I think we weren't really playing with a lot of passion the last couple games and we wanted to play with a little bit more intensity and show that we belong out there -- pucks in deep, hard on the forecheck and not give them a lot of space.

"I like to think that this is our team. Focus, be mentally tough and show that these are our colors every night. It's tough to do that, but I see a lot of guys that are capable of that. This is a first step and we got to keep it going."

read on

Extended game highlights are below...

Filed in: | The Malik Report | Permalink

Comments

Colin's avatar

I as at the game. There was some shitty refereeing, Helm had the sort of game you expect from a $4m man, Athanasiou finally started doing what I’ve been hoping for all season - putting the brakes on and finding a trailer on the rush, we had a good few huge hits, Frk killed a guy with a trident on the powerplay, overall an exciting game.

However, we got VERY lucky on a lot of opportunities, and Howard had to stand on his head last night. If the Jets don’t miss a couple times or Howard isn’t superhuman on some of these saves, this is a VERY different game. The first period was masterful, but over time the Jets crept back in it.

Much improved from last game, but this team still has a way to go before they can be taken any sort of seriously.

Posted by Colin from Ken Holland's new yacht, "Incompetence" on 12/06/17 at 09:06 AM ET

hockeyfreak13's avatar

Posted by Colin from Ken Holland’s new yacht, “Incompetence” on 12/06/17 at 08:06 AM ET

Agreed. I’m worried they’re patting themselves on the back after a game where all of the stars aligned. Also, I am really liking that line of Booth-AA-Frk. We finally have a 4th line that can generate offense!

Posted by hockeyfreak13 from Grand Rapids on 12/06/17 at 09:37 AM ET

Breaks are part of hockey, some go against and some for you. Mickey was right that last few games most of the breaks were against Wings, so nice to see some luck for a change.
This was an overall good game by the Wings, lucky breaks or not.

I tend not to get surprised by bad officiating, but man were there some phantom calls last night.

Posted by George0211 on 12/06/17 at 09:43 AM ET

PierreC's avatar

if this is their best performance of the season we are in trouble. I prefer to say best FIRST period of the season…

But the rest of the game was certainly not. At time we were Lucky, specially on that third goal that in my opinion should have NOT counted.

To me we are not out of the wood yet, just recently i believe we played much better against the Flames at home, this could certainly be consider one of our finest game of the season…not the game last night.

Posted by PierreC from Montreal, Canada on 12/06/17 at 09:46 AM ET

PierreC's avatar

just wanted to share this….just 2 years ago…we were good, we can still be good

Posted by PierreC from Montreal, Canada on 12/06/17 at 10:05 AM ET

Colin's avatar

Posted by PierreC from Montreal, Canada on 12/06/17 at 08:46 AM ET

Our luck came in the missed nets and Howard’s superhuman play. That third goal absolutely should have counted. The Jets defender clearly drove Nyquist into Hellebuyck.

Posted by George0211 on 12/06/17 at 08:43 AM ET

The penalty on Howard - Trash

The missed high-stick on Nielsen - Trash

The missed trip on Athanasiou - Trash

Posted by Colin from Ken Holland's new yacht, "Incompetence" on 12/06/17 at 10:13 AM ET

MurrayChadwick's avatar

The penalty on Howard - Trash
The missed high-stick on Nielsen - Trash
The missed trip on Athanasiou - Trash
Posted by Colin from Ken Holland’s new yacht, “Incompetence” on 12/06/17 at 09:13 AM E

100% agreed, especially the tripping call on Howard, I can’t believe he composed himself and didn’t lose his crap.

Posted by MurrayChadwick from Holland Hate Hyperbole Town (HHHT) on 12/06/17 at 10:17 AM ET

PierreC's avatar

The penalty on Howard - Trash

agree too…First time i ever seen a call like this.

Posted by PierreC from Montreal, Canada on 12/06/17 at 10:23 AM ET

TreKronor's avatar

Talk is cheap. Win the next 8 of 10…then we can talk.

Posted by TreKronor on 12/06/17 at 10:25 AM ET

How about this one

Posted by George0211 on 12/06/17 at 10:27 AM ET

ilovehomers's avatar

Posted by George0211 on 12/06/17 at 09:27 AM ET

All time favorite.

Posted by ilovehomers on 12/06/17 at 10:29 AM ET

MurrayChadwick's avatar

Two lessons I hope the wings and blashill can learn after watching game film.

If they’re going to set up the Frk cannon on a 5 on 3, Frk needs to hit the net more than 50% of the time, someone needs to grow a pair of balls and screen the goalie, the two wall wing guys need to converge on the net for loose rebounds, and the far side D needs back up right away like Green did yesterday to hold misses or deflections from rimming out of the zone.

Mantha needs to realize he’s playing in the NHL against real Dmen, and that he’s not going to pull stickhandling moves like he did in Juniors and in the AHL, once in a while they work, 2-3x a game equates to 2-3 turnovers a game. There’s a reason Pavel was called the Magic Man, your not supposed to be able to pull that off against NHL caliber talent.

Posted by MurrayChadwick from Holland Hate Hyperbole Town (HHHT) on 12/06/17 at 10:33 AM ET

Here is a lesson:

Don’t read too much into one hockey game, particularly when you played great for just 20 minutes of it. Check back in 10 or 15 games when we’re probably even further away from the mythical playoff spot.

Posted by fatsavage on 12/06/17 at 10:41 AM ET

Primis's avatar

Talk is cheap. Win the next 8 of 10…then we can talk.

Posted by TreKronor on 12/06/17 at 09:25 AM ET

So much this.  Sooooooo much work left to do to prove anything at this point.  They’re just as or more liekly to go on another winless slide and this game will be irrelevant.

Posted by Primis on 12/06/17 at 12:37 PM ET

To me this game showed the players did not quit on Blashill as it was suggested by many here.
Next 4 games are against Blues, Panthers, Boston and Toronto. I do not think we are good enough to get 5 points in those 4 games even if we “try hard”. But time will tell.

Posted by VPalmer on 12/06/17 at 01:00 PM ET

You have old guys playing for.pride and Young guns that may feel stilted by their coach.

I think the old guys really played well yesterday. Guys like Helm and Nyquist really had an extra gear in them and Helm even went physical. I thought Z skated better than he did in the last 10 games or so. Abby and Nielsen were contributing. The young trio was mostly invisible offensively except for AA pass to Booth. Larkin was very good on PK, but was not much of a factor offensively. Mantha has been in a prolonged slump after 8:2 win over Calgary. Daley and E also played well I though. And DK is either still injured or I do not know what.

Posted by VPalmer on 12/06/17 at 01:33 PM ET

MurrayChadwick's avatar

I would add have him pinch into the slot once while if it opens up and take a shot. At least from the top of the circles he should be shooting when available.
Posted by damndog from The Eastside of Detroit on 12/06/17 at 11:29 AM ET

No quality PK would allow him to set up camp there, maybe out of a rebound/breakdown, but those are the passing lanes PK structure takes out.

Posted by MurrayChadwick from Holland Hate Hyperbole Town (HHHT) on 12/06/17 at 02:43 PM ET

ilovehomers's avatar

In my uneducated opinion, the 5 on 3 wasn’t great, but at least they were shooting.

There just wasnt enough forced lateral movement for Hellbucyk. They passed it around on the umbrella and I didn’t see a lot of “pinch” that DD mentioned. They tried to slap the puck every time - seemingly telegraphing that they’d shoot. No quick wrister, no fake shot pass.

Otherwise, they kept it in the zone and didn’t over pass - so it wasn’t a horrendous disaster.

Posted by ilovehomers on 12/06/17 at 02:48 PM ET

ilovehomers's avatar

And now that I think about it, look how Winnipeg scored their goal. Howie had to slide all the way across and it was just a perfect shot by Laine.

We probably don’t have anyone to rival that shot - especially with Mantha playing net front.

Posted by ilovehomers on 12/06/17 at 03:13 PM ET

The first 5 on 3 yes, the second one was a disaster.

Posted by VPalmer on 12/06/17 at 03:25 PM ET

Murray, there is only one way he is going to improve those skills…..try them during game play and adjust his game in response to what he learns from the D’s reactions. Personally, I like that he has the confidence to even try those moves. Let’s hope he is doing them to learn how to get better.

Here is a lesson: Don’t read too much into one hockey game….
yes. I think we ALL can use this advice.

it was just a perfect shot by Laine
That guy has a great release.

Posted by howeandhowe from Seattle on 12/06/17 at 03:39 PM ET

bigfrog's avatar

How about this one

Ticks me off watching it, but the ultimate shaft was in the 2009 SCF’s. Gary really wanted to give Cindy her first Cup. mad

Posted by bigfrog on 12/06/17 at 09:15 PM ET