The Malik Report

Legwand, Neal Fined For Their Actions Last Night

NEW YORK – Detroit Red Wings forward David Legwand has been fined $5,000 for butt-ending Pittsburgh Penguins forward Evgeni Malkin in NHL Game No. 1046 in Detroit on Thursday, March 20, the National Hockey League's Department of Player Safety announced today.

The incident occurred at 16:14 of the third period. Legwand was assessed a major penalty and game misconduct for butt-ending.

The fine money goes to the Players' Emergency Assistance Fund.

NEW YORK – Pittsburgh Penguins forward James Neal has been fined $5,000 for cross-checking Detroit Red Wings forward Luke Glendening in NHL Game No. 1046 in Detroit on Thursday, March 20, the National Hockey League's Department of Player Safety announced today.

The incident occurred at 5:19 of the second period. Neal was assessed a minor penalty for cross-checking.

The fine money goes to the Players' Emergency Assistance Fund.

added 3:38pm, if you missed the incidents, you can watch both below...

Legwand butt-end...

Neal cross-check...

Filed in: | The Malik Report | Permalink

Comments

Chris in Hockey Hell's avatar

That sounds fair.

Posted by Chris in Hockey Hell from Ann Arbor, MI but LIVING in Columbia, TN on 03/21/14 at 02:34 PM ET

Both should have been suspended, but since I’m selfish and the Wings need Legwand in the lineup I’ll refrain from complaining too loudly.

Posted by Sven22 from Grand Rapids on 03/21/14 at 02:42 PM ET

bleep bloop's avatar

I’m surprised there was no suspension for Legwand and doubly surprised that they did anything about Neal

Posted by bleep bloop on 03/21/14 at 02:53 PM ET

I think Legwand escaped more discipline because Malkin clearly over sold being hurt and didn’t miss a shift. He got 5 and a game, which was deserved. If Glenny lays on the ice after that hit, Neal would have gotten 5 and a game too.

Posted by A II R on 03/21/14 at 02:57 PM ET

J.J. from Kansas's avatar

Ok so here’s the discipline math

2nd Tier Player (Neal) commits a cross-check to the head of a 4th-line nobody + given a 2-minute penalty in-game + no injury + repeat offender + 3rd Tier player commits a butt-end to the groin of a top-tier superstar + given a 5-minute major + given a game misconduct + no injury + not a repeat offender

I don’t know what this specifically tells us, but now we know the mathematical equation and can potentially use this information to parse the actual value of these variables as we gain more information.

Posted by J.J. from Kansas on 03/21/14 at 03:02 PM ET

J.J. from Kansas's avatar

Well I screwed that up. Let me try again.

2nd Tier Player (Neal) commits a cross-check to the head of a 4th-line nobody + given a 2-minute penalty in-game + no injury + repeat offender = 3rd Tier player commits a butt-end to the groin of a top-tier superstar + given a 5-minute major + given a game misconduct + no injury + not a repeat offender

Posted by J.J. from Kansas on 03/21/14 at 03:03 PM ET

YzermanZetterberg's avatar

Posted by A II R on 03/21/14 at 03:57 PM ET

And if Legwand lays on the ice after Malkin removes his helmet like he’s scraping paint off of a house, Malkin gets…nothing. Some things never change.

Posted by YzermanZetterberg on 03/21/14 at 03:05 PM ET

WingedRider's avatar

J.J. from Kansas

Great analysis of NHL Safety problems.  It did make me laugh, only thing a Fan can do!

Go Wings Go Leggy

Posted by WingedRider from Saskatoon, SK on 03/21/14 at 03:40 PM ET

Alan's avatar

Glad it’s not more.

Posted by Alan from Atlanta on 03/21/14 at 03:54 PM ET

I would like to hear what Babs had to say to Legwand for putting a team 5 minutes shorhanded at a critical time of such an important game. I know what he said publicly, but I have a pretty good guess of what he said to him privately. As positive as Babcock is publicly, I can imagine he might get pretty mad at you privately. And in this case he would be right. The game was too important for a veteran to lose his emotions like that. It was a true miracle (and some unbelievable PK work) Pens did not score there.

Posted by VPalmer on 03/21/14 at 04:04 PM ET

MsRedWinger's avatar

The game was too important for a veteran to lose his emotions like that.

Obviously some lingering Nashville mentality…  smile

Posted by MsRedWinger from GlennieAbbyLand. Now in Flori-Duh. on 03/21/14 at 04:29 PM ET

Jeez you’d think this was a Pens blog given the hysterics coming from Malik and the other crybabies hating on Legwand, he butt ended Jenny’s ball sack big deal

Posted by Bay Area Wings fan on 03/21/14 at 04:45 PM ET

bigfrog's avatar

No surprise on Malkin. Remember the 2009 Stanley Cup fiasco? Malkin not receiving a deserved one game suspension for jumping Zettrberg at the end of game 2 cost the Red Wings back to back Cups.

Posted by bigfrog on 03/21/14 at 05:11 PM ET

bigfrog's avatar

Sorry for misspelling “Zetterberg”.

Posted by bigfrog on 03/21/14 at 05:12 PM ET

MoreShoot's avatar

Obviously some lingering Nashville mentality…

well, since you’ve steered this off course—and I know it’s a very dead horse— but why didn’t we package Ferraro instead of Jarnkrök in the Legwand deal?

Posted by MoreShoot on 03/21/14 at 05:24 PM ET

By the letter of the law, it was actually a rare case of black and white: Malkin should have been suspended, but the league opted not to. I don’t know if that alone cost them the Cup that year, but it was very annoying nonetheless. The officiating that entire series was geared to allow for an unprecedented post-lockout amount of clutching and grabbing that enabled the slower Penguins defensemen to shut down the faster and more highly-skilled Red Wings forwards. It is actually evident in the extremely small number of non-garbage time penalties called throughout the series.

Posted by Jaromir Blogger on 03/21/14 at 05:45 PM ET

Primis's avatar

Posted by MoreShoot on 03/21/14 at 06:24 PM ET

Because NAS didn’t ask for Ferraro?  Reports were that they asked for Pulkkinen or Jarnkrok.  Just because DET might want to move someone doesn’t many any partners would want him.

Posted by Primis on 03/21/14 at 05:53 PM ET

Surfer Ken's avatar

Great game

Posted by Surfer Ken from San Clemente on 03/21/14 at 07:36 PM ET

So true. Some people just can’t get over the fact we got rid of a youngster who bab’s and management said would probably not make the team, and in return all we got was some player who has helped us win some games…contributed more than the guy we got rid of would have…and who says he wants to remain with the Wings because he grew up a Wings fan, is from the area, and has always wanted to play for the Wings. But of course the haters dismiss all of that and only see him as a rental player who took a bad penalty last night. A penalty that resulted in the other team scoring ZERO goals.

As for Malkin, much like Cindy he is a cry baby. Every time either one of them get hit they immediately look to at the refs expecting a penalty (and of course they usually get one). And they always make sure they appear more hurt than they actually are. I clearly recall Malkin getting injured three different times the Wings played them earlier this season. Each time he looked like he was hurt so bad he would be leaving the game…only to return without missing a shift from what I recall. I think after the last injury in that game he may have actually left the game and missed a game or two, but it was probably because he broke a nail or stubbed his toe or something like that.

Posted by Howdy Gordie on 03/21/14 at 08:05 PM ET

Luongo-is-my-hero's avatar

What I want to know is how can he afford to feed his chidren after paying such a harsh fine.  Oh the HUMANITY!

Fines need to be a lot bigger to be used as any sort of a deterrent. 5k is nothing to them.

Posted by Luongo-is-my-hero on 03/21/14 at 09:47 PM ET

„I would like to hear what Babs had to say to Legwand for putting a team 5 minutes shorhanded at a critical time of such an important game.“

Oh yes. The holey mother of all cussings I bet. Likely had him bawling like a 3 year old. Welcome aboard Leggy. Pull crap like that and we’ll put you in the locker room across from Bertuzzi and let him stare at you.

Legwands good, but the team comes first. Those two points that were on the line could have been the season right there.

Malkin’s a repeat diver. I’m sure the head office is aware of how often he makes the on ice officials look like fools. It’s shameful that talented players like St.Louis and Crosby act like European soccer players.

It must suck to be a Pens fan with no one like Glendening to cheer for tongue wink

Posted by leftwing on 03/22/14 at 07:36 AM ET

The incident with Malkin ended in a very positive wary for the Wings so I don’t mind at all Legwand responding to the roughing tactics by one of the Pens’ “superstar” untouchables. If he was hurt, it did not take him long to recover.He and Crosby are both whiners so I m okay with it and it may very well have given the guys something to rally around.

I think Legwand will be respected by a lot of our guys for being willing to stand up for himself and may very well have helped ignite a spark the Wings needed. It was an ill-timed response, to be sure, but I like to see guys play with some emotion and an edge occasionally.

Posted by NewfieWing on 03/22/14 at 08:43 AM ET

Yeah, I’m sure everyone gained a lot of respect for the guy who put them down a man for five minutes at the end of a tied game in which they desperately needed points.

The fact that they miraculously killed off the penalty and pulled off a literally last second win probably had them high-fiving Legwand, thanking him for making the stupidest, most idiotic play he could’ve possibly made.

I’m sure they respect him more for doing amongst the dirtiest things you can do to a man, in retaliation for having his hat knocked off.

Yeah, good job Dave!!!