The Malik Report

Left Wing Lock reveals dates for Red Wings’ 13-14 training camp, prospect tourney, development camp

The Left Wing Lock's Sarah Lindenau has announced the dates for the Detroit Red Wings' 2013 training camp, the prospect tournament which proceeds it and the Wings' summer development camp, too:

The Detroit Red Wings will be returning to Traverse City, MI to host their annual prospects tournament and training camp at Centre I.C.E. Arena in Traverse City, Mich. Additionally Centre I.C.E. will also host the Wings annual prospect development camp July 12th through the 20th.

Training camp will begin Sept. 12 and run through Sept. 18 with ticket prices expected to run between $10 – $30. Camp begins with morning practices on September 12th, 13th, and 14th. The red-and-white game will be held Sept. 15th.  At the conclusion of the Red and White game, the Wings will then divide into two teams prior to the preseason games against the Pittsburgh Penguins on the 16th and the Chicago Black Hawks on the 17th. Players not involved in those games will remain in Traverse City for morning scrimmages on those days.

Continued with many, many more important dates and information, including news about an alumni game taking place at Centre Ice Arena. It might be wise to follow Lindenau and Red Wings Camps on Twitter for more updates regarding the summer development camp, prospect tournament and main camp...

Update: The Wings simultaneously issued a press release regarding training camp:

RED WINGS TRAINING CAMP WILL RETURN TO TRAVERSE CITY IN FALL OF 2013

… NHL Prospects Tournament, Charity Golf Tournament and Main Training Camp set for September in Northern Michigan …

Detroit, MI...Detroit Red Wings Executive Vice President/General Manager Ken Holland today announced that the Red Wings will once again host their annual NHL Prospects Tournament and Training Camp at the Centre ICE Arena in Traverse City, Mich., along with the Training Camp Golf Classic.The NHL Prospects Tournament will include eight NHL teams playing four games per day for four days: Sept. 5, 6, 8 and 9.  This will mark the 15th season of the tournament in Traverse City that has produced over 350 prospects who have gone on to play in the NHL.  The eight teams scheduled to participate include the Red Wings, Buffalo Sabres, Carolina Hurricanes, Columbus Blue Jackets, Dallas Stars, Minnesota Wild, New York Rangers and St. Louis Blues.

The Wings will open their annual NHL Training Camp with the 14th Training Camp Golf Classic presented by Eitel Dahm Motor Group on Wednesday, Sept. 11, at the Grand Traverse Resort and Spa.  Proceeds from the tournament benefit Involved Citizens Enterprises (I.C.E.), a 501(c)3 non-profit organization providing affordable skating programs to Northern Michigan.

The 2013-14 Red Wings hit the ice for the first time the morning of Thursday, Sept. 12, and continue daily through Wednesday, Sept. 18.  For additional information including future on-sale dates for all Red Wings events in Traverse City and announcements of specific times of games and practice sessions, please call (231) 933-7465 or visit http://www.centreice.org

Filed in: | The Malik Report | Permalink

Comments

Primis's avatar

They gotta’ get those TC Prospect Tourney games televised again.  I ate those up.  They’re the perfect antidote for the long off-season while you wait for camp and exhibition games…

Posted by Primis on 04/11/13 at 02:07 PM ET

w2j2's avatar

The camps at Traverse City are a “Must Go” for everyone in northern Michigan.
The prices are cheap, the venues are small, and you can rub elbows with all the Wing’s personnel.
It is like having the Wings at your local rink.

Posted by w2j2 on 04/11/13 at 02:21 PM ET

And it’s Traverse City.

Gorgeous place to have all of those camps.

Posted by SYF from the team that re-signed KFQ and DFC by KFH on 04/11/13 at 02:28 PM ET

George Malik's avatar

Given the way today’s gone, I’m surprised that nobody’s blamed Ken Holland for not holding camp in Cancun on the second weekend in November raspberry

Posted by George Malik from South Lyon, MI on 04/11/13 at 02:38 PM ET

Vladimir16's avatar

The camps at Traverse City are a “Must Go” for everyone in northern Michigan.
It is like having the Wings at your local rink.
Posted by w2j2 on 04/11/13 at 02:21 PM ET

I used to work in Traverse City quite a bit and the camps are a “Must Go”. Damn, I miss working in northern Michigan downer

Posted by George Malik from South Lyon, MI on 04/11/13 at 02:38 PM ET

LOL

Posted by Vladimir16 from Grand River Valley on 04/11/13 at 02:43 PM ET

perfection's avatar

maybe I’m missing something, but i see nothing about it on Kuklas, but the Howard contract is being reported as a done deal, 6 years, 31mil. Even Babs commented on it to USA Today.

Posted by perfection from LaLaLand on 04/11/13 at 02:43 PM ET

perfection's avatar

other than Ward’s “close” to a contract post.

Posted by perfection from LaLaLand on 04/11/13 at 02:44 PM ET

George Malik's avatar

The Free Press is running with it even though Howard told Carlos Monarrez that he has not signed a deal as of yet. No one else is confirming it as true—even Howard said that it’d take until the weekend to complete—but the Free Press insists that it’s happened.

Posted by George Malik from South Lyon, MI on 04/11/13 at 02:50 PM ET

Tony Perkis's avatar

According to capgeek, a deal was made.

Posted by Tony Perkis from Drinking at Robert's Lounge with Billy Batts on 04/11/13 at 02:59 PM ET

Primis's avatar

The camps at Traverse City are a “Must Go” for everyone in northern Michigan.
It is like having the Wings at your local rink.

Posted by w2j2 on 04/11/13 at 02:21 PM ET

A few years ago we were going to go to one of the camps and our plans got scuttled at the last minute.  I hated it, because then by the next year we had a baby (now 3) and another since (1) and so now any hopes of camps seem to be on hold for the forseeable future.  I reeaaalllyyy wanted to go.

And yeah, Traverse City.  I love it up there.  I have a cousin that actually lives there now and I’m insanely jealous of him.  Easily my favorite place in the state, probably not even close.

Posted by Primis on 04/11/13 at 03:11 PM ET

Vladimir16's avatar

Easily my favorite place in the state, probably not even close.
Posted by Primis on 04/11/13 at 03:11 PM ET

This ^^^^

Posted by Vladimir16 from Grand River Valley on 04/11/13 at 03:21 PM ET

Vladimir16's avatar

I worked up there on and off year round but every year in the summer I’d be “stuck up there” three straight weeks. I’d shoe horn my motorcycle along with my golf clubs in the work van. Ahhh…. those were the days grin

Posted by Vladimir16 from Grand River Valley on 04/11/13 at 03:25 PM ET

I’ve seen the white sand beaches in Boracay and the powder sand beaches in Puerto Princesa, Philippines.  TC’s shores are just as awesome.

Posted by SYF from the team that re-signed KFQ and DFC by KFH on 04/11/13 at 03:26 PM ET

Paul's avatar

Posted by perfection from LaLaLand on 04/11/13 at 02:43 PM ET

I am following the process but nothing official as of yet.  I’ll post it if and/or when it is announced, in the meantime, George has done everything but call Howard’s family to ask if he is signed or not.

Posted by Paul from Motown Area on 04/11/13 at 03:53 PM ET

PaulinMiamiBeach's avatar

I suppose the media is CYA’ing by saying they AGREED to terms, not that they SIGNED to terms.  but really, I’m so sick of the “we’d rather get lucky and get a scoop than worry about actual facts” media in this country.

Posted by PaulinMiamiBeach on 04/11/13 at 04:02 PM ET

MoreShoot's avatar

Easily my favorite place in the state, probably not even close.
Posted by Primis on 04/11/13 at 03:11 PM ET

This ^^^^

Unfortunately, everyone in SE Mi has figured that out, so now the rental rates suck.

Posted by MoreShoot on 04/11/13 at 04:03 PM ET

Hootinani's avatar

Love the camps, but some of the draw of the prospect tourney has been dampened since they built the mezzanine and the scout lounge.  The scouts for all of the teams used to sit out in the main concourse and hold meetings, and if you were nosey enough, you could definitely get some insider opinions on prospects.  I’m sure thats why they built the mez and the lounge, so I dont blame them, but it was still my favorite part of the tourney.

I remember watching a game through one of the windows in the main concourse right next to 2 Columbus scouts, listening to thier opnions on Voracek.  They were not very high on him, which was odd, because he was one of the best players in the tourney up to that point.  I think they traded him to Philly the next year.

I also got to talk to Bob Mckenzie a little bit.  Nothing of any hockey value, but he was really nice.

Anywho, regardless of all that, I’m sure I’ll be there this year for one or both camps.  Nothing like watching a morning skate with hot choclate in one hand, and a cup of Cheli’s Chili iin the other (although i dont think they have that anymore, either).  Also, if anyone needs a good watering hole while they are their, 7 Monks taproom has an amazing selection of beer and wine, and some great food to boot.

Posted by Hootinani on 04/11/13 at 04:17 PM ET

Vladimir16's avatar

Posted by Hootinani on 04/11/13 at 04:17 PM ET

Big thumbs up!

Posted by Vladimir16 from Grand River Valley on 04/11/13 at 04:26 PM ET

RWBill's avatar

Is this a sign of the Wings’ fans’ level of expectations that we’re already talking about next season’s camp?

Posted by RWBill from cruising Brush Street with creepy Rob Lowe. on 04/11/13 at 04:43 PM ET

MoreShoot's avatar

I blame George.

Posted by MoreShoot on 04/11/13 at 04:44 PM ET

gt500x's avatar

Yeah, blame anyone but Holland because he has nothing to do with anything negative.

Posted by gt500x on 04/11/13 at 04:54 PM ET

Hootinani's avatar

Yes, do not pay any attention to the man behind the curtain

Posted by Hootinani on 04/11/13 at 07:06 PM ET