The Malik Report

LeBrun: Red Wings waive David Booth (again)

This move may involve making room for Tyler Bertuzzi:

Update: Yep, yep:

Filed in: | The Malik Report | Permalink

Comments

I hope someone picks him and gives him playing time…....but then, FS will berate KH for not trading him.

Posted by howeandhowe from Seattle on 01/22/18 at 12:11 PM ET

I’d send Turgeon back down. He’s not ready. Then I’d showcase Booth…try him on a 3rd line, give him some PP time, see if someone becomes convinced that he’s worth a 6th or 7th rounder at the deadline. Not sure what sneaking him through waivers accomplishes.

Posted by fatsavage on 01/22/18 at 12:14 PM ET

ilovehomers's avatar

Posted by howeandhowe from Seattle on 01/22/18 at 12:11 PM ET

Called it. Nice.

Posted by ilovehomers on 01/22/18 at 12:16 PM ET

Not sure what sneaking him through waivers accomplishes.

Of course you’re not, but then you also don’t understand why they called up Hicketts.

AND you think Booth might have trade value.

Posted by CharDeeMacDennis on 01/22/18 at 12:27 PM ET

I’m just going to throw it out there…sometimes the unnecessary hate towards anything FS posts (whether his post makes sense or not, and he does make many valid points IMO, that seem to go largely unnoticed) is as annoying as FS can be when he gets in a mood.

Posted by Ilovekermit on 01/22/18 at 12:29 PM ET

Posted by ilovehomers on 01/22/18 at 12:16 PM ET

Some people are predictable. Giggle. Giggle. Giggle.

Posted by howeandhowe from Seattle on 01/22/18 at 12:38 PM ET

Posted by Ilovekermit on 01/22/18 at 12:29 PM ET

So we should just excuse his behavior just because he occasionally makes sense me good points? Got it.

Kermit, that’s just like Trump excusing racist people just because they are nice to black people once in a while.

Posted by howeandhowe from Seattle on 01/22/18 at 12:41 PM ET

He hadn’t even said anything yet. He didn’t do anything “wrong” before he was already being made…I don’t know what to call it, made fun of I guess. If he posts something that merits calling him out, by all means. But I just don’t get calling him out before he even does anything on a particular article. Just my opinion.

Posted by Ilovekermit on 01/22/18 at 12:47 PM ET

Thanks Kermit. But the insults don’t really bother me. I have a couple people on ignore so don’t see it anyway, unless others copy and paste.

For the record, at no point have I berated Kenny for not trading Booth. I suspect Booth has zero value right now. I merely suggested, we might be able to build up some value for Booth by giving him a bit more ice-time, with better linemates, and an occasional look on our otherwise awful PP. If he plays well, a contender might prefer having Booth as a 13th or 14th forward rather than an inexperienced kid. Those type of depth deals happen often at the deadline. But even then, I suggested a 6th or 7th round pick.

But it seems the narrative has been exaggerated to try and smear me. I could care less though.

Posted by fatsavage on 01/22/18 at 01:08 PM ET

TreKronor's avatar

WHY DOES KEN HOLLAND HATE THE KIDS!!!  Urghhhghghgh!!!

Wait, how old is Booth?

Posted by TreKronor on 01/22/18 at 02:26 PM ET

Down River Dan's avatar

Actually I thought Booth showed some offensive flashes his past couple games. He was playing on the 4th line, but was making some nice moves to the net with the puck, seemed more confident??

That said:. All Kids, All the time for the last 37 games. Good, Bad, or in between. We can’t catch AZ. Or Buffalo, but we should lock up 3rd.

Posted by Down River Dan on 01/22/18 at 02:32 PM ET

Posted by Down River Dan on 01/22/18 at 02:32 PM ET

Booth has played 122 minutes this year, usually with awful linemates. He has 3 goals.

Helm has played 642 minutes. Mostly with Nielsen, who I understand can pass the puck. Helm has 4 goals. So with that extra 520 minutes, which would equate to playing every single minute for almost 9 straight hockey games…Helm has produced 1 extra goal. But maybe his defensive work on the Match Line make up for that?

Abby has 691 minutes. Including lots of time on the PP. He has 8 goals.

I dunno. I think David Booth can take a regular shift in the bottom 6, chip in some offense, not hurt you defensively, and he does seem to get in on the forecheck better that others. All for a fraction of the price.

But I better be careful about being too positive around Booth. Someone might exaggerate and accuse me of lobbying for him to play on our top line and berating Holland if he doesn’t trade him for a 2nd round pick… rolleyes

Posted by fatsavage on 01/22/18 at 02:51 PM ET

PierreC's avatar

Helm is the number one farce of this current line-up.

...and he had the nerve to say that while KH was preparing his outrageous offer Helm was contemplating other offers….

But wanted to know his “role” first before committing..

geez thank you Helm.

Looking at him play this season makes me want to puke.

Posted by PierreC from Montreal, Canada on 01/22/18 at 04:19 PM ET

Helm is the number one farce of this current line-up.

But wanted to know his “role” first before committing..

geez thank you Helm.

Looking at him play this season makes me want to puke.

Posted by PierreC from Montreal, Canada on 01/22/18 at 04:19 PM ET

The tragedy is Kenny paid Helm like the world’s greatest 3C, when he wasn’t even used at center anymore. At the time, we still had Zee. Larkin was on the way. Still had Sheahan. And Glendening. Apparently Nielsen was the UFA target all along. We also knew that Helm was not a top 6 winger, certainly not on a roster that already featured Nyquist, Tatar, Mantha, Abby, and guys like AA and Svech in the pipeline.

But Kenny gives him $3.85M x 5 years. Because of the babysitter. And then grabs a microphone and calls Helm ELITE. He’s an ELITE puck transporter. Yeah OK Kenny. Please shut up.

Posted by fatsavage on 01/22/18 at 04:52 PM ET

It’s not every over—payment you see justified by the GM
in part because “his agent told me someone else [other team in UFA]
was prepared to offer even more.”

Up to (8) forwards (basically the ones who aren’t young and promising
and at RFA) have bloated contracts. I just don’t see how a GM who always talked
about the need for long-term planning and seeing how each move impacted
the future cap and roster, acted as if the cap was no object in signing all of those players.
At one point he appeared to hint that he had stocked up on forwards so as to be in
a good position to trade for an upgrade on D. Yeah, maybe if you have the type of forwards
another team wants at a price they want.

And yet it’s the young RFA forwards currently on the team who are easily
the biggest reason to feel excited about the present and near-future shape of the team.

Posted by Lefty30 on 01/22/18 at 07:02 PM ET

Oh yeah. That was an awesome summer. We signed a bunch of extra forwards in anticipation of trading some of them for a d-man. Little did he realize that there is a huge premium on d-men, whereas middle 6 wingers are basically a dime-a-dozen every single summer. We’re kicking tires but we’ll probably make a move at training camp, oh wait, maybe after rosters are finalized, oh wait, some teams are giving rookies a 9-game audition, oh wait, maybe at Thanksgiving, oh wait, probably after the Christmas freeze, oh wait, the trade deadline is right around the corner, oh wait, the playoffs are on so GMs will pay more attention right before the draft, oh wait, trades are hard so maybe after free agency…

Posted by fatsavage on 01/22/18 at 07:21 PM ET

Nobody is going to give us anything for David Booth when they can have him for free.

Posted by Vasha on 01/22/18 at 09:09 PM ET

SnarkinLarkin's avatar

Great character shown by Booth tonight. Gets waived and still comes and plays his heart out and scores a goal.

Looks like Bert is staying so Wings have to eventually clear cap/roster space to bring back Abby, Helm, Glendening etc. But why waive him now? It can’t be a roster issue since he played tonight…

Posted by SnarkinLarkin on 01/23/18 at 01:16 AM ET