The Malik Report

Kypreos: NHL will fine Milan Lucic for his spear on Red Wings’ Danny DeKeyser, but won’t suspend him

Updated 4x at 2:09 PM:

Updated with some...odd...commentary from Lucic at 1:18 PM: Per Sportsnet's Nick Kypreos:

The Boston Globe's Amalie Benjamin described the jab as follows...

There was an ugly moment for the Bruins at the end of the second period. It appeared that Milan Lucic speared Danny DeKeyser from behind. Lucic was not available postgame

Again, @myregularface posted a .gif of the spear (please note: posting the image does not equal endorsement thereof, so please stop harassing her on Twitter, Steph's good people), and it's worth noting (as pointed out last night) that TSN's Bob McKenzie may feel that "You Can't Do That," but he did note that there's no precedent for policing such incidents--especially where Lucic is concerned--this year:

I guess this became an issue, per the Detroit News's Gregg Krupa:

My point about #RedWings, lucic. If they do not respond for dekeyser now, next is targeting datsyuk's head, zetterberg's back. DETERRENCE.

Meh. Quoting the Red Wings' coach, who spoke with Fox Sports Detroit's Trevor Thompson last night, one does not poke a team of angry bears:

When asked whether the play should be reviewed: "That's what the league does."

My opinion on Lucic: you've got to play hard between the whistles, but you don't want to engage the Bruins at "their game." They're driven to distract the Wings, and at present, they're doing a fine job of distracting themselves, a la Anaheim, with their preoccupation with physical play. Let them continue to worry about being assholes.

The only thing more disgusting than the behavior SHOULD be Don Cherry's predictable defense thereof--and that should be it.

In playoff hockey, you certainly utilize your opportunities to deliver clean, hard and sometimes aggravating hits between the whistles, if not a not-so-clean jab or two after them, but you don't "go looking" for retaliation for the sake of retaliation.

That's Bruins hockey, not Red Wings hockey.

Update: Erm, uh...

Claude Julien, dick:

Update #3:

BRUINS’ LUCIC FINED $5,000 FOR SPEARING

NEW YORK (April 19, 2014) – Boston Bruins forward Milan Lucic has been fined $5,000 for spearing Detroit Red Wings defenseman Danny DeKeyser during Game 1 of the teams’ First Round Stanley Cup Playoffs series in Boston on Friday, April 18, the National Hockey League’s Department of Player Safety announced today.

The incident occurred at 19:55 of the second period. No penalty was assessed on the play.

The fine money goes to the Players’ Emergency Assistance Fund.

And from the Free Press's Helene St. James:

Lucic got away with the cheap shot of Friday’s Game 1 when he stuck his stick between the legs of Detroit Red Wings defenseman Danny DeKeyser and tugged upwards near the end of the second period. Speaking today after a practice at TD Garden to prepare for Game 2 of the first round series — the Wings lead, 1-0 — Lucic was candid about what he did.

“It was kind of a heat of the moment thing when you’re not thinking and you do something like that,” he said. “I’ve been in the league for seven years and I think I’ve only done that three times. I don’t know why I did it.

“I believe in playing within the rules, and for me, I definitely won’t be heading down that road again.”

Lucic was not penalized at the time, and there’s no harsh discipline on the horizon. “There’s no hearing, but I have to call in,” he said. “We’ll see what happens from that standpoint.”

Update #4: Hmm, part 1:

And, via WEEI's DJ Bean, HMMMMMM...

Prior to the news of the fine, Lucic said he didn’t know why he committed the cheap shot.

“Obviously, it was kind of a heat of the moment thing when you’re not thinking and you do something like that,” Lucic said Saturday. “I’ve been in the league for seven years now. I think I’ve only done that three times. I don’t know I did it, but like I said, it’s one of the heat-of-the-moment that unfortunately I did. I believe in playing within the rules. For me, I definitely won’t be headed down that rode again.”

Asked if the fact that he’s now done it twice in such a short period of time should earn him a reputation, Lucic said he still feels he’s an honest player.

“I never do that. I haven’t done that but unfortunately I’ve done it twice in the little bit here,” Lucic said. “I’m not going to make it a habit. I don’t know why I did it both times, but it’s not going to be a habit of mine. Like I said, I believe in playing between the rules the right way and that’s what I’ll continue to do moving forward.”

While Lucic’s action — and the fact that it’s become a habit — was really bad, it is true that such spears have happened over the years and may not have even gotten a second look years ago. Lucic said it’s happened to him before.

“It happens more times than not,” Lucic said. “But with how much video there is today, it’s a lot harder to get away with.”

Filed in: | The Malik Report | Permalink

Comments

1 2 >       Next »

The Boston Globe’s Amalie Benjamin described the jab as follows…

Apparently, he doesn’t have functioning eyeballs attached to any kind of a brain resembling thereof.

Posted by SYF from The Revenge of Johnny E on 04/19/14 at 11:21 AM ET

Another example of the league going easy on head injuries….

Posted by SlimChance on 04/19/14 at 11:25 AM ET

igrover's avatar

Aaaaannnnnd thats why they are called Massholes.

Posted by igrover on 04/19/14 at 11:26 AM ET

perfection's avatar

I was just going to comment on the word ‘appeared’ as well. It’s apparently still up in the air in Boston whether it even happened

I hope the fine includes some sort of team warning because I notice all they did was
whine about interference and sure enough got an interference call that wouldn’t have been called any other part of the game. You cant bitch about regular penalties when your gameplan involves garbage like this… and I DO think the spear was in fact a part of their gameplan. Not specifically but definitely the goal is to get us to play their game of hate and retribution. It’s not gonna happen.

Posted by perfection from LaLaLand on 04/19/14 at 11:30 AM ET

So how does this fine rectify anything for the Red Wings? How does it penalize Boston and reward Detroit?

This is the kind of shit that drives me crazy.

Posted by VitoLambruski on 04/19/14 at 11:37 AM ET

We are called mass holes cause we will rip out ur hearts & feed it to u.. U ppl want to play with the big boys u people pay. The Bruins are the BIGGEST & BADEST around BECAUSE THE DEAL OUT THE HITS & ANSWER THE TOLL.  THEY PLAY THE GAME WITH PHYSICALITY between every whistle & answer to those who take LIBERTIES. Instead of acting like cowards & crying for a fine or or suspension!!!!! PRAY THAT THE RED SHIRTS HAVE A GUY LIKE LUCIC WHO IS DEEMED THE BEST POWER FORWARD In THE LEAGUE. 1 WHO WARRIOR RESPECT & WILL GET IT BY HIS OWN 2 HANDS IF OTHERS WISE. LUCIC PLAYs WITH RESPECT & DISCIPLINE FOR HIS OWN TEAM.. THIS IS PLAYOFF HOCKEY. THIS IS A PHYSICAL GAME & IF DETROIT CANT HANDLE THE GAME THEN BOW OUT & BE KNOWN AS THE SOFTIES AS U AL READY ARE.. THIS SERIES WILL BE LONG BOSTON WILL FEED OFF THIS & AS BEING SAID FROM DAY 1 BOSTON WILL WIN THIS SERIES IN 6…

Posted by bbmike5781 on 04/19/14 at 11:47 AM ET

Posted by bbmike5781 on 04/19/14 at 12:47 PM ET

Posted by SYF from The Revenge of Johnny E on 04/19/14 at 11:51 AM ET

SK77's avatar

A fine to Lucic for that spear is a pleasant surprise considering he didn’t even get as much in the regular season. End of story and onto Game 2, bitches!

Posted by SK77 on 04/19/14 at 11:53 AM ET

Lucic wasnt available for the media. What a big man.

Posted by brians neck on 04/19/14 at 11:53 AM ET

Zqto's avatar

Posted by bbmike5781

1 game and the morons are already spamming here? This series is gonna be good!

And anyone doubt there was gonna be no suspension?  Come on, its BOS x DET here… Anyone could see that one coming from a mile away

Posted by Zqto on 04/19/14 at 11:57 AM ET

MoreShoot's avatar

Will it cost Lucic more to spear another mans jewels than it did Q to grab his own?

Posted by MoreShoot on 04/19/14 at 12:02 PM ET

harken23's avatar

I think it’s time to Kronwall a bitch.

Posted by harken23 on 04/19/14 at 12:03 PM ET

Spamming! I speak the truth. U ppl are crying like fags for a suspension & fine!!! Play the game quit ur belly aching & pray that some 1 ANYONE will step up & TRY to police the game

Posted by bbmike5781 on 04/19/14 at 12:03 PM ET

George Malik's avatar

Spamming?

U R abusing your privileges.

Posted by George Malik from South Lyon, MI on 04/19/14 at 12:09 PM ET

IwoCPO's avatar

Posted by bbmike5781 on 04/19/14 at 12:47 PM ET

Greatest comment ever.

Posted by IwoCPO from Sunny San Diego, bitches on 04/19/14 at 12:10 PM ET

IwoCPO's avatar

Paul, George: please don’t ban bbmike5781. I’m begging. Please.

Posted by IwoCPO from Sunny San Diego, bitches on 04/19/14 at 12:10 PM ET

HockeytownOverhaul's avatar

As long as Boston are the losers on the scoresheet I don’t care.  Must suck winning presidents trophy then laying an egg game 1 at home when we haven’t won a road game 1 oin 50 years.

And go check out the bruins fan page at hfboards if you want to see ” fags whining and crying”. Its been keeping me entertained since last night.

Posted by HockeytownOverhaul on 04/19/14 at 12:10 PM ET

perfection's avatar

Posted by bbmike5781 on 04/19/14 at 01:03 PM ET

so you’re a oser and a bigot. shocking! and you have no appreciation for what actual hockey is, also (not) shocking.

but whatever, you go ahead keep talking about this stuff while you watch your big bad scary self policing bruins lose to the LAST seed. won’t that be funny? you’ll be all like “but we policed” and we’ll be all like “we WON”. and then we’ll never see you here again.

Posted by perfection from LaLaLand on 04/19/14 at 12:14 PM ET

Bent's avatar

Posted by bbmike5781 on 04/19/14 at 12:47 PM ET

Hah, cute.

Posted by Bent from The U.P. on 04/19/14 at 12:14 PM ET

Paul's avatar

Paul, George: please don’t ban bbmike5781. I’m begging. Please.

Posted by IwoCPO from Sunny San Diego, bitches on 04/19/14 at 01:10 PM ET

You just bought him some time.

Posted by Paul from Motown Area on 04/19/14 at 12:14 PM ET

We laid a egg? Or did we know that this series is long! It’s a best of 7! And played the game or games. Seen what u ppl had. When u can behead the B’s in a best of 7 then speak!! U cry for fines u cry & beg for suspensions. Cause as Det found out last night. Lucic will skate down low up high in the corners & in front of the goal crease & THERE IS NO ANSWER FOR HIM!!!

Posted by bbmike5781 on 04/19/14 at 12:17 PM ET

MoreShoot's avatar

Per Khan tweet:

@AnsarKhanMLive: Lucic expresses remorse for spearing DeKeyser. Said it was heat of moment, and he’s not that kind of player.

Wait, no Ansar, you must have heard it wrong. Milan is a WARRIOR ridding the league of softies.

Posted by MoreShoot on 04/19/14 at 12:17 PM ET

Posted by bbmike5781 on 04/19/14 at 01:03 PM ET

Your XBox Live language just makes it all better.

Posted by SYF from The Revenge of Johnny E on 04/19/14 at 12:17 PM ET

YYZerman's avatar

1 WHO WARRIOR RESPECT & WILL GET IT BY HIS OWN 2 HANDS IF OTHERS WISE.
Posted by bbmike5781 on 04/19/14 at 12:47 PM ET

This. This right here is the best. Either he’s lifting too many weights to proof what he’s writing or he’s got Creed up way to loud to distract him.

Posted by YYZerman from Detroit, Michigan on 04/19/14 at 12:19 PM ET

George Malik's avatar

Please see the comments above.

One might argue that the answer to Milan Lucic is in fact Milan Lucic being a dunderhead.

Posted by George Malik from South Lyon, MI on 04/19/14 at 12:19 PM ET

perfection's avatar

haha!!!!

i love this idea that “soft” players can apparently win NHL playoff games, you know, only one the most physically intense feats of endurance, strength, will and competition.

it’s also funny that from what I could tell, only ONE team and ONE coach were doing all of the whining last night.

I mean, apparently it’s the Wings who are “soft” and yet the epitome of cowardice Brad Marchant actually used his 20 sec in-between period interview to cry about holding calls. HILARIOUS!!!!!

Posted by perfection from LaLaLand on 04/19/14 at 12:23 PM ET

SK77's avatar

Milan Lucic: “I don’t know what I was thinking. I pride myself on playing within the rules, and that’s obviously something I can’t be doing”

Well that sure beats his “Emelin is a chikkn” comment from earlier in the season.

Posted by SK77 on 04/19/14 at 12:28 PM ET

perfection's avatar

We laid a egg? Or did we know that this series is long!

are you implying the Bruins lost on purpose? Rope-a-dope seems like a strange strategy for the presidents trophy winners no?

It’s a best of 7! And played the game or games. Seen what u ppl had.

wait… just reread and realize this broken english doesn’t actually make any sense.

I’m starting to think this is Milan himself making these commentes

Posted by perfection from LaLaLand on 04/19/14 at 12:29 PM ET

George Malik's avatar

I don’t like it when people use the “UR FAGS” defense. I know some very nice hockey fans who are all over the LGBT spectrum.

You know what they like? HOCKEY. Why do they like it? HOCKEY. Does their sexual orientation make them any more or less a hockey fan? NO.

Posted by George Malik from South Lyon, MI on 04/19/14 at 12:36 PM ET

George Malik's avatar

Updated again: $5,000 fine.

Posted by George Malik from South Lyon, MI on 04/19/14 at 12:38 PM ET

stonehands-78's avatar

Posted by bbmike5781 on 04/19/14 at 12:47 PM ET

really ???

Posted by stonehands-78 from the beginning ... a WingsFan, on 04/19/14 at 12:45 PM ET

I love troll season.

Posted by maltby18 on 04/19/14 at 12:49 PM ET

perfection's avatar

Posted by George Malik from South Lyon, MI on 04/19/14 at 01:36 PM ET

I’m with you completely. total bigots.

Posted by perfection from LaLaLand on 04/19/14 at 12:50 PM ET

George Malik's avatar

“Faggots, queers, furries, dykes”...Among my friends. Don’t be “a pussy” and use that excuse.

Please see Mr. Louis C.K. on the bag of dicks.

Posted by George Malik from South Lyon, MI on 04/19/14 at 12:55 PM ET

Red Winger's avatar

Posted by bbmike5781 on 04/19/14 at 12:47 PM ET

ouch ...last night still stings, eh?

Posted by Red Winger from Sault Ste Marie on 04/19/14 at 12:58 PM ET

OlderThanChelios's avatar

Posted by bbmike5781

Last night, it looked like the answer for the “skating wizard” was Jimmy Howard and whichever five guys were on the ice with him. I’m guessing the answer for him in the next game will be – wait for it – more of the same.

Paul, George: please don’t ban bbmike5781. I’m begging. Please.

Posted by IwoCPO from Sunny San Diego

LOL

Posted by OlderThanChelios from Grand Rapids, MI on 04/19/14 at 01:09 PM ET

George Malik's avatar

Please see: Lucic’s comments above.

Posted by George Malik from South Lyon, MI on 04/19/14 at 01:10 PM ET

“I’ve been in the league for seven years now. I think I’ve only done that three times”

Only three times? Give this man the Lady Byng

Posted by ryan-o on 04/19/14 at 01:49 PM ET

Bent's avatar

Claude Julien said the Milan Lucic spear to Dekeyser’s groin “didn’t show up on their video” and that he hasn’t seen it #BruinsTalk

Liar.

Posted by Bent from The U.P. on 04/19/14 at 02:24 PM ET

Still waiting on Dorky Fairy’s equally cheap shot to Jamie Benn.

Posted by SYF from The Revenge of Johnny E on 04/19/14 at 02:29 PM ET