The Malik Report

Kyle Quincey Signs With Denver Cutthroats

from Mike Chambers of All Things Avs,

In the press release, Quincey says: “After spending some time with (Cutthroats owner) Mr. (John) Hayes, I realize we have a common desire to further the development of youth hockey in Colorado which is a primary focus of the Cutthroats. Being able to do that while playing for a coach (Derek Armstrong) who has helped me throughout my career, and staying home in Denver, is an ideal situation for me considering the circumstances.”

Filed in: | The Malik Report | Permalink

Comments

Primis's avatar

*shakes head*

That he still consider Denver “home” when he was there all of what, not even 2 seasons… is it any wonder Wings fans hate the guy?

I also don’t understand his claim that playing for the Cutthroats is somehow helping “develop youth hockey”.  The CHL is not a developmental league, it’s actually a league for vets that can’t keep up in the AHL and ECHL.  And the Cutthroats are a brand new team, so I fail to see what involvement they could already have with actual youth hockey in the area.

Whatever, Kyle.  You’re an overpaid bum.  CHL is probably where you belong anyways.

Posted by Primis on 10/15/12 at 10:32 AM ET

henrymalredo's avatar

Is this seriously worth any kind of venom?

Posted by henrymalredo from Lansing on 10/15/12 at 10:50 AM ET

Yeah, what an *#$%@& he is for not rejecting Denver as a home simply because he is playing hockey elsewhere.  He should change his opinion on what a city is like when he moves to another city for his career.

Anyone who hates him because he likes living in Denver is a complete piece of shit.

Posted by Garth on 10/15/12 at 10:53 AM ET

IwoCPO's avatar

Posted by Garth on 10/15/12 at 10:53 AM ET

I don’t necessarily agree with Garth on this. I happen to dislike a number of people specifically because they have chosen to live in places that are home to teams I despise: Denver, Columbus, St. Louis to name a few.

But I do like the way he, Garth, phrased his feelings. I just do.

Posted by IwoCPO from Sunny San Diego, bitches on 10/15/12 at 10:56 AM ET

henrymalredo's avatar

I’ve never understood the continuing hate for Denver.  The Wings-Avs Rivalry was a huge part of my formative years as a hockey fan and I still watch the highlights of McCarty beating up Lemiuex and the Statue of Liberty Goal, and it was certainlty an intense and unique rivalry (fueled by blood instead of geography) but I just can’t understand why Wings fans here still get riled up every time Denver or the Avs are mentioned.  The Rivalry has essentially been dead for over for a decade now, we won, 3 Cups to their 2 and got the last blow in with the 7-0 shellacking.  The Wings continued to be good and won another Cup while the Avs slid into mediocraty.  Pretty much every player from the Rivalry is retired.  When the Wings and Avs met in the playoffs in 2008, there was no special passion, the Wings played the Avs as they were any other lesser team in the conference.  Heck, the the current captain of the Avs was too young to notice girls the last time the Wings played a meaningful game against the Avs.

Posted by henrymalredo from Lansing on 10/15/12 at 11:31 AM ET

cementslinger's avatar

Posted by henrymalredo from Lansing on 10/15/12 at 11:31 AM ET

So.

Posted by cementslinger from Midland MI on 10/15/12 at 11:38 AM ET

J.J. from Kansas's avatar

Denver is one of the more-beautiful cities in a gorgeous landscape that’s only marred by the scores of miserable shitbricks inhabiting it.

If you can insulate yourself from its inhabitants (like rich people can do), I’m sure you’d find it’s a great place.

Posted by J.J. from Kansas on 10/15/12 at 11:42 AM ET

does he actually say he likes Denver.  He says “staying home” which i took to be more related to him having a residence there, and not having moved to detroit, since he was traded late in the season, was a UFA, and no one expected this season to start on time if ever.

Posted by jwad on 10/15/12 at 12:15 PM ET

Why does everyone hate Quincey and not consider him as a decent d-man? Maybe Colorado didn’t have the best defense, but don’t forget that Quincey had the highest goals/points out of Colorado d-men when he went to Detroit.

Posted by spl1ph on 10/15/12 at 12:16 PM ET

J.J. from Kansas's avatar

Not everyone hates Quincey, spl1ph. It’s just easier not to fight with those who do.

Posted by J.J. from Kansas on 10/15/12 at 12:33 PM ET

Primis's avatar

Posted by spl1ph on 10/15/12 at 12:16 PM ET

Leading scorer on that poor excuse for a blueline is not anything to brag about or put on a resume, and does not qualify you for anything on the Red Wings.

Maybe the venom for Quincey isn’t entirely his own fault but, doesn’t matter.  Ken Holland overpaid to bring him back, I don’t know that he’ll really help DET’s blueline if and when they ever play again, and I don’t understand why some young d-men get such a short leash while guys like Ericsson and Quincey get an endless amount of chances and excuses for some fans and staff alike.  At a certain point, and certain age… you are what you are, and you’re not going to really develop anymore.  I don’t think there’s any more to get out of either Quincey or Ericsson, and Holland’s tilting at windmills.

Posted by Primis on 10/15/12 at 01:55 PM ET

I’m just grateful he is willing to toss the mitts and play physical. I’ve seen a lot of people bring up his suspension, late in the game, against Florida I believe. Penalties aren’t great, but at least he plays hard. Nothing against Kronwall, Smith, or White, but it sure as hell wouldn’t hurt the Wings to have a big d-man who plays with a big bag of knuckles in front of the net.
Ericsson and Colaiacovo couldn’t intimidate Cindy on another concussion. Not that Quincey can shine Probert’s shoes, but he should be capable of playing solid defense. I know the Wings have some young big kids in the system, but they can use one now. Too bad guys like Chara don’t grow on trees, or every d-man can’t hit like Kronwall.

Posted by spl1ph on 10/15/12 at 02:19 PM ET

J.J. from Kansas's avatar

What endless amount of chances for Quincey? The guy has played all of 36 total games in a Red Wings uniform. 23 of those games happened this season when the Red Wings went 6-13-4 (including the 1-4 playoff record).

If you’re going to throw out the hockey that Quincey played on other squads (where he did so pretty well), then fine. But I wouldn’t say he’s exactly at the “endless chances and excuses portion” just yet, especially considering he’s a better defenseman than Jakub Kindl, who’s played 106 games in a Wings uniform.

Posted by J.J. from Kansas on 10/15/12 at 02:31 PM ET

Posted by Primis on 10/15/12 at 01:55 PM ET

Sorry, but Quincey has had an endless amount of chances?  By my count he’s played 31 games in a Red Wings uniform, 13 of which were having a cup of coffee while he was a developing AHLer and 18 of which were when he was thrown onto a team with a handful of games left and not given a chance to acclimate to his new team.  This is his first genuine chance as a Red Wing.

He played well on LA and he led Colorado in points.  Make excuses all you want, but it’s true.  He may be overpaid (and I agree that he is) but it’s not like he’s been a guy who has been given chance after chance to step out of the bottom-six and hasn’t been able to do so.  He was a solid player on two different teams before coming back to Detroit.

Posted by Garth on 10/15/12 at 02:33 PM ET

By my count he’s played 31

Whoops, that’s 36.  Didn’t count his five playoff games.

Posted by Garth on 10/15/12 at 02:34 PM ET

J.J. from Kansas's avatar

Well goddammit, now I’m going to have to play both sides, aren’t I?

The penalty he took and the suspension he got for giving Tomas Kopecky a leaping headshot was a shitty move and the kind of thing I’d like to see him never pull again.

Also, yeah, Quincey takes WAY too many penalties. 37 minors last year was 2nd in the entire league for D-Men.

Posted by J.J. from Kansas on 10/15/12 at 02:41 PM ET

HockeytownOverhaul's avatar

Posted by J.J. from Kansas on 10/15/12 at 11:42 AM ET

Sounds exactly like Columbus.. minus the beautiful city/gorgeous landscape part.

Posted by HockeytownOverhaul on 10/15/12 at 04:30 PM ET

HockeytownOverhaul's avatar

My probem with Q started when he started complaining he didn’t get a stanley cup ring when he was a black ace after he got nabbed by L.A.

Wait, I guess it started just before that when he let Derek Meech beat him out for a roster spot because he played like he was entitled to one, that pissed me off because I knew he could be top 4 easy.

Then you have the comments he made about Denver to the effect of, “lots of people hate it there and have their bags packed HOPING for a trade”.. that’s what the sentiment of his statement was.  Again, douche move.  Not a lot of respect for a team that made him a 1-2 dman on their squad.

Then you have the stupid penalties.. more the classless penalties, like the Kopy headshot mentioned above.  He’s got a string of douchiness in the way he conducts himself that makes him hard to like, even on a personal level as much as we fans can “know” a professional athlete.

It’d probably be easy to swallow all that if he came in and started contributing.  But instead he never meshed back in, didn’t play physical when he should and played too physical when he shuldn’t costing bad penalties at bad times, a habit Abby had picked up as well that got him on a lot of shit lists around here.

I still think the guy can do great thing if he gets that chip off his shoulder and quits playing like he’s trying to prove he belongs there and just starts playing smart.

Posted by HockeytownOverhaul on 10/15/12 at 04:39 PM ET

It’s hardly fair to blame a guy who was waived, then proved himself to be a top pairing defenseman (on, admittedly, a team with much shallower D) and then gets traded back to the team that waived him and suddenly finds himself #5 on the depth chart.  Hopefully with a two-year contract under his belt he’ll be more comfortable and able to play a smarter game.

Posted by Garth on 10/15/12 at 07:00 PM ET

HockeytownOverhaul's avatar

I think it’s perfectly fair to blame him, he’s a league veteran and professional going through things that are very common throughout this profession.

And why did he find himself #5 on the depth chart?  Did he play like he was better than that?

Listen, I’m rooting for the guy but to act like he’s a victim of his circumstance and shouldn’t be asked to play hockey to the best of his ability is ridiculous

Posted by HockeytownOverhaul on 10/15/12 at 07:09 PM ET

HockeytownOverhaul's avatar

oh, and lest we forget WHY Qbert got waived, he couldn’t out compete Derek Meech for a roster spot.

Posted by HockeytownOverhaul on 10/15/12 at 07:12 PM ET

Wow, 26 games is a league veteran?  Because that’s how many games he had played, over the course of three seasons, when he was bitter about being waived by the Red Wings.

And why did he find himself #5 on the depth chart?

Because he came to a team that had a first pairing of Listrom & White and a second pairing of Kronwall & Stuart.

Was that a trick question?

shouldn’t be asked to play hockey to the best of his ability is ridiculous

Who said he shouldn’t be asked to play to the best of his ability?  My issue is that he’s being judged on less than a quarter of a season.

Or he had a bad camp/pre and the Wings had 9 defensemen and Meech was more versatile because he could be the 13th forward as well as the 8th defenseman.  Let’s not pretend that there was some clear cut decision being made.  The decision was to keep one young guy who was going to get very little playing time on defense but could fill in as the 12th forward if need be and get rid of one young guy who was going to get very little playing time on defense and doesn’t play forward.

And Holland has said that he like getting rid of Quincey in the first place (and if you don’t believe it, then you have to wonder why Holland brought him back) and that if he had the decision to make again he wouldn’t have waived Quincey.

Posted by Garth on 10/15/12 at 10:47 PM ET

HockeytownOverhaul's avatar

No you said it was cummulation of effects thaat led him to shotty play second time around incliding gettign waived.. well hes got how many seasons uunder his belt and top pair minutes etc.. why should he suc that bad after getting traded.. because of shit that happned years ago?

And he went to LA and started producing quickly.. made himself necessary i should say.. so he couldnt beat out meech bc meech was versatile as an 8thhour d man but Q could go somewhere else and take on top of 4the competition?  He didnt compete and it cost him his job so even if he WAS still mad about being waived years ago hes only got himself to blame

Posted by HockeytownOverhaul on 10/16/12 at 02:48 AM ET

HockeytownOverhaul's avatar

If anything we should have had a stellar advantage getting a top 4 d to play bottom pair.. but he remained a liability against weaker than normal comppetition or at best the same as he was used to.

Seems he had more character when he was youunger getting waived and lighting a fire than he is now by your surmission

Posted by HockeytownOverhaul on 10/16/12 at 02:51 AM ET

shanetx's avatar

Not a lot of respect for a team that made him a 1-2 dman on their squad.

Yeah, that wasn’t really what happened.  They made him a #1-2 for a season.  Then this year they arbitrarily bumped him to #3-4 because they had invested so much in Johnson (via trade) and Klesla (via contract).  At the deadline the word was that Quincey felt he had outplayed both, had earned the first pairing position, and was routinely slotted behind them - a contention that ice time, effectiveness and points scored seemed to support.

Ultimately, he comes across as a bit of a spoiled, entitled guy who takes slights as grievances rather than challenges.  But that doesn’t make him nearly as useless as some folks seem to indicate.  It feels like now that the Wings actually had a goalie we all like…  Someone else has to be the punching bag.

Posted by shanetx from Floydada, Texas on 10/16/12 at 09:07 AM ET

HockeytownOverhaul's avatar

Like when White got to be 1st pairing with Lidstrom over Kronwall and Stuart?

It wasn’t Klesla it was Hjeda and he was a top pairing in columbus as shut-down guy and veteran so they put him with young offensive minded Johnson to cover his mistakes.

He had very similar numbers to Johnson as well, so what’s the big deal?  Team first right?  Professional right?  He had 1 more goal than Johnson and was +4 on him but was still negative +/-.  Considering what they gave to get him, wouldn’t it make sense to try to continue to develop him?

Only reason I pointed that out was that it was brought up in Garths arguement as to why Q felt slighted coming back to Detroit and didn’t play to his potential.

Like I said before, I’m rooting for the guy and I think he can be good, I was mad when we waived him feeling like he had more upside than Meech and I think if he gets that chip off his shoulder he’ll be solid big bodied puck mover who can get you between 20-30 points.  Not like I want him to fail, but knowing his skill level and what he’s capable of, we absolutely SHOULD hold him accountable for his play on the ice.

You can’t tell me we had any Dmen last year that were as much of a liability as Q after he came over.  3 pnts and 29 penalty minutes.  Thinnk Stuey had 30 all years.  Liability.

Posted by HockeytownOverhaul on 10/16/12 at 07:00 PM ET