The Malik Report

Kulfan: Wings still waiting on Datsyuk

From the Detroit News's Ted Kulfan, via RedWingsFeed:

Red Wings general manager Ken Holland expects to meet with Pavel Datsyuk early next week, and hopes to have a decision on the center’s future shortly after that.

“I know Pavel is coming back to Detroit in the middle of June, he has a camp that week, and we’re going to meet before that,” Holland said.

Datsyuk either will return to the Red Wings or head home to Russia — to be close to his daughter to finish his playing career in the Kontinental League.

If he leaves the Red Wings, Datsyuk does so with one year and a $7.5 million salary cap hit.

Datsyuk, who’ll be 38 in July, is hosting a hockey camp June 17-21 at Orchard Lake St. Mary’s.

Kulfan continues, stating that the Wings' assistant coaching search is down to the short strokes, and updating Darren Helm and Drew Miller's situations (talks have begun)...

Filed in: | The Malik Report | Permalink

Comments

Kate from PA now in SC-made in Detroit's avatar

Never say never.  wink

Lets Go Red Wings!!!!!

Posted by Kate from PA now in SC-made in Detroit on 06/06/16 at 07:24 PM ET

Shanny_Fan's avatar

He is coming back.

Posted by Shanny_Fan on 06/06/16 at 08:55 PM ET

He is coming back.

Posted by Shanny_Fan on 06/06/16 at 09:55 PM ET

My biggest hope this summer.

Posted by SYF from fishing with Vicky Stark on 06/06/16 at 09:07 PM ET

Figaro's avatar

Maybe Kenny can make a significant contribution to Pavel’s camp in an attempt to stay in Pavel’s good graces…

Posted by Figaro from Los Alamos, NM on 06/06/16 at 10:02 PM ET

d ca's avatar

[quote Holland said he’s made a contract offer to potential unrestricted free agent forward Darren Helm, but has yet to hear from Helm or his agent.]

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

Helm can’t finish will be played as a top 6 guy when he is really a 3rd line center—the same position/TOI that AA should be getting. Thanks KH sure you don’t want Cleary back too?

Posted by d ca on 06/06/16 at 10:22 PM ET

Helm is a very useful bottom 6 forward. As long as he is not featured as a top 6 forward and not used on a PP and paid like a bottom 6 forward, I would love to have him back. Unfortunately KH recent track record does not give me any hope Helm will be paid like a bottom 6 guy.

Posted by VPalmer on 06/07/16 at 07:30 AM ET

I’d like to have Helm back as well but he’s going to get paid more than he is worth to the Wings on the open market. They cannot afford to pay him like he is a top 6 forward or commit to him long term. Helm’s best days are either behind him or will be soon. AA can handle his duties just fine. If Holland re-signs him and it isn’t a really friendly contract he is making a big mistake. But, I almost expect that. He should have been traded before the deadline.

As for Datsyuk. I’m saving the glimmer of hope he may return. I just hope Holland doesn’t use that return like he does injured players coming back prior to the trade deadline. Convincing Pavel to return is not a bold move. Holland needs to find additional ways to make the team better for the long run.

Posted by evileye on 06/07/16 at 09:45 AM ET

If Pav returns, we have no chance at Stammer.

Posted by Matt_in_MI on 06/07/16 at 11:45 AM ET