The Malik Report

Kulfan: Larry Murphy’s aware of the #bringbackMurph movement

This morning, MLive's Ansar Khan broke the news that Fox Sports Detroit fired Red Wings color commentator Larry Murphy before the Wings-Flames game, and this afternoon, the Detroit News's Ted Kulfan spoke to Murphy about his firing...

"I certainly wasn't expecting it; I was surprised," said Murphy, who had been with the network since 2002-03. "I was shocked. I didn't know anything was up. I certainly didn't see it coming."

Murphy was told of the decision by Greg Hammaren, senior vice-president/general manager of FSD. An e-mail to Hammaren wasn't immediately returned.

"They said that ratings were down and they looking to make changes," said Murphy, who turned to broadcasting after a Hall of Fame, 21-year career in the NHL, ending with the Red Wings.

And the #bringbackMurph movement on Twitter and Facebook:

He isn't sure what his next step is but said he has been "overwhelmed" by the support he has received on social media.

"I don't want to leave Detroit, I really enjoy living here," said Murphy, who also did work for the NHL Network for three seasons before ending that relationship two years ago to concentrate solely with Fox Sports Detroit. "It's an emotional time right now, so I'm just going to take a couple of weeks and decide from there. I don't want to make a decision like that right now. This is just real disappointing and out of the blue."

Filed in: | The Malik Report | Permalink

Comments

They said that ratings were down and they looking to make changes

I guess the teams record has no bearing on the ratings.

Posted by timbits on 03/23/13 at 06:39 PM ET

harken23's avatar

I guess the teams record has no bearing on the ratings.

...or the lockout. That was soooooo 2012.

Posted by harken23 on 03/23/13 at 06:57 PM ET

...or the lockout. That was soooooo 2012

If it were the lockout it would mean it only affected Detroit. Virtually every market has seen tv ratings go up, even Phoenix’s TV ratings are up.

Posted by timbits on 03/23/13 at 09:52 PM ET

Savage Henry's avatar

This whole deal reminds me of the idiots who fired Ernie Harwell because they wanted to change things up.

Posted by Savage Henry on 03/23/13 at 10:33 PM ET

NIVO's avatar

so if we dont get Murph back, then who? Dougie Brownov? D-Mac?

Posted by NIVO from underpants gnome village on 03/23/13 at 10:37 PM ET

OlderThanChelios's avatar

It could be the glasses. FSD may have thought the look was too “high-brow” for its audience. Or maybe it’s that Murph just plain sucks at the job. But it’s definitely one of the two. smile

Posted by OlderThanChelios from Grand Rapids, MI on 03/24/13 at 01:20 AM ET

harken23's avatar

I’d argue that Wings fans are a bit more sophisticated and have more hockey sense than the Phoenix market, and that, in addition to the Wings’s mediocre record, there really IS some blowback from the lockout.

Posted by harken23 on 03/24/13 at 08:13 AM ET