The Malik Report

Kulfan gets an interesting trade deadline quote from Red Wings coach Mike Babcock

I just updated the Wings-Devils game-day post, but even though it's so close to game time--and I am quite superstitious about posting within an hour of puck drop (hate it)--the Detroit News's Ted Kulfan had a conversation with Red Wings coach Mike Babcock that merits mentioning, especially after the Flyers somehow fleeced the Isles out of Andrew MacDonald (Does Ed Snider have compromising pictures of Garth Snow building a fort with his gigantic goalie pads? With a goat?).

Anyway, here's what Babcock had to say to Kulfan about his trade deadline input...

As for Babcock, he's not paying much attention to the entire process.

"Zero," Babcock said. "If they phone me, I give them my two cents, and if they don't, what am I going to do? The way I look at it is we have a group I believe is going in the right direction and we have a lot of kids on the farm (in the minor leagues). We're excited about what we have here."

And Gustav Nyquist delivered an equally interesting take on the fact that his center in Ottawa and Montreal was Pavel Datsyuk, but tonight, "Goose-tav" and Johan Franzen are lining up with Joakim Andersson between them. Nyquist also played alongside Henrik Zetterberg for a time, but all of a sudden, there's an #18 in the middle instead of #13 or #40:

"That's just the situation we're in now," Nyquist said. "Those are two really important guys for us, but we have the team we have now, and the guys who are going to play. Hopefully some of us can step up."

There will be some adjustment, said coach Mike Babcock, but injuries and players leaving the lineup throughout the season has been the norm.

"You do what you do," Babcock said. "Obviously they're elite players, but the reality is we've played lots of the season without them. You adjust and play. I've spent less time than in this interview thinking about (playing without Datsyuk and Zetterberg) and way more thinking about our team."

Filed in: | The Malik Report | Permalink

Comments

Hootinani's avatar

Just as an FYI, Vanek will be a healthy scratch tonight.  Not that I think or want the Wings to get him, just sharing the info.

Posted by Hootinani from the parade following Babs out of town on 03/04/14 at 07:49 PM ET

MoreShoot's avatar

How many games before the Olympic trade deadline did Kenny say, well, let’s see what they do over the next 10?  I seem to remember they delivered pretty good then. And we’ve looked good after the break. Hope the team isn’t hoping.

Posted by MoreShoot on 03/04/14 at 08:09 PM ET

Wings_in_NYC's avatar

We Wings fans shouldn’t even care about the trade deadline. Nothing has happened nor will happen with Kenny as GM. I’m not suggesting that he should attempt to pull off some blockbuster either. Some help on the blueline would be nice (somehow dumping Q?), but that’s clearly just wishful thinking. This is the team that will make the push for year 23 of the playoffs.

Posted by Wings_in_NYC on 03/04/14 at 09:51 PM ET

Slegr, Lang, Schneider, Chelios, Bertuzzi, Stuart. Just in recent memory. You’re right, Ken Holland has never done anything at the deadline.

Posted by fromdowntown on 03/04/14 at 10:07 PM ET

Wings_in_NYC's avatar

Slegr played, what, 8 games + playoffs for the Wings in 2001 - 2002? Schneider, Slegr, Lang, Chelios all pre cap. Slegr and Lang…heh. The others, yes were solid including Stuart. Bert is Bert. So-so at times and currently in the twilight of his career. What has he done the last 5 years?

Take off the rose colored glasses that are making you see Kenny as a tradeline guru. Since the salary cap he has lost any and all of his creativity.

Posted by Wings_in_NYC on 03/04/14 at 10:15 PM ET

Wings_in_NYC's avatar

I see Bert just scored a PPG. In Kenny we trust!!

Posted by Wings_in_NYC on 03/04/14 at 10:23 PM ET

I never said he was a guru. You say he has never done anything. Those are trade deadline moves that helped the team at the time, whether they were top 6 forwards/top4 d-men or depth players. smile

Posted by fromdowntown on 03/04/14 at 10:24 PM ET

Also you did not pre-qualify with this “pre-cap era” or “last five years” nonsense. You account for extraneous variables BEFORE a hypothesis, not after.

Posted by fromdowntown on 03/04/14 at 10:25 PM ET

Wings_in_NYC's avatar

Oh good gravy. I thought we were talking in the here and now not 2001. I am post qualifying. When Kenny had the open wallet pre-cap he did whatever he wanted because Mike’s pockets were deep. I still don’t understand how Slegr and Lang are considered some kind of blockbusters in your world. To me, lumping them in there is ‘nonsense,’ but hey if you bought the jersey when they were brought on board so be it.

So I edit myself…..Kenny hasn’t done squat in the last 5 years (actually more, but I figured I wouldn’t go back that far for you).

Posted by Wings_in_NYC on 03/04/14 at 10:36 PM ET

shanetx's avatar

I think you are near-criminally underestimating Robert Lang.  He was leading the league in points when they traded for him and continued to do so until being injured much later in the year.  He was well over 1 ppg and was an all star that season.  He may have grown frustrating shortly after but at the time of the trade he was a big deal- probably more so than a Thomas Vanek is today if we’re being honest and not engaging in hindsight based evaluation.

Vanek peaked seasons ago.  It wasn’t as clear that Lang was at his apex at that point, even if there was some writing on the wall.

Posted by shanetx from Floydada, Texas on 03/05/14 at 01:08 AM ET

Holland should be fired for one trade that no decent G.M. would ever even consider. #1 pick for Kyle Quincy. First of all, we dumped Quincy off years ago because he wasn’t good. Why bring him back when you know he is bad? Second, a first round pick in the red wings organization has a damn good chance of turning into a top four d-man or top six forward for years to come. Quincy never had that chance. He scored a few points with Colorado one year, who were awful at that time and he was suddenly worth a first round pick? I recall far better defencemen going in trades for far less. I wont even talk about the resigning of Mikael Samuelson or the bringing back Dan Cleary or telling us Val Fillipula wanted too much money when he signed with Tampa for the same amount we offered him. How has Stephen Weiss worked out? Ken Holland was good when anyone with an owner with deep pockets had a 50/50 shot of being called a genius G.M. The only good thing I can say about Holland is he hasn’t traded away any of our amazing young talent, that he has very little to do with finding. Bring in Steve Yzerman in the next year or two and let Holland go prove himself in say Florida or Toronto.

Posted by 1996mybestyear on 03/05/14 at 12:30 PM ET