The Malik Report

Krupa, Khan: Senators defenseman Jared Cowen expresses remorse for hit on Red Wings’ Pavel Datsyuk

The Ottawa Senators practiced ahead of Sunday's reunion with Red Wings forward Daniel Alfredsson, and the Detroit News's Gregg Krupa reports that Senators defenseman Jared Cowen may have had one more thing going for him in terms of dodging a suspension: remorse:

jared cowen, 6'5", 225 pound defenseman who hit datsyuk last week, said, "i feel bad he got hurt. i didn't want to. it was just... 1/2

...

2/2 "one of those quick plays where i was just trying to get a bump on him, going back to the net. obviously, it caught him in the chin."

...

can i say one thing in young cowen's defense? his elbows are a just about everyone else's head.

...

that said, the red wings must do what they can to protect datsyuk and zetterberg. b. probert: "no one touches stevie."

That doesn't change the fact that Datsyuk's still concussed, of course. MLive's Ansar Khan confirms Cowen's comments in article form:

Ottawa Senators defenseman Jared Cowen said he feels bad that his errant elbow injured Pavel Datsyuk and said he hopes the Detroit Red Wings star returns to the action soon.

“I feel bad he got hurt; I didn’t mean to (injure him),’’ Cowen said Saturday, after practice at the Canadian Tire Centre. “It was one of those quick plays where you just want to get a bump on him before you go back to the net. Obviously, caught him on the chin. I didn’t feel like it was that hard, though. I never really hit a guy in the face with an elbow before, so I felt bad. But at the time, I didn’t really mean to hit him in the face.’’

Concussion-like symptoms will keep Datsyuk idled for a fourth consecutive game Sunday, when the Red Wings visit the Senators (5:30 p.m., Fox Sports Detroit). He is listed as day-to-day but has skated only briefly (for 10 minutes on Wednesday) since that game.

Datsyuk was injured with 7:48 remaining in the third period of Ottawa’s 4-2 victory in Detroit on Nov. 23. He played three more shifts but didn’t feel well after the game.

“I think I hit him right in the button … just by chance it got him right in the spot,’’ the 6-foot-5, 228-pound Cowen said. “It’s too bad. I hope he’s back, but at the same time, (it was an) accident.’’

Khan continues, and again, here's the hit:

Filed in: | The Malik Report | Permalink

Comments

If you cause a car accident and hurt someone, you are made responsible for that and face consequences. I don’t understand why Cowen has not been punished in any way.

Posted by griffinsfan on 11/30/13 at 03:42 PM ET

perfection's avatar

I agree that he should have been punished… the facial contact may have been an accident, but the throwing out of the elbow in order to compensate for being an inferior skater is reckless at the least, especially seeing that it was also late AND was the culmination of an obvious gameplan of goonery.

With all that said, I sure hope “the red wings must do what they can to protect datsyuk and zetterberg. b. probert: “no one touches stevie.”” isn’t somehow implying that we need to exact some kind of revenge. I really don’t think there was an intent to injure on this play, but rather a poor decision by a player who can’t do what Pav can do. I think the chops to the back of the legs earlier in the game were probably more egregious in an “intent” sense. But with the way we are rolling, we should continue to do what we are doing. We are playing great hockey and do not need to distract ourselves with trying to rectify Shanny’s decision not to suspend or fine. Hell, I hate to say it, but assuming there’s no longterm issues with Dats, Cowen has appeared to do us a favor of sorts. It appears that losing Pav for a short time was just the injection of self reliance the secondary scorers needed. If Pav comes back and the rest of the team continues to play like they are, we are going to be a force. Can we say it wouldn’t have happened if Pav doesn’t get hurt? Of course not, but it makes sense that losing the best player in the world might have that effect (the “Malkin effect”?).

Posted by perfection from LaLaLand on 11/30/13 at 03:52 PM ET

I don’t understand why Cowen has not been punished in any way.

Posted by griffinsfan on 11/30/13 at 02:42 PM ET

It’s Shanahanigans.  Nebulous ruling.

Posted by SYF from the team that re-signed KFQ and DFC by KFH on 11/30/13 at 03:52 PM ET

SK77's avatar

I love the smell of beaten, dead horse in the morning.

Posted by SK77 on 11/30/13 at 04:06 PM ET

George Malik's avatar

I’m tired of the story, too, but I’ve got to report it. And I don’t expect the Wings to engage in any cheap shit. They’ve got a game to win tomorrow and that’s what matters.

Posted by George Malik from South Lyon, MI on 11/30/13 at 04:20 PM ET

RW19's avatar

“It was one of those quick plays where you just want to get a bump on him before you go back to the net ...  I didn’t really mean to hit him in the face.’’

So as is typical in hockey and i said from the outset, Cowan was going to get a piece of him puck or no puck. He intended to hit him in some way. He was trying to slow him down. This was no accidental lifting of the arm. He just let fly a ‘chicken wing’ and injured him. Just like Steckel was just going to give Crosby an innocent ‘blind side’ bump .... that how hockey is played. Always has been always will be. Heck look at Z working over whiny Toews last spring. We loved it.

The issue is that when your extra shots go bad, like here, you need to be willing to pay the price. Either from the office of the Shanahan or from the first of the Probie.

In this case nothing happens and the 6’5 Cowan will just do it again and be remorseful again. Dumb league.

Posted by RW19 on 11/30/13 at 04:43 PM ET

MurrayChadwick's avatar

I gotta tell you, I’m still not happy about the Wing response. While I understand there will be nothing done tomorrow, at the time, you don’t let your best player get dotted with nothing said or done, it was a poor showing by the Red Wings.

Posted by MurrayChadwick on 11/30/13 at 05:19 PM ET

Per an earlier TMR post, no lineup changes.  So I guess the best revenge is winning the game rather than getting our pound of flesh outta Cowan.

Posted by SYF from the team that re-signed KFQ and DFC by KFH on 11/30/13 at 05:25 PM ET

i know we are all pissed at Cowen but damn do i wish he was on the wings.

Posted by brians neck on 11/30/13 at 07:11 PM ET

I don’t understand why Cowen has not been punished in any way.

Not all people who cause a car accident go to jail or are even fined.

Posted by Garth on 11/30/13 at 07:13 PM ET

Love the overreaction to an accidental play.

BURN THE WITCH!

Posted by HockeyinHD on 11/30/13 at 07:32 PM ET

George Malik's avatar

[sarcasm] Yeah, geez, I wonder why people get so worked up over Pavel Datsyuk getting concussed…I mean, the guy said he didn’t mean to do it, give him a break [/sarcasm]

Seriously? Give ME a break. People are allowed to be upset about this hit a week later. Accidental or not accidental, it was negligent, and it concussed somebody who’s still dealing with the after-effects thereof.

Posted by George Malik from South Lyon, MI on 11/30/13 at 07:39 PM ET

J.J. from Kansas's avatar

i know we are all pissed at Cowen but damn do i wish he was on the wings.

Sens fans were hoping he’d be suspended just so he’d come out of their lineup.

Posted by J.J. from Kansas on 11/30/13 at 07:45 PM ET

Kate from Pa.-made in Detroit's avatar

Posted by MurrayChadwick on 11/30/13 at 04:19 PM ET

This inaction from anyone of Dangles team mates is a sore spot. No matter what the outcome(we have no tough-guys) any response would have been in order at some point before the game was over.  You know, just to send a message. Who knows, maybe tomorrow will bring some kind of retribution.  A good old fashioned beat down would be just fine with me, and, I am not a fan of fighting. A win on top of that would make my day.

Let’s Go Red Wings!!!!!

Posted by Kate from Pa.-made in Detroit on 11/30/13 at 09:17 PM ET

redxblack's avatar

There seem to be two commenters on any thread - lovable homers and trolling contrarians. I’m so happy to be in the former than the latter camp because I can’t imagine how awful it would be if my joy in life came from pretending to be so much smarter than everyone else.

That said, Cowen was outclassed, outmatched and desperate. He threw an elbow trying to get something when there was nothing to be had and something bad happened. A suspension and/or a beating won’t make him realize his mistake more than he does already. It also won’t make him less likely to do it again in the same circumstance.

Posted by redxblack from Akron Ohio on 11/30/13 at 11:53 PM ET

Posted by HockeyinHD on 11/30/13 at 06:32 PM ET

If that’s the case you would have been burned at least two years ago.

Posted by howeandhowe on 12/01/13 at 12:38 AM ET

OlderThanChelios's avatar

Love the overreaction to an accidental play.

BURN THE WITCH!

Posted by HockeyinHD

Well, I tried to give this guy a chance to prove he really wasn’t a troll, but he’s failed at it miserably.

Now, where is that “Ignore List” button? Oh, right. There it is. Click.

Posted by OlderThanChelios from Grand Rapids, MI on 12/01/13 at 01:45 AM ET