The Malik Report

Khan: Shane Doan’s on a grand tour, and KH wants Doan to stop in Detroit to talk to the Red Wings

Via RedWingsFeed, MLive’s Ansar Khan offers some welcome relief to what has otherwise been a bit of a frustrating week and weekend for Red Wings fans, stating that Red Wings GM Ken Holland wants Shane Doan to come to Detroit as the unrestricted free agent forward continues his “grand tour” of possible suitors’ rinks and visits with their respective front office personnel:

Detroit Red Wings general manager Ken Holland said Sunday that he hopes to meet face-to-face with Shane Doan, as the club continues its pursuit of the free-agent forward.

Doan met with the Rangers and Philadelphia Flyers over weekend, after attending NHL labor talks in New York on Friday.

His agent, Terry Bross, did not respond to messages Sunday. But Bross told the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review that Doan likely will meet with a couple of more teams, including the Penguins.

Doan, 35, is in the process of determining whether to re-sign with the Phoenix Coyotes or go elsewhere. Bross has said Doan would prefer to remain in Phoenix, where he has played since 1996, but that the team’s unsettled ownership situation has cast some doubt of his future. Doan wants some assurance that the franchise won’t relocate following the 2012-13 season. The Red Wings are seeking a top-six forward and Doan is their main target.

Filed in: | The Malik Report | Permalink

Comments

PenguinJuice's avatar

Shane, I had to relocate to Michigan from Pittsburgh, trust me….go to Pittsburgh.

Posted by PenguinJuice on 07/23/12 at 12:28 AM ET

MsRedWingFan's avatar

Posted by PenguinJuice on 07/22/12 at 10:28 PM ET

hahahaha OF course you’re gonna say that lmaoooooooooo

Posted by MsRedWingFan from West Michigan hometown of Abdelkader on 07/23/12 at 12:31 AM ET

Chris from NOHS's avatar

Jesus, unless you are in the SE area of MI, there’s nothing about Pennsylvania that Michigan can’t match or beat.

Well other than jobs.  I wish there was more of those.

Posted by Chris from NOHS from Columbus, OH/Grand Rapids, MI on 07/23/12 at 12:35 AM ET

PenguinJuice's avatar

It’s to hot up here, and the winter was to mild. I miss the snow and cold.

Posted by PenguinJuice on 07/23/12 at 12:35 AM ET

Yikes.  Bertuzzi and Doan on Dangles’ wings?

Oy vey…I touch myself.

Posted by SYF from the team that re-signed KFQ and DFC by KFH on 07/23/12 at 12:55 AM ET

Of course KH wants to meet with Doan. That’s not news. As we’ve seen a number of times this offseason, that means nothing unless the interest is mutual. I’m not feeling confident at all and think the Wings should pounce now on Semin before its too late. If Doan wants on board, sign him too - then we can move other assets/budget to get within the cap in a trade for a Dman (Yandle please!) before the season starts.

Posted by Ryan from Toronto on 07/23/12 at 12:57 AM ET

cementslinger's avatar

Unfortunately I’m forced to drive to Pittsburgh every weekend from Saginaw and then stop in Detroit on my return trip.  I’d take the constructions, lane closures, accidents and traffic in Detroit over the batshitcrazyness of Shittsburgh any day of the year.

Posted by cementslinger from Midland MI on 07/23/12 at 01:04 AM ET

So tired of hearing about Doan. Alexander Semin is still out there, and his price is only going to go up after someone over pays for Doan.

Don’t be that GM, Kenny. At least, not again.

Posted by AppState on 07/23/12 at 01:11 AM ET

Posted by AppState on 07/22/12 at 11:11 PM ET

He doesn’t want Semin.  He wants players who give a shit.

Posted by Garth on 07/23/12 at 01:22 AM ET

NIVO's avatar

Makes perfect sense to me Ryan, i’m with ya. Get Semin while the gettin’ is good, and hope to get Doan as a bonus. We can then possibly make some roster moves for Yandle. And if we don’t land Yandle, atleast there were attempts made. Its all you can do.

Posted by NIVO from underpants gnome village on 07/23/12 at 01:32 AM ET

lets sign as many free agent forwards as we possibly can to have a monopoly of them then deal for a top 4 dman

Posted by Lord QWZ from Lansing on 07/23/12 at 02:11 AM ET

Chet's avatar

let’s save some cap space, not overpay for any of these idiots, not get robbed on the trade market, finish seventh, and get eliminated in the first round again! who’s in!?

(hint: you better be!)

Posted by Chet from twitter: thegansen on 07/23/12 at 02:38 AM ET

Make Doan an offer he can’t refuse. Let’s get that crazy faced *#$%@& into a wings sweater! On a side note, am I the only one biased against semin for that fight he had with mark staal? I wouldn’t mind the wings picking him up but I could never root for him as an individual based on that fight. Maybe I’m Being unfair.

Posted by NHLrick on 07/23/12 at 04:07 AM ET

RWBill's avatar

Ask yourselves, with so many teams with so much money under the cap, why have not any of them, not a one, snapped up Semin?  It’s been an extraordinarily thin FA market, yet this +-27 year old who has averaged 31 goals a year can’t get a serious offer.  Every one of 8 or 12 teams would rather wait for a slim chance to sign a 35 year old who scores half as many goals to find out about his franchise’s stability than sign Semin.

Why do you suppose that is?  And why do you think Kenny has not boarded the Semin train?  Answer, there is a damn good reason Semin is considered a regrettable last resort, at best.

Truly this is remarkable.  In these market conditions, where he is head and shoulders the biggest offensive threat in Free Agency, for him not to have received a suitable offer in 3 weeks means he is packing a heaping pile of warm excrement that nobody wants.

Posted by RWBill from cruising Brush Street with creepy Rob Lowe. on 07/23/12 at 04:39 AM ET

HockeytownOverhaul's avatar

Posted by
              RWBill

from hiding indoors from Virginia heat. on
              07/23/12 at 02:39 AM ET

I’ve heard it’s because he’s looking to bank like the other FA’s before this new CBA and needs a longer term to do that.  No teams want to give him more than 2 years at most and his camp are asking for probably 4-6 years if not more.

Posted by HockeytownOverhaul on 07/23/12 at 06:00 AM ET

Lucce's avatar

I like Doan, he is a great kind of player, he would probably fit perfectly. But he will never join us. Maybe Semin will.

Posted by Lucce from Kingdom of Zweden on 07/23/12 at 06:02 AM ET

George Malik's avatar

Remember that with Semin, teams aren’t just dealing with the unrealistic salary demands of a player laden with red flags (even according to the Russian press) regarding his commitment and desire: they’re also dealing with the incredibly unrealistic salary and term demands of his nut-job agent, Mark Gandler.

Gandler’s such a loon that he gives credence to the parody Semin “rider” that was circulated last week, and Alexei Yashin’s former agent is notoriously difficult to deal with.

Crafting a deal with Semin alone would be hard enough. Working with his agent makes it July 23rd and continued unemployment for a one-time 40-goal scorer.

Posted by George Malik from South Lyon, MI on 07/23/12 at 06:30 AM ET

All this hype just to resign in Phoenix. Doan is just taking a tour.. Nothing more

Posted by That guy on 07/23/12 at 08:36 AM ET

PenguinJuice's avatar

@cementslinger I also drive there from the Saginaw area… how about a carpool.
My biggest issue with Michigan is all the Red Wing fans..

Posted by PenguinJuice on 07/23/12 at 08:58 AM ET

Vladimir16's avatar

Posted by That guy on 07/23/12 at 06:36 AM ET

This ^^^^^

Posted by Vladimir16 from Grand River Valley on 07/23/12 at 12:37 PM ET

calquake's avatar

@cementslinger I also drive there from the Saginaw area… how about a carpool.
My biggest issue with Michigan is all the Red Wing fans..

Posted by PenguinJuice on 07/23/12 at 06:58 AM ET

After a comment like that I’m sure cementslinger is eager to share a ride with the likes of you. rolleyes

Posted by calquake on 07/23/12 at 02:12 PM ET

cementslinger's avatar

Posted by PenguinJuice on 07/23/12 at 06:58 AM ET

Unfortunately my bosses don’t allow riders. So much so, they even took out my passenger seat.  No joke.  Besides, you wouldn’t want to be reminded of just how awesome my beloved Redwings are for 10 hours a day, would you?  Oh, I am also a Lions fan.

Posted by cementslinger from Midland MI on 07/23/12 at 03:25 PM ET