The Malik Report

Khan: Valtteri Filppula’s ankle sprained; Samuelsson’s a mess

The Red Wings lost Valtteri Filppula's services after he was slew-footed by Andrew Shaw (though Kerry Fraser doesn't think so) during last night's Game 7 loss to Chicago, and while Filppula's future with the organization is likely down to a couple of weeks, MLive's Ansar Khan provides an injury update regarding Filppula's status:

If the Wings want to keep him, a high ankle sprain won't dissuade them from signing him, and if they want to flip his rights at the draft (sign-and-trade-wise or in a straight-up trade), he'll still have value, but suffering a high ankle sprain in June will cut into his off-season training regimen.

Update:

Update #2: Khan asked Holland about the state of contract negotiations with Filppula...

Filppula might have played his final game as a Red Wing. He can become an unrestricted free agent on July 5 and there has been no recent contact talks between his agent and Holland.

“I made Fil and offer in August and September, we had some back and forth,'' Holland said. “I'm sure we'll have some conversation.''

And OY VEY:

Holland said forward Mikael Samuelsson might need surgery for an issue with his pectoral muscle that plagued him late in the season and in the playoffs.

Samuelsson missed the final 13 games of the regular season with the injury, which he sustained in a 7-1 loss to the Blackhawks on March 31. Samuelsson re-injured it in Game 7 against Anaheim in the first round and didn't play in the Chicago series.

Combined with other injuries (pulled groin, broken finger), Samuelsson appeared in only four regular season games and five playoff games.

Filed in: | The Malik Report | Permalink

Comments

MOWingsfan19's avatar

Unproductive damaged goods, anyone?

Posted by MOWingsfan19 from I really like our team on 05/30/13 at 03:12 PM ET

Don’t let the door aggravate your sprained ankle on the way out, Val.

Posted by Garth on 05/30/13 at 03:20 PM ET

bezukov's avatar

Bad timing for a dude looking for a new contract.

Posted by bezukov from the kids are alright. on 05/30/13 at 03:30 PM ET

I assume that chirping noise I’ve been hearing are the crickets from the league office in response to Shaw’s slew foot

Posted by Valek from Chicago on 05/30/13 at 03:33 PM ET

Crater's avatar

So we’re all on the same page, Sammy got a botched boob job, yeah?

Posted by Crater from SoCal on 05/30/13 at 03:42 PM ET

Could throw a monkey wrench into off season plans if Sammy’s hurt. Can’t buy him out then.

Posted by AZWinger on 05/30/13 at 03:47 PM ET

“I’m sure we’ll have some conversation.’‘

WHY?

Posted by Garth on 05/30/13 at 04:22 PM ET

MOWingsfan19's avatar

Posted by Garth on 05/30/13 at 04:22 PM ET

As long as it’s a goodbye conversation, I’m good with it.

Posted by MOWingsfan19 from I really like our team on 05/30/13 at 04:33 PM ET

Posted by MOWingsfan19 from I really like our team on 05/30/13 at 04:33 PM ET

Good point.

My only worry though is that Holland gets in touch with Val for a goodbye conversation and Val gives him the puppy-dog eyes and ends up with an 8-year contract.

Posted by Garth on 05/30/13 at 04:37 PM ET

MsRedWingFan's avatar

I say goodbye to both of them ... & best of luck.  Flip has talent but doesn’t utilize it and Sammy I was sorry to see resigned by the Wings.

Posted by MsRedWingFan from West Michigan hometown of Abdelkader on 05/30/13 at 04:37 PM ET

CaptainDennisPolonich's avatar

So we’re all on the same page, Sammy got a botched boob job, yeah?
Posted by Crater from SoCal on 05/30/13 at 03:42 PM ET

1-800-CALL SAM

Posted by CaptainDennisPolonich from The Land of Fake Boobs and Real Nuts on 05/30/13 at 04:42 PM ET

“I’m sure we’ll have some conversation.’‘

Fil’s agent - we want $5M per for 5 years.
KH - we’ll give you $3.5M per for 2 years.

<click>

Posted by AZWinger on 05/30/13 at 04:47 PM ET

Chris in Hockey Hell's avatar

his off-season training regimen

Um….but he already has “gain blue line, turn, stop” down cold.

Posted by Chris in Hockey Hell from Ann Arbor, MI but LIVING in Columbia, TN on 05/30/13 at 05:08 PM ET

OlderThanChelios's avatar

his off-season training regimen

Um….but he already has “gain blue line, turn, stop” down cold.

Posted by Chris in Hockey Hell from Ann Arbor

Nailed it.

Posted by OlderThanChelios from Grand Rapids, MI on 05/30/13 at 06:21 PM ET

Fil’s agent - we want $5M per for 5 years.
KH - we’ll give you $3.5M per for 2 years.

I would prefer the following:

Fil’s agent:  all right, time to give Kenny a call…
[dials]
Automated voice: The number you have dialed is not in service.

Posted by Garth on 05/30/13 at 07:51 PM ET