The Malik Report

Khan Tweets from an informal Red Wings practice: Patrick Eaves still not doing great

Not super news from MLive's Ansar Khan, who spoke to the Red Wings' players after they skated in Troy today:

Also:

Henrik Zetterberg is part of the NHLPA's CBA negotiating team, so he won't even think about playing anywhere but Detroit until December--as he's already told Expressen...

Whenever training campf inally happens, that's when the Wings will talk about who succeeds Lidstrom.

Filed in: | The Malik Report | Permalink

Comments

Keyser S.'s avatar

Sounds like eaves won’t play this season. That leaves 1 less decision at forward.

I still think dats should be captain. But with the swedish majority, I can see z being a good captain.

Feel better george, beer and chicken wings help me when I’m sick. I have no doubt they would easily cure a sinus infection within 9 days.

Posted by Keyser S. on 09/04/12 at 11:47 AM ET

MsRedWinger's avatar

Was hoping to see Eaves back, so I’m sorry to hear he still has headaches.  Better to take his time and heal well.  But guess it doesn’t matter anyway if…

”...lockout is inevitable.”

I so expect the lockout.  Still sucks.

cool mad

Posted by MsRedWinger from Flori-duh on 09/04/12 at 12:12 PM ET

Vladimir16's avatar

Sad news about Eaves. Anyone who has an incredibly embarrassing moment like he did when he deked himself out in a shootout and was able to laugh about it is okay in my book.

Lockout: Eminent ;(

Posted by Vladimir16 from Grand River Valley on 09/04/12 at 12:29 PM ET

Eaves playing was the last hope Tootoo would get waived.

So, shit.

Hope was being held out.

Posted by HockeyinHD on 09/04/12 at 12:31 PM ET

DrewBehr's avatar

HD - If the Wings had any intention of not playing/potentially waiving Tootoo, there’s no way they would’ve signed him to a 3 yr deal at $2 mil/per.

Posted by DrewBehr from The Mitten on 09/04/12 at 01:03 PM ET

Hippy Dave's avatar

@DrewBehr sounds like its time to start a $6m kickstarter project to keep his ass in the press box.

Posted by Hippy Dave from Portland by way of Detroit on 09/04/12 at 02:37 PM ET

“I suppose the Wings already pretty much knew Eaves wasn’t going to play before they made the decision to sign Tootoo in the first place, but still.”

Like I said, if the Wings pretty much figured Eaves would be out this year, and being what concussion histories tend to be, limited or unlikely to play much subsequently… well, there you go.

But also like I said, I was holding out hope nonetheless.

Posted by HockeyinHD on 09/04/12 at 04:14 PM ET

HockeytownOverhaul's avatar

The fact Devellano said they tttargeted tootoo specifically. To address the lack of grit shouldve been enough to know theyre going to play him regardless if eavess comes back or not

Posted by HockeytownOverhaul on 09/04/12 at 08:36 PM ET

I can’t imagine a scenario in which the brass said “Well, if Eaves is out then we should got after Tootoo.”

One thing had nothing to do with the other.  They’re vastly different players with vastly different roles.

Nevermind that there’s no way the Wings were going to sign someone to a 3-year deal that’s a 50% raise just to waive him in October.

Posted by Garth on 09/04/12 at 09:39 PM ET

The Hurricane's avatar

So….if, hypothetically, there is no season, do the 2013-14 UFAs/RFAs contracts get pushed back to 2014-2015, or is there likely individual language in every contract making there no set assumption?

Posted by The Hurricane on 09/04/12 at 10:43 PM ET