The Malik Report

Khan: Red Wings will place Jonathan Ericsson on LTIR to make room for Darren Helm

According to MLive's Ansar Khan, the Red Wings will finally welcome Darren Helm back to the lineup tomorrow night in Edmonton, but the team will also delay an inevitable pair of moves to make roster and salary cap space by placing Jonathan Ericsson on the long-term injured reserve list, which will mean that Ericsson can't return from his partially dislocated shoulder issue for 10 total games--which would leave him out of the lineup until the Wings' November 15th game against Washington:

Khan confirms both Helm's status and Jonas Gustavsson's status as "day to day" with a strained neck:

Holland said it appears center Darren Helm will make his season debut Saturday in Edmonton but that the team will make the final decision after the morning skate tomorrow.

Holland said they will probably transfer defenseman Jonathan Ericsson (separated shoulder) from short-term injured reserve to long-term IR to get the necessary salary-cap relief to activate Helm.

"Everything I've been told is positive (on Helm),'' Holland said. "He said he has no issues with his back or his groin.''

Update #2: The Windsor Star's Bob Duff penned a blog entry taking note of Helm's prior-to-the-road-trip comments:

Including Friday’s game at the Saddledome against the Calgary Flames, Helm will have missed 89 of Detroit’s last 91 regular-season and playoff games, through a variety of ailments, including a knee injury and a sliced arm.

Through all the hurts and setbacks, Helm has done his best not to let the ups and downs get to him.

“When I’m out of the rink, I’ve got other things that keep my mind off it,” Helm said.

Helm believes that by going on the LTIR, it took the pressure off of him to be ready and allowed him to get healthy at his own pace.

“I think I’ve done a pretty good job of not thinking about setting a time line or any kind of date,” Helm said. That helped me to just do what I need to do to get healthy.”

Filed in: | The Malik Report | Permalink

Comments

Maybe he will provide the team the boost they need to give opponents a challenge again.  Maybe he will play 2-3 minutes then retire.

Posted by neffernin on 11/01/13 at 11:29 AM ET

Primis's avatar

*sigh*  Of course Ericsson would go on LTIR.  Why not.

Holland pretty much blew it when he didn’t get Bouwmeester.  Claiming picks are precious and hanging on to them to not “mortgage your future”, while then re-signing Cleary and keeping Nyquist in GR and Tatar in the pressbox thus holding back the youth movement…

Man.  What a mess.

Bouwmeester would have been an IMMENSE help to this team this year.  Would have easily preferred him and not getting one of Weiss/Alfredssson.  I believe he has 9 assists already and is very much in the + side of +/- for STL.  I don’t know that there’s a case to be had against his play at this point.  You can make a case cap-wise and $$$-wise, and of what trade package but…. STL seems to have made out quite well.

I love Helm but I don’t see him being any real impact on the team’s performance.  Especially for a few weeks (if he *ever* gets back to the speed and pace he was, even).

Sorry, not trying to gloom-and-doom but It’s high time to realize this team is what it is, and barring a trade or two it’s not going to really change any.  Lashoff is already pressed into way more duty than he should be (credit him though that he’s doing as well as he is), there’s no way to lessen Smith’s constant mistakes, Dekeyser is still learning despite his good play, and while Kindl seems to be “quieter” I don’t know that he’s going to make any real difference.

Posted by Primis on 11/01/13 at 12:09 PM ET

Jeez, Primis. Everything out of you is overly negative lately. That comment comes after the Wings’ most puck possession-EU game of the season. Tatar isn’t in the press box anymore. Nyquist is going to come up as soon as they can ship off some of the spare parts. Relax.

Posted by CrimsonPhoenix on 11/01/13 at 12:24 PM ET

I agree with most of what Primis said. Holland has really dropped the ball the last few years and that’s why our lineup changes on a constant basis. LTIR is going to be our best asset this year, because Holland was again too loyal and brought back a veteran who is over-the-hill (ahem Cleary). Holland has lost some of his luster and that’s why we haven’t been a legit contender since our stupid 09 loss.

Posted by ZandPasha11 on 11/01/13 at 01:31 PM ET

as soon as they can ship off some of the spare parts.

a) no he’s not unless they ship 2 spare parts AND have a long-term injury on a top 3 line.
b) by spare parts, do you mean NTC Dan Cleary?

Posted by jkm2011 on 11/01/13 at 01:33 PM ET

b) by spare parts, do you mean NTC Dan Cleary?

anyone suggesting that -NTC or not- Cleary is anywhere near the trading block has no understanding of the situation.

They already had roster issues (if not cap issues) before they signed Cleary with an NTC.  He is the last person Detroit woud consider trading.  In fact, unless he retires this year I wouldn’t be at all surprised if he was re-signed, and possibly at the expense of re-signing a younger/better player or signing a free agent.

Posted by Garth on 11/01/13 at 02:20 PM ET

George Malik's avatar

This is just me guessing here, but I think that when/if everybody’s healthy, Eaves is gone, Tootoo may be next, and then the Wings may very well eat some of Samuelsson’s deal to move him/demote him/do something with him.

Also: Re: Bouwmeester: If the Wings had traded for him, they wouldn’t have Anthony Mantha, and they would’ve had some cap issues that would’ve required the team to dump not-dead weight last season. :/

Posted by George Malik from South Lyon, MI on 11/01/13 at 02:29 PM ET