The Malik Report

Khan: Red Wings place Henrik Zetterberg on LTIR to make room for Mrazek

Updated 2x: St. James and Kulfan report that Jimmy Howard needs tests on his knee: How did the Red Wings make cap room to recall Petr Mrazek because Jimmy Howard has simply received a "bump," and is probably not injured? It's not great news, per MLive's Ansar Khan:

Khan is also confirming in article form:

Detroit Red Wings goaltender Jimmy Howard suffered what the team believes is a minor injury in practice today, forcing the club to recall Petr Mrazek from the Grand Rapids Griffins and place captain Henrik Zetterberg on long-term injured reserve.

Mrazek will back-up Jonas Gustavsson in Thursday's game against the Tampa Bay Lightning at the Tampa Times Forum (7:30 p.m., Fox Sports Detroit).

Gustavsson was scheduled to start against the Lightning anyway.

The Red Wings haven't revealed Howard's injury.

Zetterberg has missed four games due to a herniated disc. Players on LTIR must sit out a minimum of 10 games and 24 days, so Zetterberg isn't eligible to return until Dec. 28 at Florida. He hasn't even started skating, however.

Update: As such, via RedWingsFeed, Tom McCollum will start for the Grand Rapids Griffins tonight against Rochester, and the Griffins report that they've recalled Jared Coreau from Toledo.

Update #2: Oh fun:

Filed in: | The Malik Report | Permalink

Comments

MoreShoot's avatar

That was highly predictable

Posted by MoreShoot on 12/11/13 at 02:49 PM ET

MOWingsfan19's avatar

Looked like he hurt his pride in the SO last night….. again.

Posted by MOWingsfan19 from I really like our team on 12/11/13 at 03:00 PM ET

WingedRider's avatar

Bruised above the shoulders???  He needs time off to get game back.  Glad the Wings are not still in the West!!!

Posted by WingedRider from Saskatoon, SK on 12/11/13 at 03:20 PM ET

I hate to say it, but I breathed a sigh of relief when I read that it was Howard who is hurt…

Posted by Garth on 12/11/13 at 03:28 PM ET

Zqto's avatar

Posted by Garth

lol

You know what, I didnt, but I’m really excited to see Mzarek play
Not sure if he will have the chance, though

Posted by Zqto on 12/11/13 at 03:34 PM ET

Shouldn’t Z to the LTIR mean we ca bring someone other than Emmerton up as well?

Posted by lancer on 12/11/13 at 03:38 PM ET

Chet's avatar

he’ll play, i suspect.

i think the monster’s headed back to earth a bit. those giant rebounds he gives up won’t stay out of our net forever.

Posted by Chet from twitter: thegansen on 12/11/13 at 03:42 PM ET

As nice as the move was,Howard was far to deep and playing pass on Panthers 2nd goal. He’s given up far too many short side and circle out goals this year.

Posted by Uncle Rico on 12/11/13 at 03:49 PM ET

Lancer, that was my first thought. Bring up someone young and hungry with some offense, if for no other reason than to show them the way it is in the big league. Nuevo for a couple games. Ferraro if it looks like he’s doing well. Anyone with some offense who has to clear waivers next year.

Posted by teldar on 12/11/13 at 04:20 PM ET

Gary A$$ SUCK !!'s avatar

he’ll play, i suspect.

Posted by Chet from twitter: thegansen on 12/11/13 at 03:42 PM ET

At least that is what you hope for?? You hate to see the Monster to succeed,,don’t you??

Posted by Gary A$$ SUCK !! from Fort Myers, Florida on 12/11/13 at 06:21 PM ET

You hate to see the Monster to succeed,,don’t you??

There seem to be a lot of people who, for some reason or another, want him to fail.

Posted by Garth on 12/11/13 at 09:21 PM ET

Which means Zata will not play in the WC.

Posted by SYF from Alana Blanchard's Bikinis and Surfboards on 12/12/13 at 01:19 AM ET

shanetx's avatar

Which means Zata will not play in the WC.

Not necessarily?  He can return two games prior.  I don’t expect we’ll see him there, though.  Futhermore, I’m not sure he should play even if he can.  Cold weather can do some nasty things to a bad back and it’s liable to be frigid.

Posted by shanetx from Floydada, Texas on 12/12/13 at 03:04 AM ET