The Malik Report

Khan, Pleiness: Red Wings’ Stephen Weiss has a sports hernia

Via RedWingsFeed, MLive's Ansar Khan reports that Red Wings forward Stephen Weiss has received a second opinion on his groin issues from Philadelphia-based groin specialist Dr. Wililam Meyers, and the news isn't good:

The Macomb Daily's Chuck Pleiness confirms...

And Khan penned a, "Where they go from here..." article:

Detroit Red Wings center Stephen Weiss has a sports hernia and the club is deciding on the next course of action, general manager Ken Holland said.

Weiss might need surgery. In any event, he won't return anytime soon and likely will be placed on long-term injured reserve.

Weiss saw a specialist in Philadelphia on Friday, after missing five games with what he thought was a groin issue. He sat out six games in November with what the club now believes is the same problem.

It has been a rough season for the 30-year-old the club signed to a five-year, $24.5 million contract on July 5. He has just two goals and two assists in 26 games.

Update:

This really is a, "We don't know how bad it is till we open him up" injury, so Weiss, the team's doctors, Dr. William Clancy and Holland will all discuss what to do next.

Filed in: | The Malik Report | Permalink

Comments

WingedRider's avatar

I hope he chooses an operation and makes sure it is fixed right. Either way won’t be playing for quite awhile, IMO

Posted by WingedRider from Saskatoon, SK on 12/21/13 at 12:11 PM ET

George Malik's avatar

He may be out for a month and he may be out for three. It depends on the extent of the injury if/when surgery takes place. The good news is that Dr. William Clancy’s worked on Osgood, Draper and many other Wings.

Posted by George Malik from South Lyon, MI on 12/21/13 at 12:39 PM ET

mrfluffy's avatar

I just hope Holland doesn’t use the last buy out on Weiss. He has the talent, but I don’t think he’s been 100% since day one on this roster. Get it fixed. Get it fixed right. Rehab yourself and work yourself back in the lineup. Weiss can still be an asset once he’s healthy.

Posted by mrfluffy from Long Beach on 12/21/13 at 12:47 PM ET

DrD's avatar

This is a transitional year anyway, just keep calling up more kids. All they do is work their butts off and give the team much needed energy and a few goals to boot. Let Weiss rest and hopefully come back 100% healthy and in good shape to earn that contract.

I like Tootoo crashing and banging out there - but Eaves can go back to GR.

Besides, sounds like Z, Helmer, Dekeyser and Nyquist should be good to go soon.

Posted by DrD on 12/21/13 at 12:49 PM ET

RorSchach's avatar

I just hope Holland doesn’t use the last buy out on Weiss.

That won’t happen. So no need to worry about it.

Weiss will be a fan favorite over the next 4 seasons once he’s healthy. There were a few games where he’s actually looked decent.

Posted by RorSchach from Datsberg on 12/21/13 at 12:50 PM ET

George Malik's avatar

The Production Line’s Michael Petrella pointed out that Weiss being signed post-3rd-lockout = no compliance buy-out option.

Weiss on the LTIR = no cap issues regarding the call-ups, which is good.

Posted by George Malik from South Lyon, MI on 12/21/13 at 12:50 PM ET

alwaysaurie's avatar

Bad news, very bad news. The fact that we no longer have any cap problems doesn’t mean this doesn’t hurt our chances.

Now the decision is whether Zetterberg must be our 2nd-line center or if Helm will be and we tap someone from the AHL to play the rest of the season with us.

I really can’t see any centers in GR who can do the job so it’ll probably be Zetterberg and Datsyuk playing separately again - which seems to hurt both of their games a little bit.

Posted by alwaysaurie on 12/21/13 at 12:54 PM ET

DrD's avatar

I’m glad in a way - it explains why he wasn’t very effective out there. At least there is a possible explanation here rather than thinking it was just a “chemistry” issue. Some players who move to new teams never play the way they did with the previous team, for whatever reason. At least with an injury, he can heal and hopefully that will fix the problem and he can start contributing.

Posted by DrD on 12/21/13 at 01:00 PM ET

George Malik's avatar

I just want Weiss to get better and to come back and play like himself instead of someone who skates like Daniel Cleary (who’s actually been very good lately). The Wings didn’t know he was injured when they signed him, nor did the Wings know he’d be doofy enough to try and “Panther” his way through the injury instead of admitting he was sore to the training staff.

Between Helm returning and Franzen playing so very well at center, the Wings should be OK to double up on Hank and Pavel if they wish to do so.

Posted by George Malik from South Lyon, MI on 12/21/13 at 01:08 PM ET

alwaysaurie's avatar

I’m not sure about Franzen… I’ve liked him playing center quite a bit myself, but I’m not the coach.

I don’t think he’ll get the call to play center for 3 months.

Posted by alwaysaurie on 12/21/13 at 01:28 PM ET

Tracy from T-Town Hockey 's avatar

I agree Mr. Fluffy and I think the Wings will give him time.  I bet this has been a lingering issue that finally got bad enough to do something about.  It would help explain the season he’s had thus far.

Posted by Tracy from T-Town Hockey on 12/21/13 at 01:36 PM ET

Sit him and get it fixed. Z, Dats, Helm, Franzen, Andy on the roster, Glendening for call-up. We’ll be OK for center.

Posted by AZWinger on 12/21/13 at 02:12 PM ET

WingedRider's avatar

who skates like Daniel Cleary (who’s actually been very good lately).

Sorry, Cleary’s tank is empty. Great player for years but has to learn when to hang them up, like last year!  Just too slow this year.

Posted by WingedRider from Saskatoon, SK on 12/21/13 at 02:21 PM ET

Franzen.

WTF does that mean, “Panther his way”?

Playing through injuries is what professional athletes do.

And why didn’t you call Zetterberg doofy for playing injured before it forced him to go on LTIR?

Posted by Garth on 12/21/13 at 02:58 PM ET

George Malik's avatar

Weiss indicated battling groin issues for over a month before he came to the Wings’ medical staff. Zetterberg pulled himself out when his back pain became more than nagging and probably avoided back surgery as a result.

Posted by George Malik from South Lyon, MI on 12/21/13 at 03:07 PM ET

George Malik's avatar

Also: Merry Merry, Garth! I feel the love! wink

Posted by George Malik from South Lyon, MI on 12/21/13 at 03:10 PM ET

We already have affection for Weiss, so I’m glad he’s gotten diagnosed properly and will hopefully be a great asset when he’s healthy. I feel kinda bad for him, with everyone dogging him for not playing brilliantly, when he must have been playing in a huge amount of pain.

Posted by griffinsfan on 12/21/13 at 08:47 PM ET

Posted by George Malik from South Lyon, MI on 12/21/13 at 02:10 PM ET

Sorry George, for some reason I feel the need to defend Weiss.  Not sure why, especially since I didn’t understand why the Wings were so fixated on chasing him…

Posted by Garth on 12/22/13 at 01:26 AM ET

George Malik's avatar

No worries. I don’t blame him—I guess that’s what doesn’t come across, the truth of the matter is that I don’t blame him for doing what he did at all.

When you don’t know what else to do other than to play through, that doesn’t make you a bad player or person for trying to continue grinding it out to the point that you miss significant time; it makes you stubborn. Weiss was doing all he could to prove the Wings right and in doing so he dug the hole deeper and deeper.

I still believe that the Wings have a very good player and that he’s going to prove them right. He’ll have the surgery he needs and he’ll come around.

Posted by George Malik from South Lyon, MI on 12/22/13 at 01:48 AM ET