The Malik Report

Kerry Fraser weighs in on Sharks’ ‘snow showers’ on Red Wings goaltender Jimmy Howard

Updated at 5:59 PM: Todd McLellan and Joe Pavelski say nothing will change: The sidebar story of note regarding the Red Wings 2-1 loss to San Jose on Sunday involved the Sharks’ continued use of “snow showers” to annoy Jimmy Howard, and TSn analyst and former referee Kerry Fraser says that at least he’d call a penalty on the Sharks (which is a no-no, as we already know) for their antics:

Grab the shovel because you are bang on relative to the ‘snow job’ that Jimmy Howard is getting. As a referee, I wanted players to STOP before running into the goalie. The method and purpose here, however, is blatantly obvious. Action must be taken by the referees. Here’s how I would have handled the situation.

The second time it happened I would have approached the San Jose bench and had a direct conversation with coach Todd McLellan. Todd is a very intelligent coach and an excellent guy to deal with. I would have said, “Todd, we have a pattern here that you and I need to address. The next Shark player that stops hard for the purpose of deliberately throwing snow in Jimmy Howard’s face will receive an unsportsmanlike minor penalty! Can I count on you to take care of this please before I have to?”

Knowing Todd as I do I believe that would be all it would take? If, however it did happen again my greatest hope is that the act would be committed by the worst offender - Joe Pavelski! One call would take the snow plow off the road until next winter and justice would be served.

Continued, and he regrettably is equally demonstrative about the fact that “incidental contact” is a non-reviewable play…

Let’s all be surprised because, via the Mercury News’s Mark Emmons, the Sharks plan on continuing to shower Howard:

McLellan had a short, unapologetic response to that before boarding the plane Monday morning.

“Then there shouldn’t be any loose pucks laying there, and we won’t go there,” he said. McLellan also added: “We’re going to the net anytime there’s a loose puck there, and we’re stopping in the blue paint. It’s as simple as that.”

Pavelski, who got into a shoving match with Howard in Game 1 after a shower that earned both of them roughing penalties, said there is no intent.

“It’s not like we’re coming from long distances when the puck’s not there,” Pavelski said. “He’s bobbling pucks and we’re going hard. If the puck’s just laying there and he’s taking awhile to cover it up, you go. You have to do it because if you swing away and the puck is just laying there for a tap-in, that would stay with you for a few weeks.”

Filed in: | The Malik Report | Permalink

Comments

PaulinMiamiBeach's avatar

Oh wow, I’m bookmarking that page.  How cool is it to get to ask Fraser questions and get real answers?!

btw, for anyone who hasn’t seen it yet…here’s a Wings goal from yesterday that wasn’t.  remember the Franzen wraparound?  he scored.

Posted by PaulinMiamiBeach on 05/02/11 at 07:41 PM ET

Who is going to define what is deliberate and what isn’t?  I guess it’s better for them to just plow into Howard than spray some snow on him.

Where do you see the puck cross the line in that video?

Posted by RoneFace on 05/02/11 at 07:57 PM ET

Rumbear's avatar

Good stuff George

Posted by Rumbear from Top O the Hasek, for the 23rd postseason.... on 05/02/11 at 07:59 PM ET

J.J. from Kansas's avatar

Where do you see the puck cross the line in that video?

Posted by RoneFace on 05/02/11 at 05:57 PM ET

When Niemi is kicking it out of his own net.

Posted by J.J. from Kansas on 05/02/11 at 07:59 PM ET

When Niemi is kicking it out of his own net.

I’ve watched it about 5 times and I still have no idea what you’re talking.

Posted by RoneFace on 05/02/11 at 08:03 PM ET

Watch the TSN angle, it never comes close to crossing the line:

Posted by RoneFace on 05/02/11 at 08:06 PM ET

PaulinMiamiBeach's avatar

RoneFace, watch from 9:35.  at 9:40 Niemi kicks the puck out of the net with his left pad.  with Franzen lying on the ice, watch just over his legs.

Posted by PaulinMiamiBeach on 05/02/11 at 08:07 PM ET

The TSN angle is much, much better and you can clearly see the puck never comes close to crossing the line.  Stop looking for conspiracies that don’t exist.

Posted by RoneFace on 05/02/11 at 08:09 PM ET

PaulinMiamiBeach's avatar

Rone, the TSN clip STOPS BEFORE THE PUCK GOES IN.

sheesh, it’s clear as day.

see that black thing in the net?  THAT’S THE PUCK.

Posted by PaulinMiamiBeach on 05/02/11 at 08:14 PM ET

see that black thing in the net?  THAT’S THE PUCK.

A. Play is dead when the referee intends to blow the whistle.
B. Franzen pushed Niemi into the net.

So again, what are you talking about?  Your team lost.  Twice. Man up and deal with it.

Posted by RoneFace on 05/02/11 at 08:17 PM ET

PaulinMiamiBeach's avatar

Franzen didn’t push him into the net.  why are you unable to objectively see what happened on that play?

Niclas Wallin shoved Franzen into Niemi.  based on the actual NHL rules as they are written, it should have been a goal.

Niemi, and the puck, are in the net before the ref even starts to move the whistle up to his mouth.

Posted by PaulinMiamiBeach on 05/02/11 at 08:20 PM ET

PaulinMiamiBeach's avatar

Your team lost.  Twice. Man up and deal with it.

I’m not not dealing with it.  but I think it’s valid to point out glaring errors that the officials make.  don’t you agree that officiating in the NHL and the way they do (and don’t) review things needs to be improved?

Posted by PaulinMiamiBeach on 05/02/11 at 08:21 PM ET

But the rule isn’t about when the ref moves the whistle, it’s when he decides he wants to blow the whistle.  Besides, if you’re going to make the case that Franzen was totally helpless I’ll make the case that all the snow being showered on Howard was totally necessary based on stopping to avoid crashing in to Howard.

Posted by RoneFace on 05/02/11 at 08:22 PM ET

PaulinMiamiBeach's avatar

that you think a valid comparison can be made between a player gliding in on his own with nobody touching him and putting snow in the goalie’s face, and a player being violently crosschecked across the crease into the goalie tells me all I need to know about why I shouldn’t bother having this conversation with you.

the puck was in the net.  you tried to say it wasn’t.  I showed it was.  now your argument is shifting.  this is classic troll behavior.  have a good evening.

Posted by PaulinMiamiBeach on 05/02/11 at 08:23 PM ET

I think supplemental discipline needs a big overhaul, but to be honest I’ve been pretty happy with the way officials have managed the games in the playoffs.  I’ve seen more OT penalties and penalties in the last 5 minutes of a game called during these playoffs than I can ever remember, and I think that’s a good thing.  And when the OT penalties have been called there’s not an immediate (and questionable) makeup call going the other way to even things up.  There are going to be a few missed calls here and there, or calls where in slo-mo maybe a penalty wasn’t warranted but that’s no different from the regular season.  The game moves fast and there’s a lot going on and things will be missed, just the nature of the beat.  In general I’d rather have the ref blow put his arm up and err on the side of caution than the other way around.

Posted by RoneFace on 05/02/11 at 08:25 PM ET

Violently cross checked across the crease?  Please.

The comparison is valid because the Sharks players have every right to go to the net in case a puck is bobbled, and they have every right to stop themselves and avoid taking a goalie interference penalty.  You’re saying Franzen has no control of his body but the Sharks should have complete control of their bodies plus the snow generated by stopping, and that’s a ridiculous double standard.

I’m not not dealing with it.

You sure about that?

Posted by RoneFace on 05/02/11 at 08:28 PM ET

Apparently I need to either pay more attention or type slower.  Meant to say that’s the nature of the BEAST and then I got caught between saying “blow the whistle” and “put his arm up.”

Posted by RoneFace on 05/02/11 at 08:30 PM ET

I’d actually add 2 other things about in-game officiating:

1. I want to see more dives called.
2. Get rid of the offsetting minors when a dive IS called.  It’s either a dive or a trip, it’s not both.

Posted by RoneFace on 05/02/11 at 08:44 PM ET

J.J. from Kansas's avatar

I’d actually add 2 other things about in-game officiating:

1. I want to see more dives called.

Posted by RoneFace on 05/02/11 at 06:44 PM ET

I’d still give the guy a penalty 90% of the time, I’d just give the diver an extra two minutes.  Most of the dives I see are embellishments of an actual infraction.  We still want people to stop tripping, slashing, and high-sticking one another.

But, if #2 were a requisite for #1 happening, I’d welcome that change aggressively.

Posted by J.J. from Kansas on 05/02/11 at 08:52 PM ET

I’d agree with that, but I think if it’s not something that warranted a whistle by itself you shouldn’t reward a guy for diving by evening it up.  I promise that if a diving call led to a goal and a loss in a playoff game (looking at you Alex Burrows) that crap would stop real quick.

Posted by RoneFace on 05/02/11 at 08:55 PM ET

PaulinMiamiBeach's avatar

are you really so blind that you can’t see that they could have stopped or gone around him without spraying snow in his face?  have you ever ice skated?  you have a lot of control over how much snow you spray and where it goes.

You’re saying Franzen has no control of his body

when being violently crosschecked from behind and flying through the air in the crease?  no, he doesn’t.

your statements are patently absurd.

but the Sharks should have complete control of their bodies

when skating on their own with no other player touching them, yes I would say that is pretty much the definition of “complete control of their bodies.”

plus the snow generated by stopping

yes when ice skating and stopping you have a lot of control over the snow effect.

and that’s a ridiculous double standard.

what’s ridiculous is comparing a crosscheck in the back to a player skating under his own power who decides when and how to stop.

Posted by PaulinMiamiBeach on 05/02/11 at 09:50 PM ET

Crater's avatar

If you are a US Citizen, please never serve on a jury. Innocent till proven guilty.

Posted by Crater from SoCal on 05/02/11 at 09:51 PM ET

So one player side is supposed to maintain complete body control at all times and avoid all attempts to score a gaol, while the other side is totally helpless and free to crash the net.  Can’t argue with that logic.

I guess it’s a good thing that professional ice hockey isn’t a court of law then.  If you want to clean up the game then you have to call penalties and put teams at a disadvantage.  It’s not enough to politely ask players to be more careful.  Players will be a lot more careful when the alternative puts their team down a man.

Posted by RoneFace on 05/02/11 at 10:22 PM ET

PaulinMiamiBeach's avatar

your brain is broken

Posted by PaulinMiamiBeach on 05/02/11 at 10:48 PM ET

calquake's avatar

Paul, don’t waste your time arguing with this richard.  He will change his point just to argue some more.  While he isn’t a typical troll, he is a troll nonetheless.  Just ignore Mr. Wad.

Posted by calquake on 05/02/11 at 11:22 PM ET

Thank god for the intrepid Red Wings fans, because the Red Wings players, the Red Wings coaches, the Sharks players, the linesemen, and both referees clearly missed a goal.  What would the world do without such righteous truth seekers?

Just heard a great quote that I think is very appropriate:

great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people

Make of that what you will.

Posted by RoneFace on 05/02/11 at 11:33 PM ET

J.J. from Kansas's avatar

Make of that what you will.

Posted by RoneFace on 05/02/11 at 09:33 PM ET

Eleanor Roosevelt.

I think Truman added to the second part “I could make a hat, or a brooch…. or a pterodactyl!”

Posted by J.J. from Kansas on 05/02/11 at 11:38 PM ET

Well played sir.  You’re making me wish I had rephrased to say “what can you make of this?”

Posted by RoneFace on 05/02/11 at 11:40 PM ET

PaulinMiamiBeach's avatar

hockey games are a series of events.  what else is there to discuss?

Posted by PaulinMiamiBeach on 05/03/11 at 12:31 AM ET

If you notice, Abdelkader is the one who cross-checks Wallin, who subsequently falls on Franzen who causes Niemi to go into the net along with the puck (which by the way, he successfully blocked before the dog pile on top of him)

Posted by Kay on 05/03/11 at 12:50 AM ET

Wings_Fan_In_KC's avatar

McClellan’s a punk bitch and so is Pavelski.  Bush league bullscrap that doesn’t belong in the NHL.  Once is fine….4, 5, 6 times?  C’mon you f*cks.

Posted by Wings_Fan_In_KC from ...somewhere southwest of The Motor City... on 05/03/11 at 02:17 AM ET

Behind_Enemy_Lines's avatar

Posted by Kay on 05/02/11 at 10:50 PM ET

You can spot THAT and not the GOAL as a result? How lame. Just like their team/coach, they refuse to see when acting like a bitch is not cool.

Posted by Behind_Enemy_Lines from the Big House,January1,2013. on 05/03/11 at 02:09 PM ET