The Malik Report

Ken Holland Expects A Slow Summer

from Ansar Khan of Mlive,

The Detroit Red Wings no longer are exploring the free-agent market for bargains, and trade talks have slowed down.

General manager Ken Holland anticipates a quiet summer.

The Red Wings are still hoping to acquire a top-four right-handed shooting defenseman through a trade. And they might sign right wing Daniel Alfredsson next month....

Holland said he'll continue working the phones trying to swing a deal for a defenseman.

"Had the odd call, but for the most part it's slowed down," Holland said. "It goes slow now for July and August. In past years once (top) free agents are off the market and money is spent things get slow."

read on

Filed in: | The Malik Report | Permalink

Comments

SnLO's avatar

I really like our team

Posted by SnLO from the sub great-white north on 07/11/14 at 12:24 PM ET

WolfeOnIce's avatar

Lol, he snatched up Quincey and Cleary and now he’s ready to close up shop. What a joke.

Posted by WolfeOnIce on 07/11/14 at 12:24 PM ET

“I don’t know that what’s out there is any better than what we got in our system,” Holland said. “Players (free agents) would be more experienced, but are they any better than (Ryan) Sproul or (Xavier) Ouellet? We got pretty good kids.”

Then why the hell did you sign Cleary and Quincey???

“The Detroit Red Wings no longer are exploring the free-agent market for bargains” -

Yeah, why would they when they signed Cleary while they could have signed Heatley, Morrow, Ott, Vrbata and could still sign Penner.

Posted by VPalmer on 07/11/14 at 12:29 PM ET

I love how Holland says that “We got pretty good kids” when there’s no room on the blue line because we already have seven defensemen with one-way deals. I don’t understand how Sproul or Ouellet could given the current situation.

Posted by MotorCityHoff on 07/11/14 at 12:31 PM ET

Is Ken Holland a real person or a robot who is programmed to repeat the same things every summer?

Posted by George0211 on 07/11/14 at 12:35 PM ET

awould's avatar

Yes, Kenny, please take a vacation. You’ve done enough. Please leave your phone turned off until you retire.

Posted by awould on 07/11/14 at 12:54 PM ET

WingFanFormerlyInLA's avatar

Kenny, do you know why teams are asking for Nyquist, Tatar and Mantha in trades?  Because based on recent history, they think you are stupid enough to do it.  They really do think you would consider Mantha plus a second for Green.  When you allow yourself to get jail sexed in trades, it tends to make other think you are ripe for additional jail sex trades.

Posted by WingFanFormerlyInLA on 07/11/14 at 12:59 PM ET

RWBill's avatar

“Had the odd call,” Holland said.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA.  What other kind of call would Tick-Tock get now?

Heavy breathing, obscenities, offers to sell him a bridge, a prince in Nigeria needs his help to export $10,000,000.  Tick-Tock is only going to get odd calls from now on, no more gas station “Hossa wants to play in Detroit” calls.  Hard to believe, because every free agent who wants to play for a Cup contender should be falling over themselves to be on a line with Cleary.

Posted by RWBill from the open bar on The Hasek. on 07/11/14 at 01:30 PM ET

Hootinani's avatar

Maybe he really wants a chance at Connor McDavid?  Other than that, he’s become the ultimate troll.

Posted by Hootinani on 07/11/14 at 01:38 PM ET

I cant believe that he signed Quincey and Cleary once again,I honestly think it is time for Ken Holland to go.We are going to have to bite, claw and scratch our way back into the playoffs again this year ...Our Defense Sucks and they should have let Quincey go and Ericsson should never have gotten a 6 yr extension,Kindl should be gone too,and sorry but Kronwall did not play worth a shit this year mad

Posted by Winger861 on 07/11/14 at 01:50 PM ET

Figaro's avatar

Posted by Hootinani on 07/11/14 at 01:38 PM ET

He’d have Connor McDavid spend a good 4 or 5 years in Grand Rapids to get appropriately seasoned before giving him a chance on our 4th line and 2nd PK unit.

Posted by Figaro from Los Alamos, NM on 07/11/14 at 01:54 PM ET

damndog's avatar

Loyality

“[the decision to sign cleary] has more to do with last year. My program has been one of loyalty, and there’s good things and bad things that go with that. Way more good, in my opinion. I reached out to a lot of people before signing Dan, and he’s very popular in our organization and with our on-ice leaders.”

Man, I remember him kicking Maltby, Draper and Osgood out the door when ALL three wanted to keep playing. Oh wait, those Guys were brought in by Jimmy D and/or Bryan Murray. They were not his guys! Oh I get it now!

I would take Draper over Cleary to play this season if Cleary is anything like he was last year. BS loyalty excuses. Cleary is Holland’s guy, his pet project that turned out well. Hey Kenny, you can’t milk a dry cow!

I like Cleary. He is great getting the puck up the boards and out of the corners. Skating is what killed him last season. If he is healthy, he should be okay. I hate the signing, but I am trying to be more polyanna about it then defeatist. It is, what it is.

Posted by damndog on 07/11/14 at 01:58 PM ET

I wish the summer was even slower.  Zero UFA signings would be better than the two we’ve witnessed.

That implies that they ever were, which is ridiculous when you consider that they’re spending nearly $7M on Quincey and Cleary, who both inexplicably got raises over last year’s salaries.

Posted by Garth on 07/11/14 at 02:13 PM ET

Vladimir16's avatar

General manager Ken Holland anticipates a quiet summer.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!

Posted by Vladimir16 from Grand River Valley on 07/11/14 at 02:31 PM ET

I was going to point out that Ken Holland is one brilliant s.o.b. But that was way back on July 2nd.

Thinking the GM’s from Washington, Colorado, and Buffalo woke up on July 2nd like a drunk waking up and seeing the tart they dragged home the night before. There will be a lot of teams looking to dump salary as we move along. There will be good deals to be had. Thinking Holland won’t be in on it though, He must know by now he can’t make a deal worth sheet.

As for the free agents that took less money so they wouldn’t have to play for uncle Mike? Well, then we don’t want them anyway. Babcock is a real wimp compared to Scotty. I don’t recall Yzerman or Lidstrom wanting out because he was a hard ass. Even Federov cried his way through a couple of cups before he could get out. Franzen would have been perfect in Holmstrom’s role. Oh the good ‘ol days when you’d rather take a puck in the face, or a stick in the groin than to hear it from the coach.

I’m not too fond of the Quincy signing. Had him gone to Colorado before they ran out of money. I don’t trust anyone who has a good 2nd half of a season in his contract year. Thinking he could end up in the press box before the year is over.

We don’t need Mike Green. Even if he was on the waiver wire. That was supposed to be Kindl’s role (What a dissapointment he was). If he got the PP time Green has, would he have the same stats? Thinking what Holland would give up for him is enough to put any fan in the fetal position.

There’s 4.. FOUR very good D men in Grand Rapids. Why not rotate them in and out of the second pairing (not the third) and see what they can do? One of them will stick.

Don’t trade the kids. Play ‘em. What a ride it was last year. I want more!

And if I haven’t ticked you all off by now….

The Cleary signing is brilliant!

I was livid until I read there’s no cap hit when Cleary plays in Grand Rapids. Guess that’s why it’s a one way deal. No cap hit when he’s sitting next to Frk in the locker room in Grand Rapids? No cap hit when he’s on Mantha’s ass for coasting out a 3 minute shift? Ride the bus, show them your ring and tell them what you went through to earn it. Just don’t have him in that role in Detroit. That’s what scares me.

I think Cleary took Nyquist’s spot because they would have had to expose him to waivers if he played a certain number of games.

No way Zetterburg will play for a loser. If it was as bad as we would have it, he would have wanted out by now.

Posted by leftwing on 07/11/14 at 02:32 PM ET

Hank Scorpio's avatar

I’m trying to figure out if Holland is deliberately trolling us, or if it’s just Paul trolling us by posting what Holland is doing.  wink

Posted by Hank Scorpio on 07/11/14 at 02:33 PM ET

RWBill's avatar

I’m trying to take the same positive approach when I heard the Tootoo signing, went Bullistic the first day, by the second day I vowed to support Tootoo to the max and became a supporter of the energy he would bring.

I’m jumping on the Cleary wagon, it will be great.

Posted by RWBill from the open bar on The Hasek. on 07/11/14 at 02:35 PM ET

RWBill's avatar

I’m jumping on the Cleary wagon, it will be great.

Posted by RWBill from the open bar on The Hasek. on 07/11/14 at 02:35 PM ET

Nope, it’s not working.

Posted by RWBill from the open bar on The Hasek. on 07/11/14 at 02:36 PM ET

DrewBehr's avatar

We’re possibly shelling out close to $7 mil in 1 seaon for Dan Cleary and Kyle Quincey. I can’t believe I’m saying that in 2014.

Why the f*ck wouldn’t we just promote a GR defenseman and put that $7 mil towards someone who is actually worth the money?

Posted by DrewBehr from The Mitten on 07/11/14 at 02:44 PM ET

Mistercristo's avatar

“Ken Holland Expects A Slow Summer”

That’s really inappropriate.  These days we use “mentally challenged”, or “developmentally disabled” instead of “slow”.  Shame on you.

Posted by Mistercristo from Cameron Frye's garage, circa 1987 on 07/11/14 at 03:26 PM ET

Mistercristo's avatar

“The Ballad Of Ken Holland”

Well everytime that I come home nobody wants to let me be
It seems that all the friends I got just got to come interrogate me
Well, I appreciate your feelings and I don’t want to pass you by
But I don’t ask you about your business, don’t ask me about mine

Well its true I love the money and I love my brand new car
I like drinkin’ the best of whiskey and playing [golf near and far]
But when I come off the road, well I just got to have my time
‘Cause I got to find a break in this action, else I’m gonna lose my mind

So, don’t ask me no questions
And I won’t tell you no lies
So, don’t ask me about my business
And I won’t tell you goodbye

Well, “what’s your favorite color and do you dig the [rookies],” is drivin’ me up a wall
And everytime I think I can sleep, some fool has got to call
Well don’t you think that when I come home, I just want a little peace of mind
If you want to talk about the business buddy, you’re just wastin’ time

I said don’t ask no stupid questions and I won’t send you away
If you want to talk fishin, well I guess that’ll be OK [only if you’re Pavel]

Apologies to Lynyrd Skynyrd

Posted by Mistercristo from Cameron Frye's garage, circa 1987 on 07/11/14 at 03:39 PM ET

“The Ballad Of Ken Holland”

Posted by Mistercristo from Cameron Frye’s garage, circa 1987 on 07/11/14 at 03:39 PM ET

BRAVO!

Posted by George0211 on 07/11/14 at 03:41 PM ET

bezukov's avatar

“The first time as tragedy, the second time as farce.”

Posted by bezukov from the kids are alright. on 07/11/14 at 03:57 PM ET

Kate from Pa.-made in Detroit's avatar

Exactly. I guess KH understands a different definition of the word(Loyalty). I was livid when he made the decision to cut them loose.

Loyalty is quietly taking a back seat while earning $800,000.00 a season. Then, winning a Cup, while replacing(backing-up) the guy that took your place. All without any animosity or fanfare.
Team players. All three of them.(I have a special place in my hockey heart for Ozzie, always will)

Lets Go Red Wings!!!!!

Posted by Kate from Pa.-made in Detroit on 07/11/14 at 04:27 PM ET

Ass Moses's avatar

Wow! Lots of whining and not many real world solutions being presented here.

Dan Cleary get paid $1.5M in the NHL or AHL. That is until the playoffs when he is NHL depth. It only costs $$ for the Wings . If he is on the NHL roster during the season it pro-rates for how long he is up.

You say don’t trade the kids, which Kenny hasn’t.

You say don’t blow the wad on over-priced free agents, which Kenny hasn’t.

Do you really want Orpik, Niskanen, Fayne or Stralman? If you said yes, do you really want them at those contracts?

So you say you wanted Suter. Guess what? He choose someone else over you. Deal with it.

Mantha for one year of Mike Green? (even if he signs for 5 years he is still only healthy for 1 year)

Nyqvist for a good but not great RH Dman? Is this really a good idea.

Nyqvist, Mantha, Tatar and two 1sts for Webber? Is this really a good idea.

Offer sheet Subban for $12 and what, win? Four 1sts and have to pay $12M. Is this really a good idea.

Common then…. give us an idea of what you would do rather than bitch about what Kenny has not done.

Posted by Ass Moses on 07/11/14 at 05:21 PM ET

w2j2's avatar

The way trades have been going, they are just way too expensive.
The Wings are better off to develop their own talent in their system than to overspend on guys like Legwand or Weiss.  If I were Holland, I would focus on drafting and building within my system, with the occasional free agent or trade if it is a reasonable price.  And if the fans posting on blogs don’t like it, and do not have the patience for it,  they can root for the Leafs or Blackhawks or Blue Jackets.
LOL

Posted by w2j2 on 07/11/14 at 06:03 PM ET

The free agents they targeted took less to play elsewhere.

Posted by SYF from the team that re-signed KFQ and DFC by KFH on 07/11/14 at 06:27 PM ET

From Khan(!)‘s article:

Weiss, 31, had surgery on Dec. 23 to repair a sports hernia. He was due back by the end of February but experienced multiple setbacks and didn’t return.

Come on, I wasn’t the only one who immediately thought of Brent Gilchrist and legendary sessions with hernia shots.

Posted by SYF from the team that re-signed KFQ and DFC by KFH on 07/11/14 at 06:30 PM ET

Another from Khan(!)‘s article:

“The biggest thing is health,” Holland said. “If we can get to training camp (Sept. 19) and get Pav, Z, (Darren) Helm, Weiss on the ice we’re optimistic we got the potential to be a decent hockey club.”

Decent hockey club, Kenny???

Posted by SYF from the team that re-signed KFQ and DFC by KFH on 07/11/14 at 06:32 PM ET

How does the famous old quote go? “History repeats itself, first as tragedy, second as farce”

Honestly, the idea of Holland congratulating himself on another Summer of good work and then closing up shop really is pretty much comic relief.

Posted by Lefty30 on 07/11/14 at 07:58 PM ET

Apologies, Bezukov, you beat me to it.

Posted by Lefty30 on 07/11/14 at 08:09 PM ET