The Malik Report

Kari Lehtonen Stars In Dallas Win Over Detroit

Paul here for George who hopes to return by Thursay...

Lehtonen was brilliant tonight (40 saves), only giving up 1 goal to Damien Brunner with 4 seconds left in the game.

Jimmy Howard was very good, but the Stars made the most of their opportunities to defeat Detroit 2-1.

One stat stands-out to me, the Wings are 0-15 on the pp over their first three games (0-4 tonight).

They are getting chances but either  misfiring or being stoned like the were Lehtonen.

No need to panic yet, but if the Wings don't start putting the puck in the net on the power play, it could be a long short season.

Watch below the best save Jimmy Howard made all night, robbing Reilly Smith with the glove hand.

Filed in: | The Malik Report | Permalink

Comments

Riviera's avatar

Well, at least nobody got hurt. That I know of I mean.

Posted by Riviera from Phoenix on 01/22/13 at 11:37 PM ET

Rondo's avatar

Well, at least nobody got hurt. That I know of I mean.

Posted by Riviera on 01/22/13 at 11:37 PM ET

Ian White has some bad news for you

Posted by Rondo on 01/23/13 at 12:04 AM ET

Riviera's avatar

Well shit. At least it’s minor as he’s listed as day to day.

Posted by Riviera from Phoenix on 01/23/13 at 12:54 AM ET

Hank1974's avatar

Considering that this new and ‘improved’ NHL is nothing but a power-play league, if you’re PP isn’t going, then you’re not going anywhere.

If the Wings are going to be bad, I hope they’re really bad so we can get a top draft pick.
We’ll know how this team looks at the 12-game mark. If it’s not looking good, then start jettisoning guys like Cleary, Bertuzzi, Miller and Eaves and bring in the kids from G.R.
If you’re going to lose, you might as well do it with young kids so they can gain some experience.

Posted by Hank1974 on 01/23/13 at 08:29 AM ET

SolidTG7's avatar

Could be worse, they could be winless like the Rangers.

Posted by SolidTG7 on 01/23/13 at 08:33 AM ET

HockeytownOverhaul's avatar

Posted by Riviera on 01/23/13 at 12:54 AM ET

2-3 weeks after surgery this morning.

What I really really loved about this game was even when it was evident they were going to lose they still kept the foot on the gas and at least ruined the bid and Brunner is building on his confidence, looks better and better every game, transition is going smoothly.  Doesn’t shy away either, he’s tenacious if a bit cleary-ish in how much he falls down during contact.  Great instincts, love watching this guy.  Good character showing.

Need to quit getting cute on the PP.  If you can’t enter the zone with speed dump with two to retrieve, get a shot on net and everyone else should be driving the net, clean up garbage.  Not 13 passes to get into the zone, lose it after 1 pass, rinse and repeat.

Posted by HockeytownOverhaul on 01/23/13 at 11:31 AM ET

calquake's avatar

It appears that this pretend season’s version of the Red Wings is going to have to scrape and claw to get points and wins.  And that’s not necessarily a bad thing.  The days of making the playoffs by late Feb. - early March are probably gone.  I’ve always felt the Wings were a better team when they faced “some” adversity.  The 2008 Cup was a team that out-hustled, out-worked and out-played their opponents.  Let’s hope this team finds their identity and works their a$$es off while righting the ship.

Posted by calquake on 01/23/13 at 11:40 AM ET

mrfluffy's avatar

I still say the 2008 team was still pissed off at the outcome of the 2007 playoffs and played like it the entire year.

The 2009 team just could drop 5 goals a game and get away with not playing defense.

Posted by mrfluffy from A wide spot on I-90 in Montana on 01/23/13 at 11:44 AM ET