The Malik Report

Justin Abdelkader ejected for hit on Toni Lydman

Red Wings forward Justin Abdelkader was given a 5-minute major and ejected for this hit on Anaheim Ducks defenseman Toni Lydman, who left the game and will not return:

You will see what you will see, and the video will support your opinion. We are all subjective here, and in my opinion, it was a clean hit in intent that ended up very ugly--and was penalized properly.

Update: This is the only part of the exchange I don't like:

Update #2:

Filed in: | The Malik Report | Permalink

Comments

AxeMaster9's avatar

Hey George, hope you’re feeling better.  I disagree with your assessment but agreed that we are all subjective.  My question, do you think Abby gets more?  The live blog is getting ugly tonight, we need you back!

Posted by AxeMaster9 on 05/04/13 at 08:52 PM ET

Well, jeez. I’d hope every hit is “cean in intent”.

But I’ll never understand why NHL players feel the need to straighten up and even lift one skate (or sometimes two) to hit a guy. Stay low and pay attention to where you are aiming your shoulder or forearm.

Posted by CrimsonPhoenix on 05/04/13 at 08:56 PM ET

shanetx's avatar

I’d say two games but they tend to consider the remainder of the game missed (if ejected) as a factor so maybe just one.  I don’t think it was intentional but it’s still a bad hit.  I don’t really have a lot of issue with the call, just how it was made (Ref 10’ away called nothing, they went to commercial because Lydman was struggling, came back and the guy 175’ away had called the penalty.  That’s just odd.).

Posted by shanetx from Floydada, Texas on 05/04/13 at 09:02 PM ET

George, I am not even going to agree to disagree. You are just plain wrong. Coasted in, feet in contact with ice at initial contact, and shoulder hits the shoulder first. Not charging, not a hit to the head, not a penalty, not a game misconduct, and certainly not a suspension. Terrible call that completely changed the game. Ref 5 feet from it doesn’t call it? That was called from Ottawa.

Posted by tigerjeb on 05/04/13 at 09:04 PM ET

NBCSN had the best angle, which was across the back of the net.  Could clearly see Abdelkader go shoulder to shoulder with initial contact and have is skates still on the ice.  Giving the Ducks a 5 minute power play and taking Abdelkader out of half the game was more than enough punishment for the hit.  Wouldn’t surprise me if Abdelkader gets suspended just because it’s the NHL and they make more ridiculous decisions than they do reasonable ones, but we’ll see.

Posted by Valek from Chicago on 05/04/13 at 09:09 PM ET

Thank You Valek.
Left foot was in contact with ice until into the hit and initial contact was shoulder to shoulder, Abdelkader’s shoulder slid across lydman’s chest after contact and did definitely hit his head. But I do believe initial contact wad shoulder to shoulder.
No penalty should have been called, let alone major and game.

Posted by teldar on 05/04/13 at 09:24 PM ET

gowings's avatar

I watched the MTL game last night….hit on Eller got suspended and it shouldn’t have…thus, by that logic…Abdelkader will get it also….this sucks

Posted by gowings from MTL on 05/04/13 at 09:34 PM ET

PaulinMiamiBeach's avatar

here is the moment of contact.  shoulder to shoulder, both skates on the ice.

there shouldn’t have been a penalty AT ALL, let alone 5 and a game.

it was completely obvious that the refs didn’t decide to call it until they realized the Ducks player was hurt.  despicable officiating.

Posted by PaulinMiamiBeach on 05/04/13 at 09:34 PM ET

Crow's avatar

Shoulder to shoulder was the initial primary contact.  She shouldn’t be suspended, but if Lydman misses games due to injury, then NHL will suspend Abby.

Posted by Crow on 05/04/13 at 09:36 PM ET

gowings's avatar

Posted by PaulinMiamiBeach on 05/04/13 at 10:34 PM ET

Trust me….the dept of safety….has a different pair of glasses on….he will see it a way we don’t

Posted by gowings from MTL on 05/04/13 at 09:37 PM ET

PaulinMiamiBeach's avatar

did any of you watch the official explanation for the Gryba hit?

Gryba’s route is not correct.  we do not feel that he makes enough of a full body check for this hit not to qualify as an illegal check to the head.  in our view, in attempting this difficult check, Gryba does not hit squarely enough through the body.

have you ever heard such a load of doublespeak horseshit? apparently now it’s a penalty for mostly MISSING a check?!

Posted by PaulinMiamiBeach on 05/04/13 at 09:41 PM ET

Bugsy's avatar

So, let me see if I get this straight. As long as he doesn’t leave his feet before or at the start of contact, it’s legal to leave his feet as he drives through the player? Also, head contact that is not part of the initial hit is acceptable? Even with all this, I don’t like this precedent of calling a major penalty well after the play is over. If they couldn’t pick it up the first time, and I’m saying that even if it was a Wing who was hit in the same way, don’t call a major. They call enough questionable penalties, I understand that, but at least they’re minor penalties.

Posted by Bugsy on 05/04/13 at 09:48 PM ET

This is the only part of the Abdelkader hit that the dept of safety will concern themselves with.  They suspended Gryba when they shouldn’t and I fully expect the same for Abdelkader partly because if he gets nothing there will be a ridiculous call of homerism at Shanahan for not suspending a player from his former team.  Mainly though, I expect Abdelkader to be supsended because the NHL can’t ever just fuch things up once.  They have to continue to make the same wrong decision several times in order to make it appear correct through repetition.

Posted by Valek from Chicago on 05/04/13 at 09:52 PM ET

PaulinMiamiBeach's avatar

yes.  in fact, NHL rules do not include ANY verbiage related to feet leaving the ice.  not a single mention.

Posted by PaulinMiamiBeach on 05/04/13 at 09:52 PM ET

PaulinMiamiBeach's avatar

this.

Posted by PaulinMiamiBeach on 05/04/13 at 09:52 PM ET

Hockeytown Wax's avatar

Dear Gary Bettman,

As a dissatisfied customer of your product, I felt compelled to write this letter.

The penalties called, the suspensions & fines handed out for LEGAL contact hits has become frustrating.

If players can’t have any physical contact anymore ... leading to what has become contests filled with just skating passing & shooting ... why not do what you really want to do .... skip the whole game and just go directly to a shootout.

I know you are a lawyer and I know you want to protect the league and the people that pay you your ridiculously high salary (the owners) from any future law suits but lets get real here.  Hockey without hitting is like a PB & J sandwich without the jelly ... somethings missing.

Please go back to the old rules so whats being broadcast on TV is actually hockey.

Thanks in advanced,

etc. etc. etc.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Abbys hit was clean ... penalty was decided upon after the 4 officials got together and decided it was actually a good hit but they had to cover their asses for stopping the play so they decided to call it charging.

Yet another game outcome influenced by the officiating.

This is getting disgusting

Posted by Hockeytown Wax from West Bloomfield, Mi. on 05/04/13 at 10:10 PM ET

Posted by PaulinMiamiBeach on 05/04/13 at 10:52 PM ET

Rule 42 - Charging
42.1 Charging - A minor or major penalty shall be imposed on a player who skates or jumps into, or charges an opponent in any manner.

Posted by Hockeytown Wax from West Bloomfield, Mi. on 05/04/13 at 11:10 PM ET

On the video above you can see @ 8seconds that the back referee has his arm up as he blows the play down.

Posted by NathanBC on 05/04/13 at 10:15 PM ET

Hockeytown Wax's avatar

yeah ... thats why no one knew what penalty was being called until after a commercial break.

Just because one ref has his hand up doesn’t mean he’s right.  They got together during the commercial break and realized the hit was clean so they made up the charging call to cover their asses.

Next year they should change it to the NFHL ... National Flag Hockey League.

Posted by Hockeytown Wax from West Bloomfield, Mi. on 05/04/13 at 10:21 PM ET

DAN M's avatar

Most people would be calling for a ducks head if the roles were reversed. Not saying everyone guys but some do and it makes it harder to judge. I think it should have been penalized but unlike George (whose word is damn near gospel to me 99% of the time) I’m not as convinced it should have been 5 mins. 2 mins shouldn’t have gotten anyone in a tizzy. Specially if we had killed the shit.

Posted by DAN M on 05/04/13 at 10:27 PM ET

gowings's avatar

Don’t read the tsn blog…..wow….seems that the vast majority are calling for 4-5 games!!! I wonder if they even watched the hit in question….I know one can call me biased….but if I am biased, then these fans are also biased by their hatred of our team….4 to 5 games? What the ****

Posted by gowings from MTL on 05/04/13 at 10:32 PM ET

DAN M's avatar

It would only be logical to say samuelsson being put in was a mistake. Now whether it benefits samuellson and he scores a hat trick monday then its all in the grand scheme of things. I asked once before if anyone knew if bertuzzi was ready to go and sat healthy for MS. That seems strange to me. I’ll bet he wasn’t ready someway somehow.

Posted by DAN M on 05/04/13 at 10:33 PM ET

HockeytownOverhaul's avatar

Good hit by Abby.  Hockey hit.  The NBC announcers were clearly just dick-holsters for the Ducks, gasping for air between commercial breaks.  The Ducks love fest was unreal and the fake outrage was fuching disgusting.  NBC’s announcers make me feel like I’m watching WWE.

Make that hit again Abs.  It’s a miracle no other Wings have been injured from all the hits in the back into the boards they’re letting go, all the hacks and whacks the Fuchs are getting away with.  But devastating hockey hits aren’t allowed anymore.  Remember Ericsson getting called for tripping on a HIP CHECK??  That’s pretty much where we’re at.

Posted by HockeytownOverhaul on 05/04/13 at 10:40 PM ET

I wonder if they even watched the hit in question

I think the problem is most people are only seeing the main video that’s out there, which is the view from behind Abdelkader.  When I watched the replay the first time that was the one I saw and it appeared to be a clear hit to the head to me.  Of course I bothered to watch multiple angles where it then became clear that was not the case.  Somehow I imagine the posters on tsn aren’t quite so dutiful in finding the truth when they can just rail on a team they hate while wielding what they believe is damning evidence.

Posted by Valek from Chicago on 05/04/13 at 10:44 PM ET

George Malik's avatar

I’m not even touching this one. I have an opinion but I don’t believe it’s relevant. I happen to think that we all see what we want to see, and that no matter how many angles of video there are of a hit afterward, our naturally human and biased perceptions reinforce themselves.

Posted by George Malik from South Lyon, MI on 05/04/13 at 10:54 PM ET

John W.'s avatar

Posted by PaulinMiamiBeach on 05/04/13 at 10:34 PM ET

You are absolutely correct.  I was at the game, soon as I saw the hit I looked at both refs, and no arm was up.  Anaheim gets the puck and starts skating up ice.  Ref near Lydman blows it dead because the guy’s hurt, and THEN the back ref. who is at this point all the way on the other end of the ice in the opposite corner puts his arm up.  He called the injury, and not the hit.  Then they huddled for a good 2 minutes, I’m guessing trying to figure out what to call it since it wasn’t to the head, wasn’t boarding, and wasn’t charging either, tho that’s what they came up with since no one knows what charging actually is.  Complete horseshit.

Posted by John W. from a bubble wrap cocoon on 05/04/13 at 11:13 PM ET

My first instinct when I watched the video from behind was that it looked like a clean hit. After looking at multiple angles and in slow-mo, still looks like a clean hit. If you want to call a penalty for charging, I can live with that, because he skated in from quite far away to hit the guy, it was lined up well enough to be assessed a charging penalty. But not a major. Certainly not an ejection. And if he’s suspended, it’ll be the biggest joke of the year, after Perry is allowed to kick Howard in the face without the league so much as looking at the play.

It kinda sickens me the way officials use the result of a play to make calls. Sucks for Lydman, hope he’s okay and recovers quickly, but that was just a clean hard hit.

Posted by Marisabel on 05/04/13 at 11:22 PM ET

statelouis26's avatar

don’t know why I even bother discussing this kinda stuff anymore.  Bettman and Shenanigans are two of the biggest dumbasses in sports.  Brendan doesn’t even know how to explain shi$t anymore b/c its bs.  The Gryba suspension made no sense.  I don’t think Brendan even knows what he is saying. Kesler made the same play along the boards the other night and didn’t even get a minor.  Apparently Abdelkader needed to palm Lydman’s head and smash it into the boards to avoid being penalized.  The Wings were playing like garbage but this change the entire momentum and tone of the game.

Posted by statelouis26 from Detroit, MI on 05/05/13 at 12:03 AM ET

calquake's avatar

What’s done is done.  Abby either a) will not be suspended which guarantees thuggery and goonery from the Ducks or b) we lose Abby one or two games and have less physicality to match Anaheim.  Either way this series goes six if we’re lucky and five if things continue the way they are.

Posted by calquake on 05/05/13 at 12:41 AM ET

MarkK's avatar

This about sums it up.

Posted by MarkK from Maryland on 05/05/13 at 07:33 AM ET

Paul's avatar

4pm ET phone hearing for Abby today.

Posted by Paul from Motown Area on 05/05/13 at 08:37 AM ET

SandysWingingit's avatar

I’d be surprised if Abby does not get some suspension, as his arms did inadvertently come up after the initial shoulder to shoulder contact. And although I think his feet left the ice from the force of the hit, it will also be considered in determining the length of his suspension.

But I did think the major and ejection called on the ice was not substantiated in the context of the hit itself. That penalty was decided only after Lydman failed to get up right away and a couple minute deliberation by the officials. Any other time, that hit would probably generate a 2 minute minor for charging at most.

Posted by SandysWingingit on 05/05/13 at 09:18 AM ET

klank's avatar

could it be teams are starting to adapt and play the victim card after hard hits?  by no means am I saying players are not hurt, but Boudreu this morning is touting the dreaded “C” word :  Boudreu talking of injury

best link I could find.. as can not get behind the paywall @ OC Register.

Posted by klank from the finest hot tub in Marin on 05/05/13 at 12:59 PM ET