The Malik Report

Just ‘protecting himself?’

Red Wings forward Justin Abdelkader received a face full of Michal Roszival's stick during the first period, but the refs deemed this to be a "play on" situation.

Filed in: | The Malik Report | Permalink

Comments

Mandingo's avatar

All in all, this is as dangerous as the Torres check.

Torres will probably get 5 games, and there wasn’t even a penalty on this play and Rosival at most will maybe, maybe get a $5k fine.

Speaks to the point I’ve been making all along: The NHL doesn’t care about hits to the head, all they care about are checks to the head, because they look more violent.

You can basically do anything you want to a guy as long as you’re standing relatively still when you do it.

Posted by Mandingo from The Garage on 05/15/13 at 09:55 PM ET

shanetx's avatar

All in all, this is as dangerous as the Torres check.

They don’t really care about hits to the head as much as they do concussion-causing incidents.  This play could easily have resulted in facial injuries, but the concussion risk was lower because the head didn’t drastically change directions.  Remember; it’s not the hit to the head, it’s the brain hitting the skull (or occasionally just becoming jostled in it’s “moorings”) that creates the concussion.

I don’t mean to disagree with you, though.  The hypocrisy toward this kind’ve thing is getting to be pretty vile.  I’m almost more annoyed at the incident that led to the second Shaw penalty, though.  I guess it’s a leftover from the Neidermayer-Pronger sammiching of Homer in 07, but I really, really hate seeing a second guy come in and hit someone defenseless.  And THEN the other dude just leaned on Kindl and held his head against the board.

Posted by shanetx from Floydada, Texas on 05/15/13 at 10:27 PM ET

calquake's avatar

This.

Posted by calquake on 05/15/13 at 11:48 PM ET

TreKronor's avatar

I think I was most upset by Olzyck’s reaction: something like, “well, if a guy is coming towards you to make a hit, they teach you in hockey school to bring up your stick. Its what you’ve got to do protect yourself.”

BS Eddie. BS. Everytime Kronwall makes a hit you lament on how high his stick is and how dirty this is to you, which isn’t even factual and Pierre even calls you out on it.

Posted by TreKronor on 05/16/13 at 08:28 AM ET

Bent's avatar

“Getting your stick up to protect yourself” and “Aggressively crosschecking a player in the head so hard his helmet comes off” are two different things.  Olczyk probably thinks so too, but his criteria for which is which depends on which team is doing it.

Posted by Bent from The U.P. on 05/16/13 at 09:21 AM ET

Play on and quit crying, Homers!  How would you react in that situation?

Posted by WingsBlow on 05/16/13 at 09:32 AM ET

YzermanZetterberg's avatar

Play on and quit crying, Homers!  How would you react in that situation?

Posted by HawksSuck on 05/16/13 at 09:32 AM ET

I would absolutely love to see what the call would be—and your reaction—if Abdelkader did the same thing to Toews or Kane.

Posted by YzermanZetterberg on 05/16/13 at 09:46 AM ET

I’m not a Hawks fan…so I would not have a reaction…unless a Hawks Blog started crying about it, then my reaction would be to tell them to quit crying and play on.  I just think you guys are whining when you should focus on winning.  The Wings aren’t the same team from a few years ago.  Come to grips with it.

Posted by WingsBlow on 05/16/13 at 09:58 AM ET

MOWingsfan19's avatar

The Wings aren’t the same team from a few years ago.  Come to grips with it.

None of us Wings fans here would have known this without your sage advice.
Being as you are rather new here, it might be better to spend a little time looking around instead of being a d*ck.

Posted by MOWingsfan19 from I really like our team on 05/16/13 at 10:21 AM ET

Posted by WingsBlow on 05/16/13 at 10:25 AM ET

This describes Wings fans best!

Posted by WingsBlow on 05/16/13 at 10:31 AM ET

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AHZCAcSh7ls if you like country
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MMO9tdrcoyQ more country
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w5srnNrICJo if you like rap

Posted by WingsBlow on 05/16/13 at 10:35 AM ET

Last one: it’s a long one, unlike your 2013 playoff run.  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E93VsGwvHZ0&NR=1&feature=fvwp

Posted by WingsBlow on 05/16/13 at 10:36 AM ET

redxblack's avatar

Oh, how cute! A baby troll. Man, I remember my first beer.

Posted by redxblack from Akron Ohio on 05/16/13 at 10:37 AM ET

PaulinMiamiBeach's avatar

the funny part is the trolls around here don’t realize how easy it is to simply block them…

Posted by PaulinMiamiBeach on 05/16/13 at 10:48 AM ET

The REALLY funny part is how easy it is to get a proxy, create a new fake email address and create a new login for this site.

Posted by WingsBlow on 05/16/13 at 11:30 AM ET

Oh, how cute! A baby troll. Man, I remember my first beer.

Okay, you win.  That one stung.  I guess I was wrong about all that crying business.

WAAA

This play could easily have resulted in facial injuries

WAAAA

I think I was most upset by Olzyck’s reaction

WA WAAAAA

WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

WAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

WA

Posted by WingsBlow on 05/16/13 at 11:39 AM ET

SuperMatt75's avatar

I have to give Ol’dick a tiny bit of credit on this, at least he said “Blackhawks are lucky there was no penalty called on this..”

Closest thing he’s come to criticizing a blackhawk in a while.

Posted by SuperMatt75 from the cool side of the pillow on 05/16/13 at 12:31 PM ET

Bent's avatar

I think it’s trying to communicate.

Posted by Bent from The U.P. on 05/16/13 at 01:23 PM ET

They were better,” Babcock said.  The coach admits it, why can’t you guys?  He didn’t sit there and cry about it.  He didn’t complain about one hit that didn’t go his way.  No, he admitted that the Wings will go down on the Hawks at the end of this series.  Whoops, the Wings will go down to the Hawks at the end of this series.  Or maybe both.  I can’t find the quote, but I’m sure he at least thought it.

Posted by WingsBlow on 05/16/13 at 01:38 PM ET