The Malik Report

Jonathan Toews wants you to know that Jonathan Toews is a great player, and Toews will be fine

The Vancouver Sun's Cam Cole took note of the attention Jonathan Toews' shenanigans receieved from the Detroit press during and after the Red Wings' 2-0 win over Chicago on Thursday, as well as the after-the-fact comments about Toews losing his temper on Friday. So Cole attended the Blackhawks' Friday practice, and after asking Brent Seabrook whether he calmed Toews down when Toews was busting nuts regarding the third penalty he took (Seabrook did), Cole cast a sympathetic ear toward Toews:

Toews, to his credit, never ducks the spotlight, even when it’s unkind. He didn’t deserve the penalty that cost the Blackhawks the decisive goal, by Jakub Kindl. He was nabbed for high sticking, but in fact all he did was lift the stick of Justin Abdelkader, who lost the handle on his own twig and had the butt end of it hit him in the face. But he wasn’t complaining about it Friday.

“I mean, I understand that what happened in the second period wasn’t a good thing,” Toews said. “I don’t attribute it to me losing my temper. Obviously, I was a little bit careless with my stick and it ended up costing me, and costing my team. But when things go well for our team, sometimes maybe I get more credit than I deserve, and I think same goes the other way. And I understand that’s part of it. Our best players need to be our best players. We need to lead, we need to grab the rope and start pulling for the rest of the guys, and it starts with myself.”

But Toews, who insisted to the Hawks' press that his team should feel confident about themselves and upbeat going into what he and his teammates inisst will be the first of three straight wins starting on Saturday night, want to set the record, uh...Straight...That he's a great player, even when he's not registering points...

“Well, one of the things that I like about my game is that if they’re not going in for me, I can do a lot of other things,” said Canada’s best player on the 2010 gold-medal winning Olympic team. "But I think in this given circumstance, (like) every guy in the locker room, if they think they’re the ones who can help us break through as a team ... I put some pressure on myself to be that guy and to score a big goal, and I don’t think there’s anything wrong with that.”

And Toews insisted that Henrik Zetterberg hasn't cracked his poise or resolve:

“I’m not as worried about him as maybe you guys think I should be,” Toews said. “He’s a good player, he’s doing a good job of playing smart defensive hockey, but you know, it doesn’t mean I’m not getting chances and not getting to the net. Those chances are coming and at some point they have to go in.”

That’s what he’s telling himself, anyway. In the meantime, the Hawks are trying to invoke the ghosts of comebacks past, notably the 2011 series against the Vancouver Canucks, when they were down 3-0 and rebounded to force Game 7 and only lost on Alex Burrows’s overtime goal.

“It just goes to show that things like that are possible, that we were very, very close to winning that series,” Toews said, “and I’m sure Detroit knows and we know that this series is a long way from being over.”

Toews' coach agreed with his captain:

"They’ve obviously got the momentum right now,” [Hawks coach Joel] Quenneville said. “The big picture looks bleak, but one game can turn everything around. And that’s what we’re looking for.”

Filed in: | The Malik Report | Permalink

Comments

MOWingsfan19's avatar

That entitled has to mentality is a slippery slope kiddo.

Posted by MOWingsfan19 from I really like our team on 05/24/13 at 05:37 PM ET

PaulinMiamiBeach's avatar

nope. Z hasn’t cracked his poise.  not one bit.

one thing I don’t think Toews understands is how much things like this can motivate the other player and other team.  they see you doing things like that and they KNOW they’re succeeding in getting to you.

Posted by PaulinMiamiBeach on 05/24/13 at 05:48 PM ET

scotts0's avatar

And Toews insisted that Henrik Zetterberg hasn’t cracked his poise or resolve:

Jonathan, how many points do you have, and how many chances have you had? That’s what I thought…Hank is doing a GREAT job of playing smart defensive hockey.

Man, this kid is great.

Posted by scotts0 from New York on 05/24/13 at 06:05 PM ET

OlderThanChelios's avatar

...like take early penalties so I can rest up for the third period and then make Zetterberg look like a fool trying to keep up with me.”

You have to admit, it really was a great plan. But Zetterberg was “good” and he just couldn’t pull it off. But, rest assured, they’re working on all kinds of great line changes and secret plans for Saturday. So, you know, they got that going for them.

...it doesn’t mean I’m not getting chances and not getting to the net. Those chances are coming and at some point they have to go in.

Actually, Jonny Boy, they really don’t have to go in. Just ask Corey Ferry. He thought the same thing and, oops, they never did go in.

Posted by OlderThanChelios from Grand Rapids, MI on 05/24/13 at 06:13 PM ET

Crater's avatar

at some point they have to go in.”

Not true at all. Not if they aren’t quality chances. If I try to donut hole a goalie over and over, one of them is not going to suddenly hit the back of the net.

Posted by Crater from SoCal on 05/24/13 at 06:16 PM ET

RhymeTimeWingsDings's avatar

Hahaha the ref in the gif has a smile on his face before the little slash, I wonder what Z was saying to Toes.  Although we all love Hank I get the feel he’s secretly an *#$%@& in the littlest ways, and like the mosquitoes that are everywhere can get under the skin without drawing blood.

Posted by RhymeTimeWingsDings on 05/24/13 at 06:49 PM ET

Primis's avatar

They don’t have to eventually go in.

That’s the difference between CHI fans and DET fans.  DET fans know this from years and years of playoff letdowns, of having superior teams that get bounced by lower seeds.  Sometimes, when you’re taking low-percentage shots and point shots, and not generating anything else… they won’t go in.

Shots are a great stat, and you want to take a lot of them… but they don’t guarantee anything, especially in the playoffs.

A lot of CHI fans don’t know this yet, and the Hawks’ Cup run a few years ago spoiled them into thinking the Cup is given, not earned with disappointment along the way.  And apparently the Hawks themselves don’t know it either.

Posted by Primis on 05/24/13 at 06:56 PM ET

The ref in that gif is Marc Joanette (#25).  Yeah, he’s been on our shitlist for a while now.

Posted by SYF from Alana Blanchard's Bikinis and Surfboards on 05/24/13 at 07:06 PM ET

SandysWingingit's avatar

Tough to score from the penalty box, Toews, lol. And for him to deny that Zetterberg is not at least partially responsible for his loss of composure is such a state of denial…which kind of goes hand in hand with the whole boasting and entitlement thing.

Stay classy, Toews!

Posted by SandysWingingit on 05/24/13 at 08:30 PM ET

MsRedWingFan's avatar

Posted by Primis on 05/24/13 at 07:56 PM ET

which kind of goes hand in hand with the whole boasting and entitlement thing.

Stay classy, Toews!

Posted by SandysWingingit on 05/24/13 at 09:30 PM ET

yupp they never had to really face any adversity for the cup that was basically handed to them by Bettman and the refs .... guess they thought it was going to happen again but I’m sure Bettman has other pets to TRY TO appease this year.  But ..... I think the Red Wings have other plans. wink

Posted by MsRedWingFan from West Michigan hometown of Abdelkader on 05/24/13 at 09:41 PM ET

shanetx's avatar

Crosby also refused to acknowledge the clearly visible effect Z was having on him in 08 and 09.  As Rhymetymewingdings said earlier, Z is a heck of an agitator.  I can’t decide if it’s just annoyance through solid defense or if he’s secretly a trash talker, or somehow dirty, and we’ve just never caught him doing it on film.

Posted by shanetx from Floydada, Texas on 05/24/13 at 10:00 PM ET

Primis's avatar

Posted by shanetx from Floydada, Texas on 05/24/13 at 11:00 PM ET

Fans of other teams swear up and down that he’s outright dirty.  I have yet to see any evidence myself, and when I ask for specific examples they mysteriously never have any.  Z “cheats” from time to time on faceoffs like just about anyone else, and that sort of thing.  But I don’t see him sucker-punching guys like *some* do.

I don’t think some people can wrap their mind around the fact that DET’s top 3 forwards are all Europeans, and none of them soft.  I think that’s part of it.  Z can’t possibly be a Euro *AND* a physical pain to play against, so he must be dirty.

I think he just is in-your-face as a checker, is hard to knock off his game by hitting, and doesn’t back down.  That alone drives guys like Toews and fanbases like the Hawks absolutely mad.

Posted by Primis on 05/24/13 at 10:35 PM ET

Joe Z.'s avatar

hank is like a shadow on his opponets, that’s the thing toes can’t get over with. a stick on the shins here and there adds to the mix. i can understand toes frustration, your team goes up ice, you make yourself avaliable and out of nowhere your stick or your body is canceled out by Z. every single shift. every single night.

Posted by Joe Z. from Austria on 05/24/13 at 10:53 PM ET