The Malik Report

Johan Franzen - The Hockey Player

from Dave Goricki of the Detroit News,

Franzen doesn’t like the “goal-scorer” tag.

"I am not a goal scorer,” he said. “I am a hockey player. I never look for goals. I look to play good and then people score or I do."

Franzen is looking forward to the new competition in the Eastern Conference.

"It will be a lot of new faces and you've got to learn how those teams play, and it's going to be different, probably take a while before you get to know everyone," said Franzen. "You have to be extremely focused and you've got to come prepared because we've played so many years (in the Western Conference) and you pretty much know every guy on those teams."

Franzen plans to make himself scarce once the HBO 24/7 cameras come out prior to the Winter Classic: "I'll try to hide somewhere. I really don't like being in front of the camera."

Filed in: | The Malik Report | Permalink

Comments

Primis's avatar

Paul, are you trying to kill Malik by posting this?  No this won’t spawn 3428940328 comments or anything…

Posted by Primis on 08/29/13 at 02:11 PM ET

bezukov's avatar

“I am not a goal scorer”

We noticed.

Posted by bezukov from the kids are alright. on 08/29/13 at 02:13 PM ET

George Malik's avatar

I rolled my eyes after reading this.

Posted by George Malik from South Lyon, MI on 08/29/13 at 02:13 PM ET

Paul's avatar

Ha Primis, George just asked me for some smelling salts.

Posted by Paul from Motown Area on 08/29/13 at 02:15 PM ET

“I am not a goal scorer”

Then what exactly were you doing breaking Gordie Howe’s record for most GWGs in a playoff year and tying him for points scored in consecutive playoff games, Ass?

Posted by SYF from The Revenge of Johnny E on 08/29/13 at 02:28 PM ET

We noticed.

No doubt.  I mean, nearly 32 goals per 82 games over the past 6 years?

He sucks.  Anybody could do that.

Signed,

Henrik Zetterberg (29 goals per 82 games the past 6 years).
Pavel Datsyuk (Just less than 29 goals per 82 games the past 6 years).

Posted by HockeyinHD on 08/29/13 at 03:06 PM ET

Guilherme's avatar

Posted by HockeyinHD on 08/29/13 at 04:06 PM ET

So he says he’s not a goal scorer, and you compare him to other guys who are not goal scorers.

Posted by Guilherme from Brazsil on 08/29/13 at 03:34 PM ET

Crater's avatar

Maybe the new East faces will get Franzen focused.

Posted by Crater from SoCal on 08/29/13 at 03:45 PM ET

Hootinani's avatar

“I am not a goal scorer”

We noticed.
Posted by bezukov from the kids are alright. on 08/29/13 at 03:13 PM ET

I picture him saying that while doing a Richard Nixon impersonation, and it makes me smile.

Posted by Hootinani on 08/29/13 at 03:56 PM ET

Oh good grief.  How many goalscorers are there, then?  9?

Posted by HockeyinHD on 08/29/13 at 04:04 PM ET

George Malik's avatar

One might argue that, in this day and age, 25 goals = the old “30-goal” standard. But that’s just semantics.

Posted by George Malik from South Lyon, MI on 08/29/13 at 04:06 PM ET

Guilherme's avatar

Oh good grief.  How many goalscorers are there, then?  9?

On the Red Wings? Sadly, I think none.

Posted by Guilherme from Brazsil on 08/29/13 at 04:10 PM ET

Red Winger's avatar

“I am not a goal scorer…unless we play Ottawa in a meaningless regular season game”

fixt

Posted by Red Winger from Sault Ste Marie on 08/29/13 at 04:35 PM ET

Red Winger's avatar

Oh good grief.  How many goalscorers are there, then?  9?

On the Red Wings? Sadly, I think none.

Posted by Guilherme from Brazsil on 08/29/13 at 05:10 PM ET

I think that Datsyuk character might be labelled a “goal scorer” smile

Posted by Red Winger from Sault Ste Marie on 08/29/13 at 04:36 PM ET

gowings's avatar

“I am not a goal scorer”

Thus meaning “stop telling me I am lazy….I am just a hockey player” ...making excuses? Pressure too much for you?

I apologize…it is clear what I think of him….this is just me…..I just can’t shake it off!!!!

Posted by gowings from MTL on 08/29/13 at 04:51 PM ET

Hootinani's avatar

Posted by Hootinani on 08/29/13 at 04:56 PM ET

Or better yet, saying that while being cornered by an angry mob, and doing an impersonation of the Elephant Man.

Posted by Hootinani on 08/29/13 at 06:12 PM ET

You guys forget that the wings have Samuellson!

Posted by neffernin on 08/29/13 at 06:14 PM ET

Red Winger's avatar

You guys forget that the wings have Samuellson!

Posted by neffernin on 08/29/13 at 07:14 PM ET

then it seems our massive intake of alcohol and Drano is working well.

Posted by Red Winger from Sault Ste Marie on 08/29/13 at 06:58 PM ET

On the Red Wings? Sadly, I think none.

Thank you for demonstrating the absence of rationality in the center your argument.

The notion that a guy who scores 32 per 82 isn’t a goal scorer is absurd.  It is absurd that Franzen says it, and it’s absurd you believe it.

In order for that asinine standard to have any meaning you’d have to set the cutoff somewhere sufficiently above 32 per 82 to make it noteworthy. I mean, there’s a pretty high bar for stupid statements regarding Franzen here, but trying to say he’s not a goalscorer at 32/82 but someone at 35/82 was, well, that’d be an accomplishment even here.

The standard for ‘goalscorer’ would have to be 38-40/82, at least.  Pretty much half a goal a game.  There are rarely years where 8 guys hit .45-.5 goals a game.

In other words, it’s a silly, unrealistic standard that falls apart under even the most cursory analysis.

Posted by HockeyinHD on 08/29/13 at 06:58 PM ET

tkfergy's avatar

“I’ll try to hide somewhere. I really don’t like being in front of the camera.”

Must be why I never see him on the ice.

Posted by tkfergy on 08/29/13 at 09:56 PM ET

Guilherme's avatar

No, thank you for being so polite in your insult. I still don’t know why you compared Franzén to Datsyuk and Zetterberg, since they are not goalscorers too, but whatever.

Also, bezukov made a joke. Do you have to try and be right all the time?

I think that Datsyuk character might be labelled a “goal scorer”

I’d say he’s more a playmaker. Sure, some of the plays he makes are for himself, but mostly a creator.

Posted by Guilherme from Brazsil on 08/29/13 at 10:27 PM ET

Posted by Guilherme from Brazsil on 08/29/13 at 11:27 PM ET

To say that Zetterberg, Datsyuk OR Franzen aren’t goal scorers is absurd.

Posted by Garth on 08/30/13 at 12:22 AM ET

Guilherme's avatar

To say that Zetterberg, Datsyuk OR Franzen aren’t goal scorers is absurd.

That depends on what you mean with “goal scorer”.

It might be my soccer background*, but I see goal scorer as someone whose main characteristic is scoring goals. After all, in a way, all players are goals corers.

If someone asks you to define Datsyuk and Zetterberg in two ways, “goal scorer” will come behind “two-way forward” or “playmaker”. Franzén might have “(pseudo-)power-forward” first (and “lazy motherfucher” second).

(*Messi might score a whole bunch of goals, but that’s not the only reason he’s Messi. Now take Balotelli, whose only job is to shoot from wherever. That’s a goal scorer)

Posted by Guilherme from Brazsil on 08/30/13 at 07:36 AM ET

Red Winger's avatar

It might be my soccer background ...

Posted by Guilherme from Brazsil on 08/30/13 at 08:36 AM ET

Aha! Therein lies the problem: you don’t see Datsyuk kick the puck in enough smile

Posted by Red Winger from Sault Ste Marie on 08/30/13 at 08:11 AM ET

This is the point you shy away from engaging on, though.  If Franzen at 32 per 82 isn’t a goalscorer… what level of production do you require in order to call someone a goalscorer.  How many people per year meet your standard of ‘goalscoring’?

You realize there are going to be, at most, like 8 guys who meet that standard, right?  What’s an ‘elite goalscorer’, then?  Are there only 1 or 2 elite goalscorer’s a year?

Any standard for ‘goalscorer’ that can’t include a guy who goes 32/82 is silly.

Applying that same standard to assists, it’d be like saying someone who has 60 assists per 82 games isn’t a playmaker.

But let’s set aside the numbers and reality for a second.

What I’m seeing is that you’re just a guy who doesn’t like Franzen, so your criticism of him being a ‘goalscorer’ or not isn’t a function of analysis, it’s a function of bias.  You’re just engaging in ephemeral semantic shenanigans because you don’t want to give him credit for anything positive, even the things he actually does, because those accomplishments conflict with your biased opinion of him.

Now that I know that’s what it is, bias instead of rational analysis… hey, have a blast with that.

Do you have to try and be right all the time?

It doesn’t require much effort.

Posted by HockeyinHD on 08/30/13 at 09:57 AM ET

Guilherme's avatar

Any standard for ‘goalscorer’ that can’t include a guy who goes 32/82 is silly.

Did you read what I said? I consider goal scorers players whose main job is to score goals. Heck, I forgot about Samuelsson, but I consider him a goal scorer if only because that’s the only good aspect of his game. On that same vein, I consider Brunner a goal scorer.

That’s why I say Datsyuk and Zetterberg aren’t goal scorers. Sure, they are on a literal sense, but they are complete players who do much more than score goals.

I defend Franzén all the time. I was the one who looked upo his stats am comparable cap hits to show how his production is coming on a very cheap salary. I like the guy, most of the time.

I do give credit for the postitive stuff he brings, and that’s exactly what I’m saying dammit. The “positive stuff he brings” is not just goals, it’s more than that, hence the “not a goal scorer” thing.

Posted by Guilherme from Brazsil on 08/30/13 at 10:18 AM ET

Posted by Guilherme from Brazsil on 08/30/13 at 08:36 AM ET

Even under that definition (which I don’t buy), I don’t think you can argue that Franzen is as good at anything as he is at scoring goals.

Wen Zetterberg and Datsyuk are not scoring goals they’re still doing a lot of other things.  When Franzen isn’t scoring pals he’s invisible.

And when you score nearly 30 goals a year and you’re still (justifiably) disappointing people with your output, it’s because you’re a goal scorer.

Datsyuk and Zetterberg aren’t only goal scorers, but the are goal scorers.  Franzen is a goal scorer above all else.

Posted by Garth on 08/30/13 at 10:21 AM ET

Primis's avatar

When Franzen isn’t scoring pals

Posted by Garth on 08/30/13 at 11:21 AM ET

He spends all his time not scoring pals here apparently.

The debate is not whether Franzen is a goal-scorer.  The debate is really if he’s a top-line goal-scorer or a 2nd line goalscorer.  The people who want him to be a top-line one are disappointed at “only” 30.

Posted by Primis on 08/30/13 at 10:39 AM ET