The Malik Report

Johan Franzen On His Game

via Dana Wakiji tweets,

Franzen: Even if I’m not scoring that’s not what I’m doing for this team. It’s not why I go out and play games to score goals.

Franzen: I’ve got a lot of things to do before that. It’s not even fifth on the list, probably, when you go out to a game.

Filed in: | The Malik Report | Permalink

Comments

1 2 >       Next »

SK77's avatar

Thanks for the heads up, Johan.  rolleyes

Posted by SK77 on 04/17/14 at 11:59 AM ET

Seriously?

Posted by George0211 on 04/17/14 at 12:00 PM ET

bezukov's avatar

That’s fine Johan.  I have no problem with you being a role player.  Just sit down with KH and dial back that contract a little.  You know?  The big payday you earned on the strength of your goal scoring?  That one.

Posted by bezukov from the kids are alright. on 04/17/14 at 12:01 PM ET

Well, Mule just regressed to Ass in two short sentences.  lOOKING fORWARD tO yOUR “gAME,” aSS.

Posted by SYF from Alana Blanchard's Bikinis and Surfboards on 04/17/14 at 12:03 PM ET

Not even fifth on his list? I’m really curious as to what the five things BEFORE scoring goals are on his list.

Posted by Pizizzle on 04/17/14 at 12:06 PM ET

Even if I’m not scoring that’s not what I’m doing for this team.

I think he means he is frustrated too - about not scoring goals. That’s what he is not doing for this team.

Posted by howeandhowe from Seattle on 04/17/14 at 12:10 PM ET

MurrayChadwick's avatar

Based on Franzen’s regular season play, let’s see….
1) Avoid physical contact
2) Only play at 80-85% of my capability and intensity
3) Relentless tight curl cross-overs on all check finishing opportunities see #1
4) Shoot at least 3 pucks over the net, at least two with teamates driving in on the entry.
5) Play outside dot lane, don’t go to the middle, see #1
6) Take my mouth guard out and complain to the refs.
7) Try to score.

Hopefully, Franzen packs away #1 and #2 and shows up in the playoffs like he normally does.

Posted by MurrayChadwick on 04/17/14 at 12:12 PM ET

LMFAO!!! Franzen must be drinking the Kool-Aid. I really don’t know what other reasons he’s on the team for? He’s slow as hell. He doesn’t really fight, he’s not rough anymore I mean. Wtf is he supposed to do? Franzen is the best “natural” sniper and goal scorer on the team, he’s better than Z and datsyuk at scoring…. Problem is… he doesn’t score anymore. He has a wicked wrister. Lately D and Z been showing him up on scoring goals. Oh well…

Posted by Pasha1277 on 04/17/14 at 12:14 PM ET

perfection's avatar

I think you guys are obviously missing his point. He’s regurgitating Babcock coaching. I’m sure Pav and Gus would say the exact same thing. I can only guess at the four things he prioritizes over scoring and they are probably related to defense and work ethic.

Now I realize his work ethic has been called into question but I think we’ve seen playoff mule bring another level of intensity and hopefully thatll be the case this year. It’ll be interesting to see how he plays.

But I wouldn’t read too deeply into tweets with zero context.. Guys who would say to a reporter their main job is to score pretty much play like Ovechkin and don’t really win. Babs has these guys playing as a team right now and I think Mule is talking like a good soldier

Posted by perfection from LaLaLand on 04/17/14 at 12:15 PM ET

SnLO's avatar

List of things for Franzen to do:
1) climb over board onto ice
19) coast
20) step through door to bench
21) take seat

rinse / repeat

Posted by SnLO from beyond the M-1 on 04/17/14 at 12:16 PM ET

awould's avatar

I hope Babcock or Zetterberg give him a new list of priorities to focus on. We really need him to be goal-scoring-Playoff-Mule if we’re gonna beat Boston.

Posted by awould on 04/17/14 at 12:20 PM ET

Hahaha, SnLO, I love that post. Picturing it in your head makes it better.

Posted by CrimsonPhoenix on 04/17/14 at 12:22 PM ET

redxblack's avatar

We’re forgetting “Get really fired up once a game is all but over in the last 5 minutes.”  That’s his role.

Posted by redxblack from Akron Ohio on 04/17/14 at 12:24 PM ET

SnLO.  TOOOO Funny.

Posted by Pasha1277 on 04/17/14 at 12:36 PM ET

WingedRider's avatar

OK, I have resigned my expectations of Franzen to not knowing what he thinks he is supposed to do.

Sort of sounds like his priorities are not top 6.

Wait I have already done that for a few years., LOL

I hope goal scoring does pop into his head at some point but it is wait and see, I guess!

Maybe his nick name should Odd Duck

Posted by WingedRider from Saskatoon, SK on 04/17/14 at 12:47 PM ET

stonehands-78's avatar

maybe he’s talking tongue in cheek ???

Posted by stonehands-78 from the beginning ... a WingsFan, on 04/17/14 at 12:48 PM ET

WingedRider's avatar

maybe he’s talking tongue in cheek ???

Maybe still concussed

Posted by WingedRider from Saskatoon, SK on 04/17/14 at 12:52 PM ET

SK77's avatar

Judging by the responses here, #1 on his list should be working on his interviews / quotes. Dude ALWAYS comes off poorly.

Posted by SK77 on 04/17/14 at 01:17 PM ET

HockeytownOverhaul's avatar

Man no wonder jimmy D says ” were stuck with him”. No BS 4m for 28 goals a year isn’t too bad.  Would go a long way towards getting a dman yeah?  You wouldn’t think wed be ” stuck” with him unless nobody else think he’s worth a damn either.  As he said he’s not paid to score goals.  Why are we always putting him with people to get him going? Why do we cater to your scoring droughts? Sounds like he wants to be a 3rd liner to me.  I have a sneaking suspicion he’s gradually turned into a detriment in the locker room.  Unmotivated.  Only plays hard when he’s mad.  Sounds like a Leaf to me.  His personality since his concussion in that fight that started his string.  Depression is a common side effect and that may be affecting his game and explain his inconsistancy not only with scoring but with those mystery things he’s supposed to do like backchexk.  Also notice all the youngins talk about Kron and Alfies leadership but he’s practically never mentioned.

How many times you hear ” we need to try to get z going. Pav going.  Helm going.  Kronwall going…”. He’s literally the only vet who when slumping becomes totally invisible.  I can’t believe what a non factor he’s become the past 4 years.

Posted by HockeytownOverhaul on 04/17/14 at 01:19 PM ET

OlderThanChelios's avatar

Posted by perfection from LaLaLand

Well, then that makes it unanimous because he sucks at those things just as much as he sucks at scoring this spring.

Gotta say, both of the lists of Franzen’s “priorities” above are pretty damn funny – and waaaaay too accurate for comfort.

Posted by OlderThanChelios from Grand Rapids, MI on 04/17/14 at 01:25 PM ET

Franzen is at his best when he is given more responsibility. Playing him with Dats gives him less responsibility. I was happy Babs finally separated those 2 in practice yesterday, but I hear he went back to Dats/Franzen/Abby today again. With all my respect to Babcock, line combos is not his strength.

Posted by VPalmer on 04/17/14 at 01:29 PM ET

perfection's avatar

Mule shows up in the playoffs… usually. Maybe he will maybe he won’t, but guess what, it hasn’t happened yet. I plan on cheering for him, until I’m friggin hoarse. You all can jeer at him like the balls of negativity you all are.

And if you’re not going to reserve judgment until after he actually PLAYS, at least agree that if he helps us win some games you won’t be happy or excited about it, seeing you have already cast your votes

Posted by perfection from LaLaLand on 04/17/14 at 01:38 PM ET

SK77's avatar

Posted by perfection from LaLaLand on 04/17/14 at 02:38 PM ET

Right on. LGRWs!

Posted by SK77 on 04/17/14 at 01:45 PM ET

WingsFanInBeanLand's avatar

I hope someone spears him in the nuts so he will go into Mule mode and actually put goal scoring as #1 on his list.

Posted by WingsFanInBeanLand from where free agents no longer dare. on 04/17/14 at 01:49 PM ET

bezukov's avatar

Posted by perfection from LaLaLand on 04/17/14 at 02:38 PM ET

I don’t hate the guy, but it is frustrating because his contract is what it is because he was envisioned as a goal scorer, and that hasn’t panned out.  I doubt Mule had a problem with the label back in those days.

I know this is a highly imaginative scenario, but I hope he’d be willing to renegotiate his contract (if he can do that under the CBA) should the Wings face difficulty in keeping the likes of Tatar or Nyquist around due to money or cap space. All would be forgiven.

Posted by bezukov from the kids are alright. on 04/17/14 at 01:58 PM ET

HockeytownOverhaul's avatar

I know its hard to fatham but some people can actually make a distinction between the player and the person.  All we can go by are his interviews and he’s usually talking bout how he’s usually grumpy or enjoying playing back home to experience some joy playing hockey.  IM not mad because I hate him.  I’m mad because he’s completely capable but since that coyote series few years back he’s been largely invisible.  Am I not allowed to think he’s capable of more and be upset when year after year after year its the same thing and same argument?  Some people evidently love the Wings so much ey

Posted by HockeytownOverhaul on 04/17/14 at 02:07 PM ET

perfection's avatar

he had 41 pts in 54 games in what he’d probably call a frustrating season. It’s surely not all that terrible for a guy who’s cap hit is $3.95 mi. I mean, Helm’s cap hit is $2.1mil and I’d say Franzen has been incredibly more of a bang for the buck than Helmer has.

also, what I think is the most frustrating about Franzen is that he’s so streaky. More than most. But he’s also timely. When he went on his most recent goal scoring streak, it was right when Pav and Z went down and we needed him most. He helped get the ball rolling on the playoff drive and then Gus basically took over.

But this is why I reserve judgment. Because while he got his contract to “score” on some level, I think it’s his playoff performances that really earned it. He’s always been streaky and it’s why he gets $4mil instead of $5mil.  But he brings it this time of year. If he scores no goals but lets say an overtime winner, well, that’s Mule being Mule and I’ll take it all day. So let’s see what he does. We definitely need him if we’re going to beat these guys.

The other thing is he has a way of getting under guys skin big time. We are playing a team particularly prone to getting riled up. This too could come in handy.

Posted by perfection from LaLaLand on 04/17/14 at 02:11 PM ET

TreKronor's avatar

Datsyuks Point/Game: .822
Franzen’s Point/Game: .759
Alfredsson Point/Game: .720

Datsyuk cap hit: $6.7 mil
Franzen cap hit: $3.95 mil
Alfredsson cap hit: $3.5 (plus $2 mil in bonuses)

Clearly Franzen needs to go.  He sucks for the amount of money spent on him.

Posted by TreKronor on 04/17/14 at 02:12 PM ET

perfection's avatar

Posted by HockeytownOverhaul on 04/17/14 at 03:07 PM ET

you can pretend that “some people” aren’t thinking as critically as you or whatever, but it’s the day before GAME 1 and people are just bitching over nothing. It’s a new season. Franzen has done neither good or bad.

The thing is, if Franzen scores two goals tomorrow, all this talk will become instantly silent and the bandwagon will be full. Knowing this, I’d sure rather read about how you HOPE we see Franzen at his best rather than how you EXPECT him to be at his worse. I mean, are you even a fan? Or do you just like complaining.

Posted by perfection from LaLaLand on 04/17/14 at 02:15 PM ET

Or do you just like complaining.

Posted by perfection from LaLaLand on 04/17/14 at 03:15 PM ET

That grin

Posted by George0211 on 04/17/14 at 02:18 PM ET

The_Firebird's avatar

If Mantha continues on his current pace and pans out at the professional level, Franzen will become expendable very quickly.

Players like Tatar, Nyquist, Jurco, Sheahan, Mantha, etc. are chomping at the bit for the opportunity to play for the Wings, and would contribute much more frequently at a slim fraction of Franzen’s salary. What’s the point in rewarding Franzen for his regular season stat line when he scores 4, 5 or 6 goals in a single game only to go cold for a quarter of the season?

Posted by The_Firebird on 04/17/14 at 02:18 PM ET

HockeytownOverhaul's avatar

Great point perfection.  No one should talk about anything cause anything could change tomorrow.  I’m suddenly uninterested in reading what other people are hypothesizing since tomorrows a vacuum.  That being said.  You might think some of us are negative but we could come in here tomorrow and be the most rosey eyed fans ever to post here.  So your bitching bout negative posts is irrelivent.

Posted by HockeytownOverhaul on 04/17/14 at 02:23 PM ET

TreKronor's avatar

Dang, you are right.  Man, this season I lost track of all the 4, 5, or 6 goal games he had.

Posted by TreKronor on 04/17/14 at 02:26 PM ET

HockeytownOverhaul's avatar

Did you miss his 17 point stretch then go cold for 3 months?  Did you miss him getting outscored in goals and points by a rookie who played in little over two thirds a season?

Posted by HockeytownOverhaul on 04/17/14 at 02:29 PM ET

perfection's avatar

i’m sure you could… but that’s basically my point. Fair weather hypocrisy at its finest.

All I’m saying is ONE of the two of us is nothing but excited. The other has just so much to get off his chest. And yet you say I’M the one bitching. Very funny LOL

Posted by perfection from LaLaLand on 04/17/14 at 02:31 PM ET

HockeytownOverhaul's avatar

Wish a franzen supported would give me something to look for in a he to validate their point.  He was a 20 goal scoring top line sniper last year if you take put the Sens game.  Bet teams are clammering for a franzen type in the lineup.  Of injured coaster who shows you how good he is WHEN HE FEELS LIKE IT meanwhile I keep paying money to watch him play.  Biy contract stability f those.  Can’t muster it up.  But of you get hulk mad.. Gimme a break.  Hardly. “Professional” attitude.  Gus demonstrates more maturity both in interviews and on the ice.

Posted by HockeytownOverhaul on 04/17/14 at 02:33 PM ET

TreKronor's avatar

He’s streaky - no doubt about it.  “Snipers” do tend to be streaky.  Speaking of young snipers…while Nyquist has been on a tear of late, I don’t think he can keep it up, and I don’t think the opposition will let him get away with it.  But I hope I’m wrong.

Mule usually scores goals in the playoffs, and Babcock mentioned this much just last week.  We’ll just have to wait and see.

Posted by TreKronor on 04/17/14 at 02:35 PM ET

HockeytownOverhaul's avatar

Lol I was jut giving my opinion man.  My opinions are usually bout hockey until someone. Usually you or HD turn the conversation to me being wrong for them instead of talking bout the game.  Like you’re a better fan o something.  Sorry I’m not that boujie.  I save my real pessimism for my actual life and real worries like paying bills and keeping my job.  Sorry if I like to pontificate on my favorite sport team.

Remindse of these buckye fans.  If you don’t drink the koolaid you’re a piece of shit and they’re better than you.  Outstanding “perfection”

Posted by HockeytownOverhaul on 04/17/14 at 02:36 PM ET

Franzen had a good season.  He went cold at the same time that Legwand became his linemate.  He was a healthy scratch on the last day of the season when Pav had his best game. I am expecting him to play well now that he’s away from Mr. -3.  We’ll see.

Posted by jkm2011 on 04/17/14 at 02:37 PM ET

TreKronor's avatar

Posted by HockeytownOverhaul on 04/17/14 at 03:36 PM ET

Thought I was agreeing with you - sorry man.

Posted by TreKronor on 04/17/14 at 02:37 PM ET