The Malik Report

Joe Hicketts On His Time With The Wings

from Peter J. Wallner of Mlive,

His welcome-to-the-NHL moment?

"Probably after the national anthem and they turned on the lights," Hicketts said. "It was the brightest rink I've ever seen. I was like, 'Wow, this is really happening.'"

A good game, parents on hand and some encouraging words? Hicketts had to soak it up, then reel it back in given the job at hand in Grand Rapids.

"It was great, and coming back, you bring a little confidence with you and, for me, a little more fire," Hicketts said after practice Friday. "Once you get a taste, it definitely makes you want to get back there."

Also, the Wings recalled David Booth and sent Dominic Turgeon to Grand Rapids.

Filed in: | The Malik Report | Permalink

Comments

Real inspirational words from Blashill. “I don’t want to tell you anything, but I’m doing that right now, so I guess I am telling you something.” At least it was a better message than what Bertuzzi noted in his interview…Blash told me not to do too much tonight. Solid advice. Bertuzzi gets to the NHL because he runs around hitting people, agitating people, driving to the net and battling people…and the advice given is to reign it in Bert, we don’t want you doing TOO much.

Coach is a complete moron. Should have been fired 18 months ago. The fact he is still here makes Kenny the bigger idiot.

Posted by fatsavage on 01/26/18 at 02:05 PM ET

ilovehomers's avatar

“Blash said, ‘I don’t want to tell you anything. I want you to go out there with what you know and do what you think will help this team win,’” Hicketts said. “That helped. I think that kind of calmed me down.”

Posted by ilovehomers on 01/26/18 at 02:08 PM ET

MurrayChadwick's avatar

Posted by ilovehomers on 01/26/18 at 01:08 PM ET

ah ha! Confirmation, Blashill doesn’t tell the young kids what to do, they skate around clueless,  no idea what to do, and if they do it wrong, they never know!

Posted by MurrayChadwick from Holland Hate Hyperbole Town (HHHT) on 01/26/18 at 02:14 PM ET

ilovehomers's avatar

Posted by MurrayChadwick from Holland Hate Hyperbole Town (HHHT) on 01/26/18 at 01:14 PM ET

haha I am kind of surprised that it wasn’t slanted like that. However, The very first part of that quote was used to slam Blashill in the first comment.

Which is why it’s always advisable to click the link and read the articles for ourselves and make our own judgement.

Posted by ilovehomers on 01/26/18 at 02:19 PM ET

Umm, I acknowledged that it was a better message than the nonsense provided to Bertuzzi. So maybe you guys want to read more carefully. I did poke fun of how he contradicts himself (ie I’m not going to tell you anything…and then proceeds to tell him something). But I clearly acknowledged that his words to Hicketts were more helpful than what was said to Bertuzzi. Hicketts himself said this was helpful. It’s like the hatred towards me runs so high that you guys don’t even read what I say…

Posted by fatsavage on 01/26/18 at 02:23 PM ET

Do you mean they are responsible for their own mistakes and successes? crazy! Here we were blaming Blashill for instruction and the team’s problems.

Posted by howeandhowe from Seattle on 01/26/18 at 02:29 PM ET

I’m tearing up right now…..

[sorry everyone, I couldn’t resist.]

Posted by howeandhowe from Seattle on 01/26/18 at 02:32 PM ET

TreKronor's avatar

I’m tearing up right now…..

[sorry everyone, I couldn’t resist.]

It’s funny, because I couldn’t even see it until you quoted it hahahahaha.

Posted by TreKronor on 01/26/18 at 02:39 PM ET

MurrayChadwick's avatar

I certainly don’t unless others copy you, as I have chosen to ignore your comments
  cheese

Posted by MurrayChadwick from Holland Hate Hyperbole Town (HHHT) on 01/26/18 at 02:43 PM ET

WingedRider's avatar

Posted by howeandhowe from Seattle on 01/26/18 at 01:29 PM ET

The one problem with JB that infuriates me.  He can not keep his mouth shut and mention (some) names to the press.  That rarely happens in any sport at most levels, hanging only prospects out to dry is classless.

Instructions to all players, not sure he has figured out how to say it?

Montreal lost 6-5 (with Price and to the Canes) and Coach Julien said nearly exactly what JB said with a small difference.  The Habs didn’t show up ready to play not all but all but enough. (sort of his quote) DID NOT use players names to the press.  Class!!!!

He has or will lose some of the room making losing his job more likely.

Posted by WingedRider from Saskatoon, SK on 01/26/18 at 02:57 PM ET

ilovehomers's avatar

It’s pretty simple; the section about what Blashill said to Hicketts helped Hicketts, but instead of using the whole section, the decision was made to snip it off, make a sarcastic remark, and use it as a narrative piece, in part, to call the coach a “moron.”

It’s not like Blashill doesn’t give us reason to question him. What I would ask is that we are honest in these criticisms.

Not trying to ‘b a h8er,’ just constructive conversation. Maybe people wouldn’t ‘h8 on u’ if would take their advice.

Posted by ilovehomers on 01/26/18 at 03:15 PM ET

ilovehomers's avatar

It would also help if I didn’t completely lop words out of my sentences. smile

Posted by ilovehomers on 01/26/18 at 03:17 PM ET

I’m guessing Bertuzzi was yapping about his all-star weekend plans. Comes into the lockeroom with his bags packed for Cabo. Hey Lark’s. You should be coming to Cabo with me. So and so is going. We’re going to party hard. Hey what about you Mantha? What are you doing. Ahh, sweet. Cancun sounds fun too. We should have planned this together bro! Aww shit, coach Blashill just got here. Better pay attention to some process talk. (after 30 minutes of process nonsense Blashill leaves the room). And Bert gets right back to the conversation about partying in Mexico. The guy has a bad game. So Blashill singles him out as being un-prepared to play. Meanwhile a bunch of other veterans also had their bags packed for Mexico and mailed it in, but they kept their mouth shut, so only Bert gets noted in the media. Just a guess…

Posted by fatsavage on 01/26/18 at 04:27 PM ET

Just a guess…

really? I thought you were in the locker room.

Posted by howeandhowe from Seattle on 01/26/18 at 04:32 PM ET

I am still curious who was the mysterious second person who “did not show up” for the game according to Blashill

Posted by VPalmer on 01/26/18 at 05:17 PM ET

Posted by VPalmer on 01/26/18 at 04:17 PM ET

FS. He was on his way to Cabo.

Posted by howeandhowe from Seattle on 01/26/18 at 06:00 PM ET

ilovehomers's avatar

I find it odd that we WOULDNT want our players focused on their opponent. Professional hockey players making 6 - 7 figures.

Letting players goof around is not how the 1980 Americans defeated the Russians.

Posted by ilovehomers on 01/26/18 at 06:30 PM ET