The Malik Report

Jimmy Howard Out At Least A Week

Chuck Pleiness of Red Wings Front with an update after practice,

Howard was in getting treatment and said he has fluid on his knee and that he didn’t think the injury was as serious as the MCL sprain he suffered last month.

He injured the knee making a save in the first period on a Blues’ power play.

“As the game went on in the second period it just got stiffer and stiffer,” Howard said. “I’m hoping short term. It’s not as serious as it last time in Tampa.”

Howard, who will get re-evaluated in a week, missed eight games after suffering the MCL sprain during practice.

“First and foremost is getting the knee healthy for this organization,” said Howard, who added he wasn’t concerned about missing the Olympics. “It is frustrating. You’re moving in the right direction, you feel you’re doing all the right things and we were doing all the right things. It’s just bad luck, I guess.”

more plus other injury news...

added 2:18pm, Khan with his post-practice update, Gusttavsson cleared to play and Ericsson is possible for tomorrow...

Jonas Gustavsson (groin) has been cleared to play and will start Wednesday against the Chicago Blackhawks at Joe Louis Arena (8 p.m., NBC Sports Network only).

"I’ve been feeling pretty good a few days now," Gustavsson said. "I think we wanted to take a couple more days to make sure I would get some good practices in and see how my body reacted to that."

Defenseman Jonathan Ericsson (broken ribs) said he is ready to play and coach Mike Babcock listed him as possible for Wednesday.

Pavel Datsyuk (lower-body injury), Johan Franzen (concussion) and Daniel Alfredsson (back) all skated today but none of them will be ready for Wednesday. Joakim Andersson (lower body) and Cory Emmerton (finger) also remain out.

Several players did not skate today (Henrik Zetterberg, Daniel Cleary, Patrick Eaves, Niklas Kronwall, Kyle Quincey), but Babcock said all will play Wednesday.

Filed in: | The Malik Report | Permalink

Comments

That’s gonna bring some stability to the pairings.  Smitty did a fairly good job with Kronner, which means I’m terrified that he’s gonna be paired up with Q again.

Posted by SYF from the team that re-signed KFQ and DFC by KFH on 01/21/14 at 03:28 PM ET

Figaro's avatar

Hooray?

Posted by Figaro from Los Alamos, NM on 01/21/14 at 04:07 PM ET

Who sits when Big E returns?

Posted by VitoLambruski on 01/21/14 at 04:13 PM ET

Alan's avatar

Me too.

Glad Monster and E-52 are back. Just want AT LEAST Franzen to come back soon.

Posted by Alan from Atlanta on 01/21/14 at 04:13 PM ET

MoreShoot's avatar

Who sits when Big E returns?

I think Kindl is Babcock’s favorite whipping post. My money is on him.

Posted by MoreShoot on 01/21/14 at 04:16 PM ET

Just had the weirdest thought for our top line when Dats returns.  Sheahan centering Z and Pavel.

Posted by maltby18 on 01/21/14 at 04:54 PM ET

MoreShoot's avatar

Better: Z, Pav, and Sauce

Posted by MoreShoot on 01/21/14 at 04:57 PM ET

Figaro's avatar

Posted by maltby18 on 01/21/14 at 03:54 PM ET
MoreShoot’s avatar

Better: Z, Pav, and Sauce

Posted by MoreShoot on 01/21/14 at 03:57 PM ET

I like the Sheahan idea better.  They’ll both happily go to the front of the net, but Riled Up is somewhat more tree-like and can take the beating better to slam home the rebounds than Tats.  Plus, I see him being upright more often than Abby on the line, which leads to more opportunities.

Posted by Figaro from Los Alamos, NM on 01/21/14 at 05:09 PM ET

alwaysaurie's avatar

Who sits when Big E returns?

Either Lashoff or Kindl. I hope it’s Lashoff… I hope the coaches think Kindl’s a better option.

I like the Sheahan idea better.

I’m pretty sure the Sheahan mention was a joke, it had Sheahan centering Datsyuk and Zetterberg - not as a winger.

Posted by alwaysaurie on 01/21/14 at 05:44 PM ET

Figaro's avatar

Posted by alwaysaurie on 01/21/14 at 04:44 PM ET

Babs is always tinkering with the lines smile

Posted by Figaro from Los Alamos, NM on 01/21/14 at 06:18 PM ET

Not a joke, and probably not something we’d ever see.  Beats talking about injuries and losses though.

Besides, a healthy team with Z-Sheahan-Dats could give teams fits to matchup against.  Sheahan becoming a Homer that can skate as someone said gave me the idea.

Posted by maltby18 on 01/21/14 at 07:10 PM ET

bigfrog's avatar

Who sits when Big E returns?

Either Lashoff or Kindl. I hope it’s Lashof

It will probably be Lashoff, although it seems he has played better lately.

Posted by bigfrog on 01/21/14 at 08:21 PM ET

shanetx's avatar

Better: Z, Pav, and Sauce

I feel like Tatar needs the puck to be effective.  So do Z and Datsyuk, but they have a history of working off of each other that recommends them as an effective duo.  The three of them on the same line seems problematic to me.

I’d like to see Tatar and Nyquist play together consistently with either Andersson, Abdelkader or Helm, depending on healthiness and defensive effectiveness against various opponents.  The Wings would be well off if Tatar and Nyquist could develop a smidge of the chemistry that the Andersson-Nyquist-Brunner line had last year, or in a best fathomable case scenario something like what the Wings were getting from the Filppula-Franzen-Samuelsson second line in the playoffs in 08.  The two of them might be the cornerstone of the team’s offense moving forward, or they might be merely average second line players, but I feel like figuring out how to get them working well together is a near-must unless the Wings can somehow find a shooter that can capitalize on the stickhandling/work those guys do.

Posted by shanetx from Floydada, Texas on 01/21/14 at 10:32 PM ET