The Malik Report

Jeff Blashill On Riley Sheahan

from George Sipple of the Detroit Free Press,

Blashill was asked whether he has considered benching Sheahan or altering his minutes, considering the lack of offense.

“The decision I make on a nightly basis is who gives us our best chance to win,” Blashill said. “I actually think Riley does tons of good stuff.”

Blashill said Sheahan’s poor plus-minus rating is affected by the lack of offense.

“From a process standpoint, Riley does lots of good things,” Blashill said. “Riley’s a good hockey player. He’s big and strong. There’s times I’ve been able to play him against the best players in the league. Other guys, you simply can’t, because they don’t have the same physical attributes.”

Blashill said Sheahan has had chances to score.

“There’s a balance between giving someone a wake-up call, taking someone out to put someone else in because you think it’s the better lineup, and confidence,” Blashill said. “That’s a balance I have to deal with, as a coach, every day.”

more from Blashill on Mantha and Nyquist taken off the power today in practice...

added 1:59pm, from Ansar Khan of Mlive,

"I took a couple guys off the power play today because I was unhappy with the choice they made on the track, on a back-check that ended up in our net," Blashill said. "Will they be on the power play tomorrow? They sure might be. We'll see."

That's a significant chunk of offense for a team that's last in the NHL on the power play. Nyquist is tied for third on the team with 26 points and Mantha has 11 goals in 35 games.

"That play we didn't do a good enough job of coming back hard," Nyquist said. "We talked about that, how we have to do the little things right and we didn't do that on that play. Coach makes the decisions on the power play and right now we're off it so I'll be ready if I get called on."

They were replaced by Dylan Larkin, who logged only one shift on the power play the previous game, and Riley Sheahan. They were on the unit with Henrik Zetterberg. Thomas Vanek and Mike Green.

"What they did was open the door for me to look at two other guys," Blashill said.

Filed in: | The Malik Report | Permalink

Comments

1 2 >       Next »

Vladimir16's avatar

Nauseating

Posted by Vladimir16 from Grand River Valley on 02/02/17 at 01:44 PM ET

Jeff, quit the craziness, don’t you think Mantha and Nyquist feel bad enough. Nyquist off because of lack of production along with this incident, but Mantha no. His upside far outweighs this incident.This is a hangup with you(defensive crap), offensively a player can produce nothing or next to, all year and get rewarded with excessive playing time including all PP’s but not for one messup resulting in a goal. You need therapy.

Posted by stateofmifan on 02/02/17 at 02:06 PM ET

stonehands-78's avatar

“From a process standpoint, ... “

there’s that word again ... hmmm

Posted by stonehands-78 from the beginning ... a WingsFan, on 02/02/17 at 02:09 PM ET

Just ugh

Posted by George0211 on 02/02/17 at 02:09 PM ET

Is he trying to convince himself?

And that’s…an excuse?

“What they did was open the door for me to look at two other guys,” Blashill said.

I would not even comment on this sentence. It’s just so sad that this guy who a lot of us had so many hopes for is still somehow coaching our team.

Posted by VPalmer on 02/02/17 at 02:11 PM ET

“From a process standpoint, Riley does lots of good things

And from a process standpoint is he better to have on a PP than AA? Is Helm better on a PP than AA? Just from a process standpoint:)

Posted by VPalmer on 02/02/17 at 02:13 PM ET

MurrayChadwick's avatar

But Blashill said, in judging their overall performance, the line of Henrik Zetterberg, Mantha and Nyquist was “by far, not even close” the best line for the Wings on Tuesday.

“So why would I? Because the rest of the game, they were excellent,” Blashill said.

Excellent? Did Sipple write Excellent?

Where’s the tape.  Can someone get ahold of Sipple’s editor? He’s clearly making stuff up here, HHHT has told us Blashill NEVER compliments the young guys only vets, and that he only rips them, and its usually for something Ericcson has done 200x like not backcheck hard enough.

Posted by MurrayChadwick from Window Seat on the Captain's Ship on 02/02/17 at 02:14 PM ET

MurrayChadwick's avatar

Posted by VPalmer on 02/02/17 at 02:13 PM ET

And from a process standpoint is he better to have on a PP than AA?

To stand in front of the goalie, yes.

Is Helm better on a PP than AA?

That is a great question, AA hasn’t gotten enough time IMO (Obviously everyone else’s) and Helms been hurt all season. Helm is good at puck retrievals, something that hurts our PP, unsure if that outweighs his decisions or lack of scoring ability when he gets it.

Posted by MurrayChadwick from Window Seat on the Captain's Ship on 02/02/17 at 02:16 PM ET

I would change the question a little: “considering the lack of offense, lack of defense and lack of physical play”

Posted by VPalmer on 02/02/17 at 02:21 PM ET

Helm is good at puck retrievals

There is Abby already there for that. Why do you need 40% of your unit consisting of players who are not scorers?

Posted by VPalmer on 02/02/17 at 02:24 PM ET

MurrayChadwick's avatar

Posted by VPalmer on 02/02/17 at 02:24 PM ET

I’m agree with you, but to answer your question, Abby as the net front is the low cycle option, on shots you hope he’s causing all sorts of chaos,  whereas the wings are often challenged to retrieve pucks on shots that are off target or blocked.

Posted by MurrayChadwick from Window Seat on the Captain's Ship on 02/02/17 at 02:28 PM ET

PierreC's avatar

the guy doesnt have a clue about coaching. Period…

Posted by PierreC from Montreal, Canada on 02/02/17 at 02:31 PM ET

duhduhduh's avatar

challenged to retrieve pucks on shots that are off target or blocked.

roughly, 85% or Wing offerings.

Posted by duhduhduh on 02/02/17 at 02:34 PM ET

MurrayChadwick's avatar

Posted by MoreShoot on 02/02/17 at 02:34 PM ET

Your being generous, not hard to get in a shot lane when you don’t move the puck, or have someone that can get a quick dangerous shot off when they do.

Posted by MurrayChadwick from Window Seat on the Captain's Ship on 02/02/17 at 02:37 PM ET

DocF's avatar

The whole statement from Blashill is purely attempting to justify his coaching techniques and his rationale for his personnel decisions.  They are the words of a coach who is getting close to being fired.  I can do as well and in my 70 years of following the Red Wings, I have never claimed to be a coach.

Posted by DocF from Now: Lynn Haven, FL; was Reidsville, NC on 02/02/17 at 02:41 PM ET

I was glad when Blashill was introduced as a head coach. I thought it was time for the team to open up from defensive schemes of Babcock. I still think even now it was time for a change. Also, I do not follow GR that much to know exactly who Blashill was. I knew he won the cup there and I believe was coaching the style of game that will suite our team. But now, I honestly do not want our young guys anywhere near this guy, there is nothing to learn there it seems.

Posted by VPalmer on 02/02/17 at 02:49 PM ET

I cannot stand Blash anymore.

Posted by benzanato on 02/02/17 at 03:00 PM ET

Process > Results.  The coach couldn’t be clearer on this point.
This clarifies why AA would be bench for not “being above” the guy even though he is clearly a dynamic scoring threat if you remove the bridal.

Can we trade for more automatons?  Any available in the draft?

Any question why the players seem to be playing uninspired hockey?
Or why the wings are so dang boring to watch?

Posted by Ventr on 02/02/17 at 03:01 PM ET

WingedRider's avatar

Does this idiot for a pretend coach really believe a Wings Fan will believe this BS. A very IRRITATING SOB!!!!

Posted by WingedRider from Saskatoon, SK on 02/02/17 at 03:05 PM ET

Down River Dan's avatar

Well, that certainly sounds like a fine strategy in theory Mr. Blashill.

Last place in your division, and conference.

30th ranked PP.

29th place in goal differential

28th place in goals Scored.

Explain to me again how playing Sheahan gives you the best chance to win….????

If your strategy so far has brought you to where you are know…...perhaps a new strategy may be in order??

Posted by Down River Dan on 02/02/17 at 03:07 PM ET

MurrayChadwick's avatar

Process > Results.

Posted by Ventr on 02/02/17 at 03:01 PM ET

Out of curiosity, and open to anyone to respond, isn’t that what you want for the right here, right now? Let’s face it, no matter who was on the bench, this team wasn’t doing anything, don’t you want improvement out of the young kids? Obviously that’s not happening with the Juniors (3yr guys) but if that’s truly Blash’s motivation and the coaching staff and the game film agree (something we don’t know) is that the goal irrespective of a few more Ws this season?

So for example, if Blashill beats a some point home to AA, like not alligator arming board battles (a rumor I’ve heard by the way) by cutting his minutes, and dogging him out in the film room, and he becomes a better player in year 3, then 4, and 5, and then plays 18 minutes a night, on the PP, and is a beast on the walls when this team has a chance to compete, and the results matter, isn’t that worthwhile?  Is it to me.  Who knows what and if that is what’s going on.

Posted by MurrayChadwick from Window Seat on the Captain's Ship on 02/02/17 at 03:11 PM ET

Jeff, how is it continually players and the team are regressing under your tenure. Your term is “process”, but at what point does this translate to more effective PP’s, more wins, better player stats etc. It seems you’re the only one that understands your “process”. Are the players all rebelling because they don’t like either you or your process, I doubt it, but I do think don’t understand it. Players look lost, out of position. Hate to say it but this team wasn’t a contender, but after you started they hardly look like an NHL team. After two seasons, Jeff you’re the biggest variable and the weakest link.

Posted by stateofmifan on 02/02/17 at 03:15 PM ET

TreKronor's avatar

Everything he’s been saying the last week has been a change of tone from the last year and a half really.  I think he’s clinging to his job.  I think the Wings are loyal and nice to work for and all, but I think he’s feeling incredibly pressured right now (as he should) and it’s starting to show.

Posted by TreKronor on 02/02/17 at 03:20 PM ET

Posted by TreKronor on 02/02/17 at 03:20 PM ET

Of course he is afraid for his job. His team is last in the conference. As someone wrote here or in another thread, this team under him has been steadily treading downwards.
You know things are bad when the diggers, who are normally pushing the party line, are questioning his decisions.

Posted by MurrayChadwick from Hey Hey Hockeyfart on 02/02/17 at 03:11 PM ET

There has to be a balance in these situations though. What are you teaching the young players here? You get punished for a mistake even if you’re one of the top producers on the team and a guy who does not produce gets rewarded because ” he does some good things”

Come on dude. I’ve been one of the defenders of Blash here, and even I’m fed up with his BS at this point.

Posted by George0211 on 02/02/17 at 03:27 PM ET

Jeff basically has a team that’s a failure and a lot of the production has come from the kids. What message is he sending, no matter how good or creative you are if you have a defensive lapse you’ve gone over the line. Let’s get the AA benching out of the way, it was being put on a line with Nielsen and Vanek’s that changed his production, not the benching because Larkin and Mantha run into the same problem on the bottom lines. Jeff’s process doesn’t work period.

Posted by stateofmifan on 02/02/17 at 03:34 PM ET

Posted by stateofmifan on 02/02/17 at 03:35 PM ET

OlderThanChelios's avatar

The decision I make on a nightly basis is who gives us our best chance to win,”

Last place in your division, and conference.

30th ranked PP.

29th place in goal differential

28th place in goals Scored.

Posted by Down River Dan

Beat me to it, Dan – and with more stats too. grin

Honestly, when Blashill says Riley is valuable because he’s “big and strong,” it’s obvious he needs the prescription changed on those Mr. Magoo glasses of his.

This guy has had five hits in the last four games. In those same four games, Abby had 10 hits and Helm had nine. Being “big and strong” doesn’t do the team any good if that size and (supposed) strength is never used.

Posted by OlderThanChelios from Grand Rapids, MI on 02/02/17 at 03:59 PM ET

I feel the goal in question was a bad goal, it should have been a save. That being said, I feel Jeff is trying to take the heat off the coaching staff. Since being influenced by the coaching staff, Coreau has played underwhelmingly. He’s more upset at this than 5v3 PP’s that generate zero shots on goal. Confusing.

Posted by stateofmifan on 02/02/17 at 04:01 PM ET

MurrayChadwick's avatar

Posted by George0211 on 02/02/17 at 03:27 PM ET

If your kids does the same thing wrong over and over and over, do you eventually quit trying to correct the behavior?

Again I’m just wondering if people support improving players over Ws at this point IF that was the underlying case, not saying it is, not defending this guys minutes or that guys minutes, I don’t know what’s going on behind the scenes.

Posted by MurrayChadwick from Window Seat on the Captain's Ship on 02/02/17 at 04:05 PM ET

Slumpy's avatar

Errorrson is big and strong, Sheahan is big and strong, DDK is tall, Glendening has a great work ethics oh yes all nice attributes for a team photo I guess but without skill mentioned first I think they make better salary cap shedding material.

Like Blash using the word “process” til our brains explode another nauseating saying common these days will apply to him:
At the end of the day
He’ll be fired and it’ll be a process.

Posted by Slumpy from Under My Wheels on 02/02/17 at 04:08 PM ET

No I don’t.
But I also don’t continuously pick on the younger kid and never punish the older kid.

Posted by George0211 on 02/02/17 at 04:08 PM ET

MurrayChadwick's avatar

Posted by George0211 on 02/02/17 at 04:08 PM ET

Interesting, so do your neighbors know how much you punish your kids, or do you tend to keep that within the confines of your house? Ice time is by and far the biggest reward/deterrent, like taking away a cell phone nowadays for those of you with teenagers, but there are a lot of ways to correct behavior too that are less transparent.

Posted by MurrayChadwick from Window Seat on the Captain's Ship on 02/02/17 at 04:16 PM ET

RWBill's avatar

The process of Sheahan with top 4 forward minutes and his usage on the PP has given us a #28 team and the worst PP in modern history.
For what, because Sheahan is the building block for the future?
JFC, it’s past time to start taking lumps while getting kids opportunities to make mistakes and learn from them, b/c the current process is getting us lumps anyway without prepping for the future.

Posted by RWBill on 02/02/17 at 04:20 PM ET

Totally agree George0211, and I also don"t put them in a position to fail.

Posted by stateofmifan on 02/02/17 at 04:25 PM ET

Posted by MurrayChadwick from Hey Hey Hockeyfart on 02/02/17 at 04:16 PM ET

No, but we are also not talking about children and family privacy. We are talking about a public sports team that is not performing and as fans we have every right to question it.
You are right about one thing though, none of us have any way of knowing what happens behind closed doors in Wings’ locker room, we can only go by what’s public. And what’s public is the fact that Blashill continuously calls out young players for every mistake they make and continuously lets veteran players slide. And I do understand that veteran players get more leeway than young players, but this is bordering on ridiculous.
And there is no good explanation, no matter how hard you try, in any hockey universe, where a defensive forward who has 0 as in ZERO goals on the year gets to play in more offensive situations than players who are goal scoring leaders of the said team.
And the fact that he continues to defend this approach is complete lunacy, specially when considering the results.
Last team in the conference, 3rd worst team in the entire league, worst PP in the league, one of the lowest scoring teams in the league.

Posted by George0211 on 02/02/17 at 04:26 PM ET

stonehands-78's avatar

... over and over and over and ...

Posted by stonehands-78 from the beginning ... a WingsFan, on 02/02/17 at 04:35 PM ET

MurrayChadwick's avatar

Posted by George0211 on 02/02/17 at 04:26 PM ET

Up until recently, the media only asked him about the young guys, why is AA not getting more ice, Larkin, etc. Nobody gave an eff about Ericcson or Helm. Aside from Nyquist and Mantha the other night, I’m not sure I’ve ever heard Blash volunteer criticism of a player, unless he was asked about that player.

And there is no good explanation, no matter how hard you try,

I’m sorry where I am trying again? Can you point me to those words in my mouth, unless I’m sleep posting or have been hacked.

Posted by MurrayChadwick from Window Seat on the Captain's Ship on 02/02/17 at 04:49 PM ET

... over and over and over and ...

apt as always stoney

Posted by Valek from Chicago on 02/02/17 at 05:02 PM ET

Perhaps Holland should use the same analysis on Blashill. Is he making positive steps? NO. Is he improving his defensive gameplan? NO Is his team fighting hard every game? NO. Are his teams ready to play every night? NO

Why should Blashill still be coaching? I cannot think of one reason why.

Changing coaches doesn’t guarantee improvement but it COULD. Keeping him pretty much assures the team will continue on this unacceptable path. We could have had a half season plus to see what another coach could do with this talent. The last 6 weeks have been wasted time. I wouldn’t expect another coach to bring them to the finals but this “process” is not doing a bit of good.

Posted by evileye on 02/02/17 at 05:02 PM ET