The Malik Report

Jeff Blashill On His Defensemen

via Dana Wakiji tweets,

Blashill on defense decisions: There's lots that go into those decisions, a lot of which I won't talk about.

Blashill on defense decisions: But I think there's tons in terms of resume, history, execution on a game-to-game basis.

Blashill on defense decisions: Everybody's got their opinions on who should play and who shouldn't.

Blashill on D decisions: We've got 7 NHL-caliber defensmen. I also know that the 6 that play have to play at a high level.

Blashill on defense decisions: And if we're going to win here tomorrow, they got to play at a high level, whichever six we choose.

added 1:34pm, from Helene St. James of the Detroit Free Press,

"We've got to tighten it up, eliminate easy chances for them," defenseman Jonathan Ericsson said today. Turnovers have been costly, something Ericsson addressed by saying, "everybody has got to get back to spots. Everyone has got to want the puck and talk.

"Communicate is probably the No. 1 thing, so we know where everyone is all the time and to help each other out. Because, a lot of times when you go to get pucks, you have your back to a player, so you don't really know what's going on behind you."

Overall, the Wings have allowed a staggering 49 goals their last 14 games, which explains why they're 6-8 in the past month.

read on

Filed in: | The Malik Report | Permalink

Comments

BladesOfSteel's avatar

DET has 7 NHL caliber Dmen, but none that are top pairing caliber. That’s the problem.

Posted by BladesOfSteel on 03/31/16 at 12:44 PM ET

RWBill's avatar

Funny, ironically, because the can’t wait for Babcock to leave crowd immediately welcomed the expert Communicator Blashill who would unleash the creativity and pent up talents of this Wings team.  What we’ve had is hesitation and slow play caused by uncertainty, loss of structure, and a need to communicate better which I’ve been reading players saying for three months.
Amid the cacophony of harsh and unjustifiably critical words at Babcock after last season I said he had this team overachieving for the last three years, and with a more talented team this year we will fall short of last year’s regular season and appear to be much easier to play against.

Posted by RWBill on 03/31/16 at 12:49 PM ET

Blashill on defense decisions: Nothing of substance.

There, fixed that.

Posted by Garth on 03/31/16 at 01:03 PM ET

Ericsson is not an NHL caliber defenseman.  The fact that he’s never been benched is really frustrating.

Posted by wingsrul91 on 03/31/16 at 01:05 PM ET

Vladimir16's avatar

Blashill on D decisions: We’ve got 7 NHL-caliber defensmen.

I’m skeptical.

Posted by Vladimir16 from Grand River Valley on 03/31/16 at 01:11 PM ET

what vladdy said…..

Posted by wingsrul91 on 03/31/16 at 01:19 PM ET

“Communicate is probably the No. 1 thing, so we know where everyone is all the time and to help each other out. Because, a lot of times when you go to get pucks, you have your back to a player, so you don’t really know what’s going on behind you.”

Kron said the same thing. Has to be a coaching problem at this point.

Posted by VPalmer on 03/31/16 at 01:21 PM ET

Burr87's avatar

He could have just saved time and said it bl ows and I’m not allowed to make personnel decisions based on hurting someone’s feelings because we’re all friends here. I’d bench E And Kronwall and take my chances with Marchy , XO and Smith at this point. Can it get worse?

Posted by Burr87 on 03/31/16 at 01:25 PM ET

Asking Jonathan Ericsson to comment on what the defense has to do to improve shows just how much of a joke this season has become.

Posted by Steve in SE MI on 03/31/16 at 01:29 PM ET

Figaro's avatar

Everyone has got to want the puck

I’ve yelled “Somebody want the fraking puck!” more times at my TV this season than I’d care to admit.

Posted by Figaro from Los Alamos, NM on 03/31/16 at 01:33 PM ET

The_Firebird's avatar

Man, I know I should be watching what I say knowing that Ozzy might be reading, but every word that comes out of Blashill’s mouth these days is the same party line, pasty bull$#!t that Holland spews out. While I don’t expect a coach to come out and lambaste his players, there most certainly aren’t 7 NHL caliber defensemen for the team to ice, and if he isn’t barking at Holland’s door at every opportunity he can about getting rid of some of the garbage that we’ve accumulated and getting some serious, respectable players, then he is only kneecapping himself.

Loyalty and frugality have kept this team a middling mess, it’s time for Kenny Holland to abdicate the throne and give the reigns to someone willing to make hard decisions, someone with some serious pride and a love of this franchise—- someone like Larionov.

Posted by The_Firebird on 03/31/16 at 04:14 PM ET

If Ozzie has any influence, and I believe he doesn’t make excuses for people, he will give Kenny a real perspective on Defense.

Posted by jhpcarrier97 on 03/31/16 at 04:48 PM ET

We have a couple of 3-4 pairs but no true top pairing. That’s the problem and the Wings don’t seem inclined to fix it. While they may have 7 NHL defensemen, only two or three are playing close to an NHL level.

When your entire defence is mediocre and your offence is sputtering, you are going to blow games….a lot of games.

Posted by NewfieWing on 03/31/16 at 07:24 PM ET

Colin's avatar

7 NHL defenseman?

*Cackles maniacally and jumps out sixth floor window*

Posted by Colin from Ken Holland's new yacht, "Incompetence" on 04/01/16 at 08:00 AM ET