The Malik Report

Jan Mursak Leaves The Wings’ Organization

from Peter J. Wallner of Mlive,

Jan Mursak, who was sent down to Grand Rapids Griffins following an injury-riddled stay in Detroit, has decided not to risk the wait to play with another NHL organization next season.

The 25-year-old right winger confirmed Tuesday he signed a two-year contract with Amur Khabarovsk, a team in the KHL. The deal, announced in Russia, is for one season with player option for the second season.

“I would love to stay here in the states, but so far in the NHL I haven’t had much luck with the injuries,” Mursak said. “I think it was time to move on and try something new. I got a really good offer and I couldn’t refuse it.”

continued

Filed in: | The Malik Report | Permalink

Comments

That’s too bad.  Thanks, Jan.  Best of luck.

Posted by SYF from Alana Blanchard's Bikinis and Surfboards on 05/07/13 at 09:06 PM ET

He could’ve been good on a line with Helm. Too bad we kept signing guys we didn’t need, and he kept getting hurt.

Posted by CrimsonPhoenix on 05/07/13 at 09:08 PM ET

redxblack's avatar

Over ripened and left on the shelf too long.

Posted by redxblack from Akron Ohio on 05/07/13 at 10:09 PM ET

mrfluffy's avatar

A shame but not surprising. Between injuries and never getting a real shot…

Posted by mrfluffy from A wide spot on I-90 in Montana on 05/07/13 at 10:20 PM ET

OlderThanChelios's avatar

до свидания, Jan. Best of luck in the KHL. Loved your speed and your enthusiasm. I hope you make enough off the Russians to guarantee you’ll be comfortable for the rest of your life.

Posted by OlderThanChelios from Grand Rapids, MI on 05/07/13 at 10:37 PM ET

Figaro's avatar

Good luck, kid.

Posted by Figaro from Los Alamos, NM on 05/07/13 at 10:58 PM ET

Who knows, maybe he’ll bloom and be back in 2 years.  I’m glad for him as with the amount of talent detroit has in the wings (double-entendre!) I didn’t see him ever consistently making the lineup if he was beaten out by Emmerton.

Posted by neffernin on 05/07/13 at 11:02 PM ET

Who knows, maybe he’ll bloom and be back in 2 years.

Posted by neffernin on 05/08/13 at 12:02 AM ET

Not sure if the rule about re-entry waivers was carried over from the old CBA.  If he becomes an effective player in Europe while remaining healthy, EVERYONE’s gonna know about it.

Posted by SYF from Alana Blanchard's Bikinis and Surfboards on 05/07/13 at 11:56 PM ET

Figaro's avatar

Yeah, he needs to be at least 34 for Kenny to consider re-signing him.

Posted by Figaro from Los Alamos, NM on 05/08/13 at 12:07 AM ET

Hippy Dave's avatar

Good luck, Jan.

Posted by Hippy Dave from Portland by way of Detroit on 05/08/13 at 12:41 AM ET

HockeytownOverhaul's avatar

Kindl was going down this road as well and look was he was able to do with a real shot.

Mursak proved what he’s capable of over-seas and he’s good, and fast and right handed, two things the Wings desperately need.  Wish he’d have got more of a shot while he was here, hope he blows it up wherever he goes.

Posted by HockeytownOverhaul on 05/08/13 at 12:42 AM ET

George Malik's avatar

Khabarovsk is directly north of Japan, just northeast of the Chinese border and northeast of North Korea.

They will have a “nearby” opponent in the new KHL team in Vladivostok, which lies about 470 miles south of Khabarovsk, but both cities are about 2,000 miles east of Sibir Novosibirsk and 2,300 miles east of Avangard Omsk, Jaromir Jagr’s team.

There is nowhere one can get “further” away from the NHL than Amur Khabarovsk, and KHL contracts go from May to May, so I’m guessing that they’re going to pay him very, very well.

Posted by George Malik from South Lyon, MI on 05/08/13 at 01:21 AM ET

Son of Flying Pig's avatar

Good for Jan.  Frustrating to watch him lose each of his rare opportunities to injuries.  Would have loved to see what he could have turned into with that speed and shot.

Posted by Son of Flying Pig on 05/08/13 at 07:35 AM ET

I think he would have gotten a decent chance. He just couldn’t stay healthy. I can’t say I blame the Wings got sending him down and I’m glad he’s moving on for another chance elsewhere.

Remember guys, when he was sent down, he could have been claimed. Nobody in the nhl picked him up. Wings aren’t the only ones who have basically passed on him.

Posted by teldar on 05/08/13 at 07:49 AM ET

detroitredwings's avatar

до свидания, Jan.

Posted by OlderThanChelios from Grand Rapids, MI on 05/07/13 at 11:37 PM ET

ни фига себе!:)

Posted by detroitredwings on 05/08/13 at 08:08 AM ET

MsRedWinger's avatar

All the best to Jan.  Just had bad luck with the injuries.

Posted by MsRedWinger from Flori-duh on 05/08/13 at 08:19 AM ET

Vladimir16's avatar

It’s a real bummer that he was so snake bit with the injuries. I think the Wings really could have used his speed and tenacity with Helm being out. Mind you it’s the AHL I’m talking about but when you watch this kid skate live he absolutely flies and he has some scoring touch. I wish him luck.

Posted by Vladimir16 from Grand River Valley on 05/08/13 at 08:30 AM ET

w2j2's avatar

Posted by HockeytownOverhaul on 05/08/13 at 01:42 AM ET

I agree.  I think Mursak has great spirit & potential, and largely due to injuries did not get much of a chance with the Wings.

I wish him well, and I hope that we can follow his career in the KHL.

Someday he might just come back to the NHL and kick the Wings’ @ss.

cool mad

Posted by w2j2 on 05/08/13 at 09:28 AM ET

Lenny's avatar

Well send a 1st rounder to get him back in a few years….

Posted by Lenny on 05/08/13 at 12:10 PM ET

Looked all over the Gore regarding the re-entry waiver rule in the new CBA.  Heh, they’re GONE.  There is NO MORE re-entry waiver rule.  So yeah, neffernin, you’re right to be optimistic that he can be back in a Wings sweater if he wants to and the Wings definitely will give him a regular spot.

Posted by SYF from Alana Blanchard's Bikinis and Surfboards on 05/08/13 at 12:28 PM ET

Primis's avatar

Over ripened and left on the shelf too long.

Posted by redxblack from Akron Ohio on 05/07/13 at 11:09 PM ET

Yup.  Kenny shot himself in the foot this time.  Mursak is a legit NHLer probably, he has the skating ability, which you can’t really develop.

Posted by SYF from the Flood on 05/08/13 at 01:28 PM ET

Remember when it was discovered Ryan O’Reilly would have had to clear waivers to go to CGY because he played overseas?  It’s obviously still there somewhere in the current CBA.

Posted by Primis on 05/08/13 at 01:39 PM ET

Perhaps, I’m searching wrong.  I used this page as a point (item #19).

Posted by SYF from Alana Blanchard's Bikinis and Surfboards on 05/08/13 at 01:52 PM ET

CaptainDennisPolonich's avatar

Posted by George Malik from South Lyon, MI on 05/08/13 at 02:21 AM ET

Detroit must have been too big-city, cosmopolitan for him. Who would go play there by choice? Some oligarch hold his baby sister for ransom to force him to sign that contract? The good news is he can see Sarah Palin’s house from there.

With Buckets and Flip gone after this season, it’s not like he wouldn’t have had a great chance to stick with the big club next year.

Posted by CaptainDennisPolonich from The Land of Fake Boobs and Real Nuts on 05/08/13 at 02:08 PM ET

That’s not re-entry waivers.

And anyways, what doe waivers matter, unless he tries to come back to the NHL in the middle of the season after playing overseas.

If he plays two years in the K and then decides, once his contract is done, to come back to the NHL he can sign with whomever he wants, he’s an unrestricted free agent.

Posted by Garth on 05/09/13 at 12:01 AM ET