The Malik Report

Jagr Watch update: Nobody frickin’ knows what’s going on

If we are to believe Blesk, as many as 12 teams have supposedly jumped into the Jaromir Jagr sweepstakes, with the Wings supposedly believed to be the favorite, but ESPN’s Scott Burnside provides us with a bottom line, and it’s simple—as TSN’s Bob McKenzie has suggested on Twitter, Jagr’s being Jagr and his agent’s drawing this situation out to ridiculous levels, having informed neither the Red Wings nor the Penguins as to his client’s intentions:

The Pittsburgh Penguins, Detroit Red Wings and Montreal Canadiens continue to await word on if Jaromir Jagr will return to the NHL. As of 1 p.m. ET on Thursday, Pittsburgh general manager Ray Shero told ESPN.com’s Scott Burnside he had not heard from Jaromir Jagr’s agent, Petr Svoboda.

Likewise, Red Wings GM Ken Holland told Burnside he had not heard from Jagr or his agent as of early Thursday afternoon.

Sources had told the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review an agreement was in place with the Penguins as Jagr flew from the Czech Republic to the United States. Jagr also has a one-year offers from Detroit and Montreal, according to multiple media reports.

Filed in: | The Malik Report | Permalink

Comments

mrfluffy's avatar

To me this is easy; Holland and Shero should just tell Svoboda their offers expires 11:59:59 AM tomorrow.

Posted by mrfluffy from A wide spot on I-90 in Montana on 06/30/11 at 03:53 PM ET

I was thinking the same thing. Why don’t GM’s put sheli-lives on theses offers? That way it allows both parties to move on, and I can stop dreaming about those glorious Pantene Pro-V locks!

Posted by Jesters Dead on 06/30/11 at 03:58 PM ET

Posted by mrfluffy from Long Beach on 06/30/11 at 01:53 PM ET

They probably did. At least that’s what Shero has told each and every pending RFA and UFA since Hossa burned him (it took him something like 5 minutes after 12 to ink Michalek and Martin when Gonch wouldn’t drop a year 3 demand). Can’t imagine it’s not the same thing here, unless he gets pissed at the Svoboda/Jagr circus and pulls out early.

Posted by steviesteve on 06/30/11 at 04:00 PM ET

Jordan_NOHS's avatar

Now I’m hearing that Jagr can’t even announce who he picked until noon tomorrow. not sure if this is true, but if it is why would we just find out now

Posted by Jordan_NOHS from Detroit, MI on 06/30/11 at 04:01 PM ET

Jagr already has a deal with Detroit. Has for 2 weeks. Its just going to be announced as a signing tomorrow afternoon.

Posted by callmedrw on 06/30/11 at 04:03 PM ET

He can make a decision and announce it, he just can’t officially sign until noon Friday.

Posted by Garth on 06/30/11 at 04:19 PM ET

Jordan_NOHS's avatar

Thats what I thought

Posted by Jordan_NOHS from Detroit, MI on 06/30/11 at 04:21 PM ET

Lindas1st's avatar

Jagr’s being Jagr

tongue rolleye

Posted by Lindas1st from New England on 06/30/11 at 04:21 PM ET

awould's avatar

Jagr’s mentor is Ted Sarniak.

Posted by awould on 06/30/11 at 04:28 PM ET

Chet's avatar

Jagr’s mentor is Ted Sarniak.

i’d compare him to lebron james, but anyway…

Posted by Chet from twitter: thegansen on 06/30/11 at 04:38 PM ET

Chet's avatar

although jagr has won a cup. ooooh! try the veal!

Posted by Chet from twitter: thegansen on 06/30/11 at 04:38 PM ET

Down River Dan's avatar

Tomorrow Mr. Holland will shock the world, as he pulls off the unthinkable, and signs not 1 but 2 washed up drama queens: Jagr & Forsberg.

Posted by Down River Dan on 06/30/11 at 04:54 PM ET

11B4PF7 in MN's avatar

PANDA WATCH!

Posted by 11B4PF7 in MN on 06/30/11 at 04:57 PM ET

Alzy's avatar

This to me sounds like Jagr is trying to get Shero to up his offer. Shero has offered I believe 2 million, and Tick Tock has probably said he’ll go north of 3. I think it’s become he wants to play in Pittsburgh, but he wants to be paid what the Wings are offering.

I’m beyond tired of this bullshite, jusr go sign with PIT already.

Posted by Alzy from Cambridge, Ontario, Canada on 06/30/11 at 05:03 PM ET

AndrewFromAnnArbor's avatar

Does anybody even know where The Mulleted Waffle even is?  All this agonizing seems pointless if his agent has still temporarily misplaced him.  And at this point, I’d take a lost set of keys over Jagr anyway.  I’m pretty sure the lost keys would be more decisive anyway.

And I said it previously, but it bears repeating: At this point, I’m not ready to rule out the possibility that he in fact has no intention of returning to the NHL at all, and this whole thing has been the desperate ploy of an attention whore who feels the spotlight’s been off him for too long.

BTW, George, remembered something I meant to say earlier:

Aubry’s only 19, so I’m surprised to hear that the Wings plan on bringing him to Grand Rapids!

From everything you’ve said, it sounds like Aubry has the professional attitude, drive, and understanding already, from commitment to improvement, learning from his coaches and teammates, attention to detail and the realization that continued strength, skill, and hard work are key.  His defensive game is already reasonably well-polished, so he won’t be a liability (and he’ll need little work to have a good NHL-level defensive game), his body is pro-sized if lacking in strength yet (and you know he’ll work on that), and the pros are as good a place as any to develop whatever offensive touch he’ll have—besides, it’s not like he’s expected to be a big-time scorer.  So this may be a case of “Why not?”  If he hasn’t got anything further to learn or prove at junior level that’ll add to his projected role in the NHL, it’s pointless to leave him there.

Posted by AndrewFromAnnArbor from Fortress Europe on 06/30/11 at 05:05 PM ET

George Malik's avatar

Aubry’s a wonderful kid. Just surprised.

Posted by George Malik from South Lyon, MI on 06/30/11 at 05:06 PM ET

This whole situation is just hilarious, though I wish we could all just know right now exactly what the decision is going to be. I guess we’ll all just have to wait, though…

Oh, and if you happen to need/want a hockey goal or replacement net for a hockey goal, I’ve got a website where I sell them. I also sell other sports equipment for several different sports ranging from baseball to lacrosse. Check it out at bighitbattingcages.com.

Posted by Tom on 06/30/11 at 05:37 PM ET

cementslinger's avatar

Where’s Jagr? ‘pretty simple really.  Airlines lose luggage all the time.

Posted by cementslinger from Midland MI on 06/30/11 at 05:40 PM ET

WestWing's avatar

Where’s Jagr? ‘pretty simple really.  Airlines lose luggage all the time.

Posted by cementslinger from Midland MI on 06/30/11 at 03:40 PM ET

Luggage that comes with baggage.

Posted by WestWing from Portland, Oregon on 06/30/11 at 05:45 PM ET

North of 3 million? Really?

I’ve never been one to think Holland was being horribly stupid, even when I disagreed with him. (I.E. Modano last year.) I’ve even put voodoo hexes on people who would say such ridiculous things. (mlive anyone?)

BUT….

a.) Jagr at any price is a bad idea. Not because of Modano either.

b.) Jagr at anything over 1 or 1.5 is just asinine.

I’d take Drapes over Jagr at this point. Draper is a stand up guy, has high hockey ethics and isn’t a DIVA.

Jagr might have a higher skill set, but the best skills in the world aren’t worth too much when you have no team mentality and an inability to realize there is a world outside of yourself.

Beyond that, I’m more confident in Pasha and Z’s skill sets than I am Jagr. Sure it’d be nice to have another finesse player since Val hasn’t stepped up for that role yet, but Jagr isn’t the answer.

For a minute I convinced myself that it could work, and set myself up for the disappointment of him signing with the Pens. Now I think I’ll lose my shit if I see him in Motown.

I know the cap was raised and its only a one year deal, but I’d feel much better padding the paychecks of our role players, Eaves and Miller. They have good team mentalities and have better views of the ice. (Since their heads aren’t up their ass’.)

Posted by LGRWeh on 06/30/11 at 06:37 PM ET

monkey's avatar

Ted Sarniak

Is he related to Stan Stasiak?

Posted by monkey from Finland on 06/30/11 at 07:08 PM ET

awould's avatar

Ted Sarniak

Is he related to Stan Stasiak?

Posted by monkey from bat country on 06/30/11 at 05:08 PM ET

No, they spell and pronounce their names completely differently.

Posted by awould on 06/30/11 at 07:13 PM ET

monkey's avatar

No, they spell and pronounce their names completely differently.

I didn’t ask for a spell check, I asked if they’re related.

Posted by monkey from Finland on 06/30/11 at 07:18 PM ET