The Malik Report

‘Jagr Watch’ goes from silly to stupid as Svoboda opens his client’s options

So Petr Svoboda, Jaromir Jagr’s agent, has essentially held the Red Wings and Penguins in suspense while, in the words of a probation officer who raised me, [blanking] around with their time, and what does he say on the eve of free agency, to ESPN’s Scott Burnside?

More teams are in the running now, and there are no guarantees that Jagr will decide whether to join them by Friday, which is essentially a drop-dead date for Detroit and is, to a lesser extent, a hard deadline for PIttsburgh:

“There’s a lot more teams now we’re talking to,” Svoboda told ESPN.com Thursday evening.

As for getting a deal done somewhere by the time the free agency period opens at noon EST Friday, that plan appears to have gone by the boards as well. Jagr, 39, will make a decision “in the next few days,” Svoboda said.

“I’m not going to put a time frame on it,” he added. “Basically we have nothing new and I can’t tell you anything,” the agent said.

This will come as disappointing news to the Penguins who have been told by Svoboda that Jagr is definitely interested in returning to Pittsburgh where he won two Stanley Cups in the early 1990s.
...
The Red Wings remain interested too although they had no new information to report Thursday evening about whether they were still being considered by Jagr.

Unreal. Svoboda claims that Jagr’s in New York and he’s in Montreal, too, but who the hell knows anymore.

Update: Equally silly, per the Free Press’s Helene St. James, the Canadiens are apparently back in the mix:

The Detroit Red Wings remained in a holding pattern with Jaromir Jagr tonight, still awaiting word on his future.

The former hockey superstar wants to return to the NHL after three seasons in Russia’s Kontinental Hockey League, but the offers he has received from the Wings and the Pittsburgh Penguins aren’t what he could make if he stayed in Russia.

His agent, Petr Svoboda, told the Free Press today that he was still negotiating with both teams, as well as Montreal.

Svoboda said something would have to go wrong for Jagr to head back to the KHL.

Filed in: | The Malik Report | Permalink

Comments

I only hope the reason Ken Holland hasn’t yanked the offer off the table after this “buffonery” (thanks, Taushan)  is that he’s taking the high road and assuming that Jagr ain’t taking the Wings’ offer.

Posted by Bugsy on 06/30/11 at 11:36 PM ET

Puppies and Hookers's avatar

86 on 68 deal…

Posted by Puppies and Hookers from La la land on 06/30/11 at 11:40 PM ET

Sunday's avatar

Jeezum crow.  NOBODY is worth all this geshrei.  Roll back the offer, Kenny!

Posted by Sunday from somewhere else on 06/30/11 at 11:54 PM ET

mrfluffy's avatar

I hope Kronner or Orprick nails this sumbitch.

Posted by mrfluffy from A wide spot on I-90 in Montana on 06/30/11 at 11:58 PM ET

Randy from Butler PA's avatar

I say to Ray Shero “nothing to see here, move along please”. Please move on to the UFAs and fill the roster from there. Jagr has had enough time to decide

Posted by Randy from Butler PA on 07/01/11 at 12:13 AM ET

The shenanigans Jagr’s been pulling are, unfortunately, completely in character. However, the fact that Svoboda says one thing one minute and another the next has made me lose a lot of respect for how he does business. I was unaware that he was that sort of a person.

Posted by Iggy Rules on 07/01/11 at 12:45 AM ET

Let this go Wings- we don’t need him or his salary cap hit. Kenny, snap out of it! You should be thinking about offer sheets for Weber or Doughty, and Vokoun (jovanovski or white even) We have real holes to fill, not games to play this year and no one in Detroit likes Jagr anyway ...

Posted by Juice from LA on 07/01/11 at 01:09 AM ET

Run.Away.

Now I seriously do not want the guy on the Wings.

Posted by SYF from the team that re-signed KFQ and DFC by KFH on 07/01/11 at 02:05 AM ET

John's avatar

Jagr has successfully united Wings and Pens fans, what an accomplishment!

Pass on this joker..  $50 bucks says he ends up with a team that needs to add salary to get over the cap.

Posted by John from Pittsburgh, PA (Wings fan for life!) on 07/01/11 at 02:07 AM ET

HockeytownOverhaul's avatar

Didn’t specify NHL teams did he? Maybe KHL is ready to give him money to stay

Posted by HockeytownOverhaul on 07/01/11 at 03:36 AM ET

I was told Jagr has already told Lemieux that he’s going to sign with Pittsburgh and that the Penguins have a huge front page for their Web site ready to go live at Noon tomorrow with a big “welcome home” theme.

Why the delay then?

From what I was told Jagr’s agent Petr Svoboda may have been trying to lure another team into offering Jagr a bit more money so he can put a PR spin like “I turned down more money to come back to Pittsburgh.”

If this is true and all this indecision was a PR stunt, Svoboda is an imbecile who deserved to be woken up by a bunch of yahoos pretending to work for the Post-Gazette.

Posted by steviesteve on 07/01/11 at 04:16 AM ET