The Malik Report

I’ve got some good news and some bad news about Henrik Zetterberg…He’s done for the Olympics

Updated 4x at 1:55 AM: Well, a few minutes ago, the news broke that Henrik Zetterberg would not be playing in today's game against Switzerland (7:30 AM, NBCSN/TSN), and now...Well, this is good news for Red Wings fans and bad news for Sweden. I think, per Aftonbladet's Hans Abrahamsson:

Raw translation: "Zetterberg has finished playing in the Olympics. Management confirms it now. [Coach Par] Mårts, [Swedish Ice Hockey Federation president Tommy] Boustedt and [team physician Bjorn] Waldebäck press conference now. Which setback."

At least he can rest until the Wings resume play on February 26th? Hopefully?

Quickie update: Aftonbladet is also reporting that Zetterberg will return to Detroit...

Update #2: Expressen's Mattias Ek reports that Niklas Kronwall will wear the "C" for Sweden and Daniel Alfredsson will don an "A":

Raw translation:

Henrik Zetterberg misses then the rest of the Olympics. The squad is informed in a moment. Niklas Kronwall new team captain. Daniel Alfredsson gets assistant.

Update #3: You can take this for what you will:

@ BjurmanPer've talked with Zetterberg: "He can barely move"

It sounds like he's already flown home, too (in January, Zetterberg told Expressen that he thinks he and Emma will probably stay in Detroit after he's done playing hockey):

Update #4: *cringes*

Henrik Zetterberg's NHL season may also be in danger. "If this situation persists, it is so," says Dr. Björn Waldebäck.

Filed in: | The Malik Report | Permalink

Comments

Hippy Dave's avatar

As always, great digging, George.

Posted by Hippy Dave from Portland by way of Detroit on 02/14/14 at 03:26 AM ET

Hippy Dave's avatar

... oh, and happy to see Nik Kronwall get the captaincy.  I always thought he was captain material.

Posted by Hippy Dave from Portland by way of Detroit on 02/14/14 at 03:28 AM ET

babymachine's avatar

Feel terrible for Hank. He looked great out there.

I really hope this heals up quick. That ‘barely move’ comment freaked me the f out.

Posted by babymachine from Portland, Oregon by way of Macomb, Michigan on 02/14/14 at 03:29 AM ET

Alan's avatar

Maybe now he can get some rest. Thank you for finding an official source, George

Posted by Alan from Atlanta on 02/14/14 at 03:33 AM ET

Chet's avatar

there goes a ppg plus per game. sweden dealt a major blow.

let’s hope he decides on another cup this spring.

Posted by Chet from twitter: thegansen on 02/14/14 at 04:10 AM ET

Chet's avatar

wait spoke too soon. let’s hope he plays this spring. has to suck for the guy, I’m an American in LA and I’m upset for him…

Posted by Chet from twitter: thegansen on 02/14/14 at 04:13 AM ET

Joe Z.'s avatar

aaaaaaaaaargh! No Pavel vs. Henrik in the gold game. Dammit. Would have loved it to see them both challenging and pushing each other to new heights in a game.

Somehow the injury is bad news all the way. A reoccurring herniated disc in such a short period is never good news.

Posted by Joe Z. from Austria on 02/14/14 at 05:26 AM ET

I now officially have nothing left to life for. Nothing.

(except caffeine)

Seriously*, if Canada wins now, I’m never going to watch hockey ever again*.

*not seriously

Posted by Mr. Fnytelhatt on 02/14/14 at 05:54 AM ET

hdw's avatar

Was actually expecting them to just slap the C on Ye Olde Alfie be done with it.

But it’s logical since Kronner was the only remaining of the original letter men (Landeskog is wearing Henrik Sedin’s A).

And while I’m miffed as a Swede of losing Z, I’m equally happy as Wings fan that they didn’t twiddle around with it, bit the bullet and sent him home for some well needed R’n'R.

Posted by hdw on 02/14/14 at 07:20 AM ET

He needs to find himself a good Neuro surgeon who does minimally invasive surgery and get himself a micro discectomy. Simple herniated discs are the thing people get better from surgery quickly, unlike fusions. If it’s a fusion issue, that’s another story.

Posted by teldar on 02/14/14 at 07:28 AM ET