The Malik Report

It’s A Live Blog From The Windy City

Bulls/Pistons
White Sox/Tigers
Bears/Lions
Blackhawks/Wings

The rivalry continues tonight. who will be crowned king of the pre-season?

Watch the game to find out- VERSUS 8:30pm ET.

Paul for George.

Filed in: | The Malik Report | Permalink

Comments

« Previous        < 1 2

mrfluffy's avatar

Well this season’s games versus the Hawks will get more interesting.

Smith…well…I wouldn’t say that’s necessarily intentional…but Shanahan will definitely be chatting with him in the morning. Yikes.

Posted by mrfluffy from A wide spot on I-90 in Montana on 09/29/11 at 12:30 AM ET

bezukov's avatar

Intentional or not, Smith has to be more careful than that.

Posted by bezukov from the kids are alright. on 09/29/11 at 12:31 AM ET

Forlorn in VA's avatar

I don’t think it was intentional…but that doesn’t really matter.  Bad hit.  Shanny is definitely going to have a shat with him.

Posted by Forlorn in VA on 09/29/11 at 12:32 AM ET

stonehands-78's avatar

remember,

... there’s a new sherrif in town.

High noon in the town square, people.

Posted by stonehands-78 from the beginning ... a WingsFan, on 09/29/11 at 12:33 AM ET

Forlorn in VA's avatar

I forgot to add:  That hit solidifies my opinion that Brendan Smith is not ready for prime time.

Posted by Forlorn in VA on 09/29/11 at 12:34 AM ET

Sal's avatar

Intentional or not, Smith has to be more careful than that.

Which one?  The Smith that misjudged his check and got noggin or the one who moved to avoid the check and stuck his noggin out there?

Posted by Sal from the shadow of the Great Smoky Mountains on 09/29/11 at 12:34 AM ET

hiero4life's avatar

The follow through will get him.  I’m ok with whatever is handed down.

Posted by hiero4life from anywhere i am on 09/29/11 at 12:35 AM ET

bezukov's avatar

Well the Wings gave this game away…

Posted by bezukov from the kids are alright. on 09/29/11 at 12:37 AM ET

The Hurricane's avatar

Ummmm…embellish much Toews?
Let’s Go Griffin Wings…

LGGW

Posted by The Hurricane on 09/29/11 at 12:37 AM ET

Down River Dan's avatar

Sorry to see the hawk player injured, and obvoiusly he got a shoulder to the head. Not sure what the wing’s smith is supposed to do there. If Brenden Smith stays low and upends the hawk player with a old fashioned hip check , he gets a penalty for tripping or interference. So what do you do in that case?

Please NHL, outlaw football shoulder pads NOW!!!

Posted by Down River Dan on 09/29/11 at 12:38 AM ET

stonehands-78's avatar

that was a set play.

book it.

Posted by stonehands-78 from the beginning ... a WingsFan, on 09/29/11 at 12:38 AM ET

SnLO's avatar

Well the Griffins gave this game away…

Fixed

Posted by SnLO from beyond the M-1 on 09/29/11 at 12:38 AM ET

hiero4life's avatar

I swear I wanna shoot someone anytime I hear that song. I hate little brother

Posted by hiero4life from anywhere i am on 09/29/11 at 12:39 AM ET

bezukov's avatar

Intentional or not, Smith has to be more careful than that.

Posted by Sal from the shadow of the Great Smoky Mountains on 09/28/11 at 10:34 PM ET

I’m with you Sal, but as the rules say, the onus is on Smith to avoid the hit.  A body to body check would have gotten the job done and the game would probably still be tied…  lame.

Posted by bezukov from the kids are alright. on 09/29/11 at 12:42 AM ET

So what do you do in that case?

I’d say you take the minor penalty and avoid giving the other guy possible brain damage…

Posted by Garth on 09/29/11 at 12:43 AM ET

mrfluffy's avatar

Tatar with a Murphy sky-hook.

Posted by mrfluffy from A wide spot on I-90 in Montana on 09/29/11 at 12:48 AM ET

Paul's avatar

Bob McKenzie on the Smith hit,

Brendan Smith is lining up Ben Smith for hit, as he should in that situation. Commits to hit, Ben Smith drags to inside at last second. BOOM

Posted by Paul from Motown Area on 09/29/11 at 12:49 AM ET

Paul's avatar

More from Bob.

Result is head shot. Intentional? Does it matter? What was Brendan Smith supposed to do? Honestly, I don’t know. Over to @NHLShanahan.

Posted by Paul from Motown Area on 09/29/11 at 12:51 AM ET

mrfluffy's avatar

Ericsson is just pissing me off.

Posted by mrfluffy from A wide spot on I-90 in Montana on 09/29/11 at 12:52 AM ET

bezukov's avatar

Posted by Paul from Motown Area on 09/28/11 at 10:51 PM ET

Thanks for the post Paul.  This preseason has had me wondering if a new style of diving is going to arise in the NHL, or if players are going to posture themselves so that you can’t legally hit them…

The way its going there isn’t going to be anyway to play defense in this league any more.

Posted by bezukov from the kids are alright. on 09/29/11 at 12:56 AM ET

The Hurricane's avatar

I’m ok with that loss. Crawford looked weak…Conklin looked strong….
Emmerton and Nyquist were outstanding. Conner showing progress.
Feel bad about both Smiths. I think it was accidental, I think Brendan lined up to hit shoulder to shoulder and missed. I’ll guess a 5 game suspension.

Hope Ben Smith is ok, tho. Kid is quite talented.

Posted by The Hurricane on 09/29/11 at 12:59 AM ET

The Hurricane's avatar

...and am I the only one that thinks Brunnstrom is a given at this point?

Posted by The Hurricane on 09/29/11 at 01:02 AM ET

Gary A$$ SUCK !!'s avatar

Fabian Brunnstrom will be a perfect fit in the Redwings system..I would love to se Nyqvist play a couples of games with the big boys..LGRW !!!

Posted by Gary A$$ SUCK !! from Fort Myers, Florida on 09/29/11 at 01:10 AM ET

MsRedWingFan's avatar

FAWK VS’s TV ...  I live in Muskegon which 50 miles north of Grand Rapids and is no where near Chitcago or Detroit and the game wasn’t televised here .... message kept scrolling saying that “VS wasn’t allowed to show in my local market” ??? WTRH????????????????  thank you once again Bettman for ruining the game for us Red Wing fans

Posted by MsRedWingFan from West Michigan hometown of Abdelkader on 09/29/11 at 01:24 AM ET

HockeytownOverhaul's avatar

Nyquist looked great.. especially dangling with 4 hawks on him… Brunnstrom looked great defensively and Emmerton had a solid game.. he plays with his body a lot too which is nice to see.. im excited about our crop.. once they stop committing penalties they’ll be really good

Posted by HockeytownOverhaul on 09/29/11 at 02:47 AM ET

mrfluffy's avatar

Whether it was a stupid play, an inexperienced play, or whatever, I just hope this doesn’t turn Smith into a former shadow of himself (like Bertuzzi used to be).

Posted by mrfluffy from A wide spot on I-90 in Montana on 09/29/11 at 03:09 AM ET

MsRedWinger's avatar

George, good to “see” you in here.  Hope you’re doing better and will be back soon.

I totally agree with your assessment of Big E and also your comments about the Red Wings’ system paying off against the Hawks.  I thought it was wonderful that our “kids” did so well against their top guys.  Babcock was quoted as saying:  “I saw the line up they dressed.  I didn’t know it was Opening Night.”

I would love to see Brunnstrom signed - he was great.  Also loved getting to see Emmerton, Nyquist, Tatar - sure wish they could all be on the team.  And Connor is fast and tenacious too.

Brendan Smith will be suspended.  I know there’s debate going on about intent and whether (the Hawks’) Smith was toe-dragging, I really think Brendan could have avoided that hit.  And while the Wings are saying it wasn’t intentional, looking at the replays I can see how people might think it was.

Oh yes, and Ty Conklin was terrific, especially given the D in front of him.

Posted by MsRedWinger from Flori-duh on 09/29/11 at 11:46 AM ET

RedMenace's avatar

Anyone know what happened to Commodore?  It looked like he tweaked something when he took that holding penalty… didn’t return to the game after.

Posted by RedMenace from the Church of Jesus Lashoff on 09/29/11 at 12:40 PM ET

mrfluffy's avatar

Oh yes, and Ty Conklin was terrific, especially given the D in front of him.

He was merely ok. That puck off the glass that Ben Smith scored on? That’s all him.

Posted by mrfluffy from A wide spot on I-90 in Montana on 09/29/11 at 01:10 PM ET

Nathan's avatar

So… I live in Plymouth, roughly 30 miles from the Joe… why the hell was Versus showing a shitty movie instead of the game?

Posted by Nathan from the scoresheet! on 09/29/11 at 01:26 PM ET

MsRedWinger's avatar

Oh yes, and Ty Conklin was terrific, especially given the D in front of him.

Posted by MsRedWinger from Florida, wishin’ I was back in the Mitten on 09/29/11 at 09:46 AM ET

Yes, mrfluffy - I should have said:  “Ty Conklin made some terrific stops.”  Like this one:

He also stoned Kane.  I really thought he looked great - granted, not perfect.

Posted by MsRedWinger from Flori-duh on 09/29/11 at 01:33 PM ET

Which one The Smith that misjudged his check and got noggin or the one who guess..

Posted by buystole from New Delhi on 09/29/11 at 02:00 PM ET

Red Winger's avatar

...and am I the only one that thinks Brunnstrom is a given at this point?

Posted by The Hurricane on 09/28/11 at 11:02 PM ET

Nope. I told all my co-workers today Brunnstrom is a lock. Not that most of the baseball fanatics cared.

Posted by Red Winger from Sault Ste Marie on 09/29/11 at 06:24 PM ET

Primis's avatar

I spent the entire game laughing that the Hawks.  Really… they were icing their opening night lineup against basically an AHL team… and getting their butts kicked until the Smith major (which totally saved them).

Brunnstrom was good.  Emmerton was great.  Nyquist fits in well also.

Ericsson remains a complete disaster.  I caught two blatant giveaways by him last night still.

Thanks to Olczyk, I learned that Justin Abdelkader is the same type of speedster as Darren Helm (wait…. WTF!  W… T… F…. preseason and Olczyk is already breaking my head with wrongness).

But really, last night was a reality check as to how deep the Wings really are.

Posted by Primis on 09/29/11 at 08:10 PM ET

WestWing's avatar

Yeah I caught that one too.  Dude needs to lay off the glue.  In a week-night beer league, Abby would be considered a balls out speedster.  In the NHL not really.  Somehow Edzo continues to draw a paycheck for this kind of clueless, ass-scratching analysis.

Meanwhile, Brunnstrom is a keeper.  Never mind the goals.  I’ve been impressed to see that this guy actually plays both ends of the ice.  He’s been damn hard on the back-check, which always speaks volumes about where a guy’s head is at.  Good size, above average skater, nice offensive skill set and he’s playing both ends.  I say we keep him.

Posted by WestWing from Portland, Oregon on 09/30/11 at 02:28 AM ET