The Malik Report

It’s Tomas Tatar vs. Gustav Nyquist in TSN’s Play of the Year Final

TSN's Play of the Year Final is here, and it's a Red Wings player vs. Red Wings player battle for the second consecutive year, though it's not Datsyuk-vs-Datsyuk this time around.

This time, Tomas Tatar's deke-dangle-and-evade goal against the Dallas Stars...

Faces off against Gustav Nyquist's second-effort breakaway goal against the Tampa Bay Lightning.

You can vote for your favorite play here (and MLive's Brendan Savage penned a write-up regarding the contest).

Update: Finally, TSN weighs in (via RedWingsFeed):

Last year, two plays by Pavel Datsyuk squared off for the title. This year, it's Tomas Tatar against teammate Gustav Nyquist.

Tatar made the final on a play where he eliminated his defenders by running them clean into one another.

Streaking over the blue line, Tatar feels a pair of Dallas defenders closing in on him. As Brenden Dillon moves in for the big hit, Tatar hesitates and the Stars d-man catches teammate Cameron Gaunce square on, sending both players flying. Tatar resumes his drive and finishes with a nifty backhand shovel that goes off Kari Lehtonen and in.

Nyquist breaks in one-on-one against Matt Carle and the Lightning defender appears initially to do enough to prevent a goal, drawing a penalty in the process. However, Nyquist shakes Carle's grip and pounces on the puck he just lost. From behind the goal line, he still has the presence of mind to corral the puck and toss it under a recovering Ben Bishop.

Filed in: | The Malik Report | Permalink

Comments

I think Ken Daniels an his exquisite play calling help our guys win these. Great plays though, and Ken is the man!

Posted by StayClassy on 06/06/14 at 12:37 PM ET

Paul's avatar

I vote for a tie.

Posted by Paul from Motown Area on 06/06/14 at 12:41 PM ET

Primis's avatar

I genuinely don’t know which one to vote for.  Both are pretty ridiculous.

Posted by Primis on 06/06/14 at 12:45 PM ET

cowboycoffee's avatar

Gus all the way

Posted by cowboycoffee from San Francisco, CA on 06/06/14 at 12:55 PM ET

Tracy from T-Town Hockey 's avatar

It’s a toughy but I’d have to say Gus.  He did something you don’t really see done in the NHL.

Posted by Tracy from T-Town Hockey on 06/06/14 at 01:14 PM ET

Both are equally ridiculous.  Gonna go with…

Posted by SYF from the team that re-signed KFQ and DFC by KFH on 06/06/14 at 01:16 PM ET

RWBill's avatar

Vote for both.  You don’t have to choose!

OBTW so far Tatar’s move is crushing Nyquist’s by 94,000 to 15,500 !

Posted by RWBill from cruising Brush Street with creepy Rob Lowe. on 06/06/14 at 03:12 PM ET

aerodude's avatar

Weren’t we supposed to trade these two and a pick for Edler?

Posted by aerodude on 06/06/14 at 03:54 PM ET

perfection's avatar

this is great. I don’t really know who should win either (I lean towards Tats though… I know how rediculus Gus’ goal is, but watching those guys collide and fall like bowling pins just makes me slightly warmer inside). But it is quite symbolic to see this contest go from Dats v Dats to Tats v Gus. Kinda says it all about this past season.

Posted by perfection from LaLaLand on 06/06/14 at 05:23 PM ET