The Malik Report

It Appears Alfredsson Will Keep #11

Filed in: | The Malik Report | Permalink

Comments

Figaro's avatar

Yeah, I think some of us were wondering what would happen to the pallets full of #11 Alfie jerseys waiting to be sold.

Posted by Figaro from Los Alamos, NM on 09/14/13 at 12:13 PM ET

Hah, even the NHL’s marketing people don’t want Cleary in Detroit.

Posted by Garth on 09/14/13 at 12:20 PM ET

Figaro's avatar

Hah, even the NHL’s marketing people don’t want Cleary in Detroit.

Posted by Garth on 09/14/13 at 12:20 PM ET

LOL!

Posted by Figaro from Los Alamos, NM on 09/14/13 at 12:31 PM ET

Primis's avatar

See to me this sounds like there are doubts in DET that Cleary will remain for whatever reason and don’t want the marketing messed with.

Posted by Primis on 09/14/13 at 12:37 PM ET

I unfortunately don’t buy that for a second but I really, really, really hope and pray that you’re right.  I think it’s more likely that he ends up on a line with Datsyuk and Zetterberg than he ends up anywhere other than Detroit.

But seriously, I hope you’re right.

Posted by Garth on 09/14/13 at 01:01 PM ET

Red Winger's avatar

Posted by Primis on 09/14/13 at 12:37 PM ET

That would be plausible if the marketing angle weren’t in play here. But no doubt lots of Alfie 11 sweaters are in storage, ready to hit the marketplace in a few weeks,so that is probably the reason

Posted by Red Winger from Sault Ste Marie on 09/14/13 at 01:40 PM ET

DrewBehr's avatar

Posted by DrewBehr from The Mitten on 09/14/13 at 02:05 PM ET

journohoff's avatar

“Aww man, now I’ll have to buy the Cleary jersey with his new number on it,” said no Red Wings fan anywhere.- DrewBehr

Hey now! I own a #11 Cleart jersey! Though, I don’t think I’ll be buying his new sweater.

Posted by journohoff from Detroit, MI on 09/14/13 at 02:39 PM ET

“The marketing angle” should have no bearing on what players numbers are. I’m no Cleary fan, but that is just stupid.

Posted by xcheck28 on 09/14/13 at 04:09 PM ET

George Malik's avatar

It’s just weird equipment stuff. Guys decide what they want to wear, and in all honesty, the most telling tale was on the numbers on the helmets—Paul Boyer put a little #71 on the forehead part of Cleary’s helmet, the part that TV crews see, and right then and there, it started to look like Cleary’d been told, “Nope, we’ve got another #11.”

Posted by George Malik from South Lyon, MI on 09/14/13 at 04:25 PM ET

Red Winger's avatar

Posted by xcheck28 on 09/14/13 at 04:09 PM ET

“Marketing angle” as in the friggin’#11 jerseys are already made with Alfie’s name on them.

“Marketing angle” as in it would be pretty foolish to throw away thousands of # 11 jerseys already made with Alfie’s name on them.

Read much?

Posted by Red Winger from Sault Ste Marie on 09/14/13 at 06:39 PM ET

I’m no Cleary fan, but that is just stupid

Stupid was turning down Detroit’s initial offer.  If Cleary had re-signed before July 5th instead of stupidly and arrogantly assuming other teams would be throwing huge contracts at him, this wouldn’t be an issue.

He shouldn’t even be on the goddamn team so he’s probably just grateful they gave him a jersey at all.

Posted by Garth on 09/14/13 at 11:33 PM ET