The Malik Report

Is the Red Wings’ logo the 4th-best NHL emblem?

I've been waiting for this one...The Hockey News has been releasing its list of the top NHL logos in ascending order, and today, THN's Rory Boylen suggests that the Red Wings' logo is the 4th-best NHL emblem:

Coming in at No. 4 in our logo rankings is the Winged Wheel of Detroit, which has been a long-standing symbol in the NHL – and it has roots in Montreal. The Detroit NHL team hasn’t always been called the Red Wings. They were called the Falcons and the Cougars before James Norris purchased the team in 1932.

With the name Red Wings came a logo that has stood the test of time and represents a perfect fit with the Motor City. The crisp, clean, detailed, yet simple red and white look has only been modified a couple times in team history – and not since 1949.

Because longevity was not a factor in our rankings, we had to look at this logo again for the first time – and we still loved it. Never was there any chance of the Red Wings falling out of the top five. The only dissenting opinion we had was that it should have been higher than No. 4.

Think you can design a better logo than this Detroit beauty? Now’s your chance. Get those creative juices flowing and send your artwork to editorial@thehockeynews.com. At the conclusion of our logo rankings, we’ll share some of our favorite reader designs.

Boylen continues and discusses the evolution of the Winged Wheel...

Filed in: | The Malik Report | Permalink

Comments

Primis's avatar

There aren’t 3 better than it.  There might be one, maaaaaybe two.

Posted by Primis on 08/19/14 at 03:35 PM ET

RWBill's avatar

I like the Canadiens and Blackhawks emblems ( as soon as the Nazis trash the Redskins more they’ll start clamoring on the BlackHawks to drop theirs ), and the B’s emblem is distinct and the colors are bold.

The Rangers red, white, and blue piping is distinct but no noteworthy logo.  The Leafs’ is just lame.

Posted by RWBill from cruising Brush Street with Super Creepy Rob Lowe. on 08/19/14 at 04:01 PM ET

gowings's avatar

” as soon as the Nazis trash the Redskins more they’ll start clamoring on the BlackHawks to drop theirs”

I asked myself the same question. Here is the answer I found:

Posted by gowings from MTL on 08/19/14 at 04:35 PM ET

So the three left are St Louis, Chicago, and - wait for it - Arizona.  The Ducks came in at 9.  This is one weird ranking.

Posted by flowerdew on 08/19/14 at 04:58 PM ET

Forlorn in VA's avatar

I’m sure they’ll list Chicago as #1.  I really dislike the Blackhawks logo.  Not because it depicts a Native American, but because it’s too busy for my taste. Take it from 7 to 5 colors and ditch the face paint, and I might be convinced that it looks better than the Winged Wheel.

Posted by Forlorn in VA on 08/19/14 at 06:29 PM ET

bigfrog's avatar

As much as I despise the Slackhawks, I would rank their logo #1 with the Red Wings #2. Never thought I would say it.

Posted by bigfrog on 08/19/14 at 08:22 PM ET

Jaromir Blogger's avatar

The Coyotes ahead of the Wings? And Canadiens? And almost every other NHL team? Say it ain’t so!

I personally feel that the Wings and Habs logos are the two best in the NHL.

Posted by Jaromir Blogger on 08/19/14 at 11:04 PM ET

Well, I never thought I’d witness someone comparing Nazis with people who are against racism.

Posted by Garth on 08/20/14 at 09:29 AM ET

awould's avatar

Posted by Garth on 08/20/14 at 10:29 AM ET

Illinois Nazis. I hate Illinois Nazis.

A simple, imperfect primer>>>> Redskins:Blackhawks is N-word:(Shaka) Zulus

One is racist, the other intended to honor an actual person. Though, the Blackhawks were actually named after something else that was named in honor of the actual Black Hawk person.

Not that it matters how legit a name is, historically. I grew up in Ypsilanti, where the high school mascot was recently forced to change from the Braves to the Phoenix. Ypsi sits on the banks of the Huron River, which didn’t matter when the Eastern Michigan Hurons was forced to drop the mascot in favor of the Eagles. Sadly, it didn’t help their football team.

Posted by awould on 08/20/14 at 10:28 AM ET

SnLO's avatar

Eastern Michigan Hurons was forced to drop the mascot in favor of the Eagles

I always understood that the university volunteered the change the mascot to stay out the cross-hairs of the PC police despite the mascot use had the approval of the actual Huron tribe.

Posted by SnLO from beyond the M-1 on 08/20/14 at 10:46 AM ET

thethirdcoast's avatar

Sabres, Ducks, Panthers, and Wild are all way too high.

Oilers, Flames, and Leafs are all way too low.

Sens, Canucks, Jets, and Lighting are slightly low.

I’m shocked the Dive logo is almost in the basement.

Posted by thethirdcoast from Algiers, DZ on 08/20/14 at 11:13 AM ET

awould's avatar

Posted by SnLO from the sub great-white north on 08/20/14 at 11:46 AM ET

six or half-dozen, in my opinion, but I think you’re right, it was done ‘voluntarily’ to avoid the real pressure, and resulting bad PR.

Here’s a good one.. The Yuma High School Criminals