The Malik Report

Is Pierre McGuire ‘terrible?’ You bet, but he’s wonderfully terrible, and that’s the problem

This is coming from multiple sources on Twitter--a bunch of smart people in both the mainstream media and the blogosphere--but this quip from NBC Sports' executive producer Sam Flood, as noted by Sports Illustrated's Richard Deitsch, is more than a little bit surprising:

• Pierre McGuire's work has drawn very loud supporters and detractors, even though his position in the broadcast would suggest neutrality. Does NBC consider him a polarizing broadcaster? Said Flood: "I consider Pierre to be the gold standard, The position of being inside the glass was created because of Pierre. His skill set is uniquely suited to telling stories on air. His knowledge of the game and background of every player on the ice is incredible. He is a huge asset. He won an Emmy Award this year for obvious reasons. The sad thing about how society is today is there are a small group of people who shout loud and hide behind blogger names and fraudulent titles and attack people. They attack Cris Collinsworth. They attack Al Michaels. They attack Pierre McGuire. They attack Mike Milbury. They attack Keith Jones. They are a bunch of chickens who hide behind their Twitter names and attack people. Shame on them. If you want to say something, say it with your name behind it. But if you want to hide behind funny little names on the Internet, be my guest. But shame on you."

My name is George Malik, and I think that Pierre McGuire is indeed terrible...In no small part because he could be an absolutely fantastic broadcaster if he could dial back his enthusiasm 2 or 3% to not sound like someone who is committing the broadcast equivalent of USING ALL CAPITAL LETTERS ALL THE TIME ZOMG I'M MANICALLY EXCITED and if he could be a wee bit less chummy during the interviews with players and coaches where he comes off as downright cuddly and, as such, slightly creepy.

McGuire is obviously a brilliant man with a wide and deep breadth of knowledge about and passion for the game of hockey, he's an astute observer, one of THE pioneers of inside-the-glass reporting, and he's witty, he's bombastic, funny and has his pulse on the game...

But without TSN's Gord Miller to provide a "straight man's" foil and to know when to tug at McGuire to pull him back from the heights of his FANGIRL SQUEE excitement, McGuire ends up coming off as this spastic, eccentric-to-bat-shit-insane and plain old creepily nuzzly-snuggly weirdo.

I don't believe that that's who Pierre McGuire really is, but his incredibly energetic and observant nature bumps up against two equally incredibly strong personalities in Eddie Olczyk and Mike Emrick--and Emrick is his own broadcaster and color commentator in one thanks to his minor-league upbringing--so the resulting broadcasting mix feels like a combination of, "Screw what's happening on the ice, let's tell a compelling story about Bob-Fred McSkatesalot of the Poughkipsee Pioneers from 19-ought-eight" an incredibly annoying insistence that players and coaches may make mistakes, but that the officials can do no wrong, and this almost violent-at-times thrashing as the three dominant personalities attempt to tear the narrative from one another, building a crescendo of over-the-top excitement and observation that feels like a confluent clusterfuck of self-important pomposity.

Quite frankly, the fact that Emrick is the Devils' play-by-play man and a former Pittsburgh employee, and that Olczyk's the Blackhawks' TV color commentator often adds to fans' ire as they find the gents often calling games against the aforementioned teams' rivals, and rightly or wrongly, the perception of bias is applied to McGuire as well.

It's obviously not intentional, but I end up feeling like I'm listening to three grown men gush about how the game as if it were Twilight, and once things start building and building and building, there are no brakes on the runaway train (and the fact that NBC sends its audience to an equally bombastic and enthusiastic intermission crew in Keith Jones, Mike Milbury and Jeremy "J.R. is J.R." Roenick can feel like strapping a set of afterburning jet engines to the passionate-observation-turned-pompous-blathering train).

Even the "best in the business" can improve their "games," and a little more willingess by all three broadcasters to share the microphone and not let their enthusiasm take them to a viewer-defined, "Dude, that was just WEIRD" level of excitement would be far less off-putting and a more pleasant experience for fans and broadcasters alike.

It's easy to say that, "Pierre McGuire sucks," even using my own name. It's not as easy to offer some constructive criticism, nor is it easy to admit that McGuire is in fact both "terrible" and one of the best analysts in the NHL at the same time.

Filed in: | The Malik Report | Permalink

Comments

1 2 >       Next »

I consider Pierre to be the gold standard

Hah, that’s good.

Posted by Garth on 06/12/13 at 01:26 PM ET

Norskirama's avatar

I think Doc is no longer the New Jersey play-by-play guy as of the end of last season, as in the end of the one before this recent short one.  Also Pierre was once in the employ of the Penguins.

So I know Ken and Mickey are homers, but they really seem to call it like it is and point out good and bad things about each team.  What do others think about them?

Posted by Norskirama from Lincoln, Nebraska on 06/12/13 at 01:44 PM ET

George Malik's avatar

Ah yes, lest I forget, McGuire was indeed an assistant coach.

Posted by George Malik from South Lyon, MI on 06/12/13 at 01:46 PM ET

I don’t think there’s any denying that Pierre is very intelligent and knows the game. But so many things about him are just flat out annoying to the point where I’m so glad I get the CBC in high-def now.

Like when he ends every pre-game interview with “have fun out there today’ like he’s some kind of father figure to these players.

Or the cringe-worthy behind the bench coach interviews during TV timeouts.

Or when after the Pens beat the Wings in 2009, cameras caught shots of him embracing Mario Lemiuex (who he used to coach when he worked with Bowman in Pittsburgh, I believe) like it was HE who had just won the cup.

So much to dislike.

Posted by Fish on 06/12/13 at 01:49 PM ET

Forlorn in VA's avatar

Doc doesn’t bother me, and I’ve never felt like he’s biased towards any teams when he broadcasts nationally.  He doesn’t actually do play by play for any team or channel but NBC anymore, as far as I know he hasn’t since 2011.  Roenick and Olczyk definitely come across as biased towards their former teams to me.  The rest of the intermission crew is just as obnoxious as Roenick and Olczyk.

McGuire seems biased towards certain players, more than towards teams.  The thing that bothers me the most about him, other than his general creepiness, is the way he seeks affirmation and approval for every statement from whoever is broadcasting with him.  I get so tired of “doesn’t he, Eddie?”, “eh, Edzo?”,  and “don’t you think, Doc?”  He also leg-humps whichever team is currently winning a game, or series, which makes him seem incredibly wishy-washy.  His fangirling is annoying, and so is his voice, in my opinion.

I am highly amused by the former players who bash McGuire.  Just look at @commie22 on twitter, he has a special hashtag he uses for him.

Posted by Forlorn in VA on 06/12/13 at 01:52 PM ET

If if there’s any analyst out there who invades someone’s personal space during a broadcast, it’s Pierre!

Posted by rjman48 from Royal Oak on 06/12/13 at 01:54 PM ET

mrfluffy's avatar

Turco loves him some baldy.

Posted by mrfluffy from Long Beach on 06/12/13 at 01:57 PM ET

Ajax19's avatar

I used to hate on Pierre as well.  Then I heard some interviews with him and thought he seemed a decent fellow, so I started to give him a little more leeway.  It helps.  He seems ten times more pleasant than that sour bastard CBC sticks between the benches, Glenn Healy.  I like that Healy has opinions, but he just comes across as an *#$%@& pretty much anytime he’s speaking.

I think Doc Emmerick is fantastic.  Best play-by-play guy in NHL (including CBC).

Not a huge fan of Eddie “Time & Space/Active Sticks/Activated Defensemen” O.

I usually watch CBC - because I think they have better sound and video quality, though sometimes I switch back and forth.

CBC dominates between the periods.  I still enjoy “Coaches Corner”, probably because I grew up with it more than anything and I like the “Studio 42” crew, especially during the Hotstove segment.

Over the course of these playoffs I have also developed quite the crush on Andi Petrillo at the Chevrolet iDesk.  The NHL playoffs haven’t inspired a crush this strong since the 1997 playoffs when Belle Tire Girl first burst on to the scene.  (By the way, she’s still looking good after all these years!)

Posted by Ajax19 on 06/12/13 at 01:59 PM ET

Forlorn in VA's avatar

I forgot to add that McGuire cannot pronounce certain names correctly to save his life, and it drives me up the wall.

Posted by Forlorn in VA on 06/12/13 at 02:01 PM ET

Posted by Forlorn in VA on 06/12/13 at 02:01 PM ET

Oh, jeez…  Thanks for reminding me.

Posted by SYF from Zata's Epic Viking Beard on 06/12/13 at 02:08 PM ET

Figaro's avatar

As I’ve said before:
I love Doc.  Dump Subtle Interference and Hey Eddie.  There are so many excellent color guys not working for NBC’s “Varsity Team” it makes me sad.  Give me Bill Clement. Give me Drew Remenda. Give me Jimmy Fox.  Peter McNab does great work for Colorado.  And you can’t tell me that Daryl Reaugh trying to out-Thesaurus Doc Emeric (and failing miserably) wouldn’t be delightful TV!

As for a small, bald, white guy with a vast knowledge of the game and its history; who has a great relationship with the current players, coaches, team managements; who has played hockey professionally so is able to understand the flow of a game and its in-play nuances; who has years of experience behind the microphone and knows how to react properly to the excitement level on the ice in front of him; who has proven - when on National broadcasts - to be able to stay neutral and loyal to The Game; who has a positive working relationship with many of the League’s top Play-by-Play men; who is NOT hated by a large portion of North America’s hockey fan base….  He exists.  His name is Darren Pang.

Posted by Figaro from Los Alamos, NM on 06/12/13 at 02:10 PM ET

Primis's avatar

Here’s what I think about Pierre:

1.) By all accounts I’ve ever read he’s amazing to talk to off-camera.  He has lots of knowledge and genuinely loves hockey.  And he’s apparently a good human being.

2.) None of that translates well to on-camera and what he then does.

3.) Partnering him then on a broadcast with schmucks like Olczyk only makes him come off worse and further highlights the on-camera deficiencies.

Posted by Ajax19 on 06/12/13 at 01:59 PM ET

Some things… just… cannot be unread…

Posted by Primis on 06/12/13 at 02:10 PM ET

SnLO's avatar

by George Malik on 06/12/13 at 01:24 PM ET

I’m Sean Kelly and I endorse this message.

I would also like to add that if this guy truly believes what he said:

Said Flood:... The sad thing about how society is today is there are a small group of people who shout loud and hide…

then he is out of touch with his market and truly deluded.

Their (American sports media) approach to the broadcast package is so low-brain I keep expecting the re-introduction of the glow-puck in any given broadcast or start explaining the off-side rule. I’m smart enough and been watching sport for far too long to have these blow-hards talk down to me or talk as though I don’t know what I’m watching. I’m part of the majority on either or both counts too.

Stop with the big sell-job, I’m already watching. Every event and transaction taking place is not a growing succession of apexes and climaxes of world events following the previous one ten seconds ago. The game is only entertainment, not life and death; quit hiring the talking-heads that hype it up that way and I’ll quit complaining. Shame on you.

Posted by SnLO from the sub great-white north on 06/12/13 at 02:11 PM ET

davisrc19's avatar

Edzo also has Pittsburgh ties. His record as head coach went a long way in the Pens being able to draft Malkin, Crosby, Letang and Staal (also Tim Crowder who was one of Abdelkader’s line mates at MSU). His announcing ties with Chicago and Pittsburgh, coupled with him playing on Norris Division teams at his prime sets him up to be Wings fans worst nightmare during national broadcasts.

I’m right there with you on Pierre.

Posted by davisrc19 on 06/12/13 at 02:13 PM ET

Wings_in_NYC's avatar

Gold standard…..of used toilet paper.

Posted by Wings_in_NYC on 06/12/13 at 02:14 PM ET

awould's avatar

Bob-Fred McSkatesalot of the Poughkipsee Pioneers from 19-ought-eight
That’s funny.

^^^^^^
This is ridiculous. “Right Edzo, right Edzo! Please tell me I’m pretty Edzo!” So annoying.

Doc is terrible. Here’s my impression of his typical intro to the game:

He turns 28 next October. He wears number 42. They won their last game 4 to 2. They’ll need 2 more wins to close the series but tonight they just hope to score 1 more goal than the other team!

He uses numbers to tell a story that makes no sense and has no point! How clever!

Posted by awould on 06/12/13 at 02:19 PM ET

WingsFanInBeanLand's avatar

He is a huge asshat.

Fixed that for ya Sam Flood.

Dave Strader and Brian Engblom are a 100% improvement over NBC’s “A-list” crew.

Posted by WingsFanInBeanLand from Where the GM likes his team. on 06/12/13 at 02:19 PM ET

Dave Strader and Brian Engblom are a 100% improvement over NBC’s “A-list” crew.

Posted by WingsFanInBeanLand from Where free agents no longer want to go. on 06/12/13 at 02:19 PM ET

Agree.  Even if Engblom has a motormouth that tends to make one believe that he’s paid by the word, his technical insights are well worth the broadcast.  Same thing with Fox Sports LA Kings’ analyst, Jim Fox.  Sometimes, I just watch Kings’ broadcast so I can learn some new things from “Foxy,” as co-host Bob Miller calls him.  They got a helluvan NHL broadcasting team in Fox Sports LA.

Posted by SYF from Zata's Epic Viking Beard on 06/12/13 at 02:25 PM ET

As someone who only hears Pierre these days on his radio segments (which are tremendous, btw) and hardly ever on TV anymore since he jumped to NBC full-time, I can say I am a much bigger Pierre fan now than I was years ago. I agree he’s horrendous on NBC, but on that broadcast, Pierre would be about reason #37 as why their broadcasts stink.

Posted by Chris M on 06/12/13 at 02:27 PM ET

I may be the only one who believes Pierre McGuire should be considered for one of the currently open (head) coaching jobs.

Posted by howiehockey on 06/12/13 at 02:29 PM ET

awould's avatar

I like Dave Strader and Darren Pang. They used to call the Coyotes games. Now Tyson Nash does and he is one of the worst announcers I’ve ever heard.

I agree that McGuire is better on the radio. I once caught the middle of a discussion on NHL on XM and wasn’t sure who was speaking but was impressed w/ what he was saying. I was shocked when it turned out to be McGuire. And then I felt shame for liking him. i haven’t quite recovered.

Posted by awould on 06/12/13 at 02:31 PM ET

awould's avatar

Posted by howiehockey on 06/12/13 at 02:29 PM ET

I’d be ok w/ any job that got him off my tv.

Posted by awould on 06/12/13 at 02:32 PM ET

EDJ's avatar

Pierre is a smart guy and usually isn’t too biased for any particular team. He’s just so goddamn creepy and so goddamn annoying it’s unbelievable. Of course, the rest of the NBC crew is much worse and sometimes I literally cannot watch and listen to them, so I have shut off the TV or muted NBC broadcasts in the past.

Posted by EDJ on 06/12/13 at 02:33 PM ET

bezukov's avatar

#1. The NHL and NBCs’ contempt for the fans is enraging and plain to see.

#2. I’m not half the NFL fan compared to my love of hockey, but I have zero problems with Michaels or Collinsworth.  They compliment each well and don’t slobber all over the team in the lead.  Not so on the NHL on NBC.

I actually like Doc a lot, but Pierre is on the mic too much.  He’s one or two bad catch phrases away from being hockey’s answer to Dic Vitale.  Pierre would do a lot better if they held him to the role of a side line/personal interest reporter.

As for Eddie Moldcyzk, he doesn’t bring positive energy to the broadcast, his insight isn’t exceptional, and his loyalties come through in his analysis.  Obviously I’m a homer here, but I feel Mickey does a much better job of analyzing the game.  He’s one of those guys who can be a fan and be objective at the same time.

Posted by bezukov from the kids are alright. on 06/12/13 at 02:34 PM ET

Posted by howiehockey on 06/12/13 at 02:29 PM ET

McGuire and Rick Nash?  In the same room?  Dude…

Posted by SYF from Zata's Epic Viking Beard on 06/12/13 at 02:35 PM ET

Ajax19's avatar

I like Dave Strader and Darren Pang. They used to call the Coyotes games.

Posted by awould on 06/12/13 at 02:31 PM ET

I have been, and always will be, a big Dave Strader fan.  He and Mickey were the “voice” of the Red Wings when I first started watching, so he’ll always have a special place in terms of play-by-play guys for me.

Strader called games for the Lightning too for a bit, at least for the 2005 season, and I remember watching a Wings/Lightning game and it was the Tampa feed and Dave really couldn’t hide his Detroit bias from me.

Posted by Ajax19 on 06/12/13 at 02:38 PM ET

bezukov's avatar

Fixed that for ya Sam Flood.

Dave Strader and Brian Engblom are a 100% improvement over NBC’s “A-list” crew.

It’s a sick twisted world when I have to say that I’d rather see Engblom.

I miss Gary Thorne.

Posted by bezukov from the kids are alright. on 06/12/13 at 02:41 PM ET

Vladimir16's avatar

or muted NBC broadcasts in the past.

Posted by EDJ on 06/12/13 at 02:33 PM ET

I haven’t listened to those tolls in…. hell, I can’t remember the last time.

I miss Gary Thorne.

Posted by bezukov from the kids are alright. on 06/12/13 at 02:41 PM ET

Yep. Him and Clement were real good.

Posted by Vladimir16 from Grand River Valley on 06/12/13 at 02:58 PM ET

Vladimir16's avatar

*tools, not tolls.

Posted by Vladimir16 from Grand River Valley on 06/12/13 at 02:58 PM ET

Thought I read, “trolls,” Vladdie.  Worked just the same for me.

Posted by SYF from Zata's Epic Viking Beard on 06/12/13 at 03:00 PM ET

Primis's avatar

At some point though we have to stop blaming the individual announcers and start blaming NBC for collecting them.

Much like how the entire collection of NFL on FOX is truly awful, so is the NHL on NBC.

NBC clearly wants and intends for the awful.  They’ve gone out of their way to make it so.

Every single broadcaster Flood listed is awful.  That’s no coincidence…

Posted by Primis on 06/12/13 at 03:15 PM ET

PaulinMiamiBeach's avatar

So I know Ken and Mickey are homers

Ken and Mick only broadcast Wings games for a home television audience.  bias is acceptable and expected.

the NBC crew broadcasts national games for many teams with viewers from all around the country (maybe fans of one of the two teams playing, maybe not) and therefore bias is not acceptable.

Posted by PaulinMiamiBeach on 06/12/13 at 03:23 PM ET

Please consider taking your own advice when it comes to prospect evaluations/interviews:

he comes off as downright cuddly and, as such, slightly creepy.

Posted by jkm2011 on 06/12/13 at 03:29 PM ET

Red Winger's avatar

Posted by Norskirama from Lincoln, Nebraska on 06/12/13 at 01:44 PM ET

Mickey at one time was a pretty big homer. The Wings rarely could do wrong, and almost every goal scored on them was because of some fluky bounce or it was tipped ten times, which replay many times showed was not the case.

But that isn’t a major concern when it’s not national TV. Mickey calls it like it is today. And what sets him apart, and always has, was his unique style and delivery. When listening to Mickey it’s like talking to the guy next to you, having a beer and watching the game. That is a style very, very few NHL color analysts can pull off.

Ken Daniels is excellent. At times a homer, sure, but nothing compared to most of his colleagues. And he’s a genuinely good person. He once took time out while driving to Montreal for a pre-season game against the Wings to come on a radio show I was doing up here. He was informative, funny, and made us feel like we were ESPN he was talking to. He didn’t have to do that, but he did.

Other commentators:

Bob Cole

Bob Cole is one-of-a-kind. You probably need to be of a certain age to truly appreciate him. If you had the pleasure of hearing Danny Galivan call a game,you learn to appreciate Cole more. I’ve often said that in his heyday he could make an Islanders - Coyotes pre-season game sound more exciting than some announcers could make a Stanley Cup final sound.

Doc

Unique. Sometimes over-bearing, but one never doubts his love of the game.

Edzo

Knows the game, but has a sometimes-boring delivery. Needs to control his homer-ism. He’s at his best when he is in his “I want all you kids out there to watch this!” mode.

Pierre

Unsurpassed trivial knowledge of the game, which isn’t a bad thing. He sees things that pass by others. Sometimes his comments counteract the deluge of Xs and Os comments, which isn’t a bad thing.

Dave Strader

Average. Why do I think baseball when I hear his relatively-monotone delivery?

Posted by Red Winger from Sault Ste Marie on 06/12/13 at 03:43 PM ET

I really miss Gary Thorne and Bill Clemente. Loved Gary Thorne calling hockey on ESPN. Still my favorite.

Posted by Marisabel on 06/12/13 at 03:49 PM ET

Vladimir16's avatar

Doc
Unique. Sometimes over-bearing, but one never doubts his love of the game.
Edzo
Pierre
Dave Strader
Average. Why do I think baseball when I hear his relatively-monotone delivery?
Posted by Red Winger from Sault Ste Marie on 06/12/13 at 03:43 PM ET

You forgot your sarcasm smiley

Posted by Vladimir16 from Grand River Valley on 06/12/13 at 03:57 PM ET

Red Winger's avatar

You forgot your sarcasm smiley

nope

Posted by Red Winger from Sault Ste Marie on 06/12/13 at 03:59 PM ET

Figaro's avatar

Posted by Marisabel on 06/12/13 at 03:49 PM ET

“McCarty comes back with Ninnima in front of him… McCarty draws, McCarty in…McCarty SCOOORES!!!! A MAGNIFICENT GOAL!!  DARREN MCCARTY!!”

That call is in my favorite and memorized sports calls…maybe just a hair behind Gary Dolphin’s radio call of the last play of the Iowa/LSU Capital One Bowl from ‘05.

Posted by Figaro from Los Alamos, NM on 06/12/13 at 04:01 PM ET

Figaro's avatar

Oddly enough, Gary Thorne was calling that game for ESPN.

Posted by Figaro from Los Alamos, NM on 06/12/13 at 04:05 PM ET

perfection's avatar

generally, I avoid US national broadcasts at all costs. I try to watch Wings’ broadcasts or Canadian national broadcasts. I hear all your specific complaints against the NBC crew, but the REAL problem is their production. Most of what’s said, other than the play by play, is essentially being fed to whoever’s doing the games and they broadcast to their lowest common dominator. It always seems like the NBC broadcasts are tailoring their calls to those who are watching hockey for the first time ever, whereas CBC/TSN/Rogers Sportsnet all broadcast with the assumption that their viewers have been bleeding hockey since they were babies. It’s a HUGE difference regardless of who the actual announcers are.

I cannot stand Pierre, but believe it or not, I find him slightly more tolerable on Canadian broadcasts than I do NBC broadcasts.

And Milbury’s the worst. Even for his role… he’s just terrible at it.

But the fact is - guys like Clement, Farraro, and Engblom were deemed too Canadian for NBC. You definitely gotta talk a certain way to get primetime exposure on NBC. Guys with strong Canadian accents (who also happen to be good announcers) get buried on the late night west coast games.

Posted by perfection from LaLaLand on 06/12/13 at 05:03 PM ET