The Malik Report

Ilitch Family Ownership Transfer Will Be Discussed At BOG Meeting

This via the Dreger Report at TSN,

The NHL's Board of Governors meet on Monday in New York.

As per usual, this meeting will serve as a 'state of the NHL' update.

Franchise matters ranging from the expected sale of the Florida Panthers, the sale of the New Jersey Devils and the latest on the Ilitch family's ownership transfer in Detroit will be covered by the commissioner's office.

Some around the league expect future expansion to find its way into discussions at the board level on Monday as well.

If Seattle's plan to construct a new building is followed through, it's believed Seattle will remain of interest to the NHL. However, sources say there isn't going to be a major expansion plan or push given the improved financial stability of all 30 NHL teams anytime soon.

Filed in: | The Malik Report | Permalink

Comments

bezukov's avatar

Ownership transfer?  Please explain.

Posted by bezukov from the kids are alright. on 09/19/13 at 12:25 PM ET

Paul's avatar

bez.. I would think it it Mr. and Mrs. I transferring it to select family matters.  Probably will do the same after the Tigers season too.

His health is suffering at this point in time.

Posted by Paul from Motown Area on 09/19/13 at 12:30 PM ET

Primis's avatar

We all knew this was coming.  We just kept hoping for maybe one more year I guess.

Posted by Primis on 09/19/13 at 12:34 PM ET

bezukov's avatar

Thanks for the explanation Paul.  I figured it was something like that considering Mr. Illitch’s age.

Posted by bezukov from the kids are alright. on 09/19/13 at 12:35 PM ET

Nathan's avatar

From the perspective of a fan, I’m at least thankful that the teams will stay in the Ilitch family. Obviously, that’s no guarantee that they will continue to be run with a passion for winning (or in some down years, at least the passion to try to win). But his extended family has been involved in both clubs to a significant degree for a long time, so this seems about as “safe” of an ownership change as we could ask for.

Posted by Nathan from the scoresheet! on 09/19/13 at 01:47 PM ET

J.J. from Kansas's avatar

Few things in hockey worry me more than the potential for a reverse-Wirtz situation happening with the Ilitch family transfer.

Mike Ilitch is a sportsman who made plenty of money on his teams, but also probably could have made a lot more if he had run them differently.  I’m not sure Chris is that similar.

Posted by J.J. from Kansas on 09/19/13 at 02:23 PM ET

George Malik's avatar

There’s a reason that Christopher Ilitch was named the president of the Red Wings half a decade ago.

Posted by George Malik from South Lyon, MI on 09/19/13 at 02:33 PM ET

w2j2's avatar

I think that Mike Ilitch has been getting less involved for some time.  Marian, his wife, may be more involved on his behalf.  From what I have seen, their son Christopher has been more visible for several years.

Posted by w2j2 on 09/19/13 at 03:11 PM ET

CaptainDennisPolonich's avatar

We all knew this was coming.  We just kept hoping for maybe one more year Cup I guess.

Posted by Primis
on 09/19/13 at 01:34 PM ET

Fixt.

What a contrast in ownership Norris v. Ilitch. (Which is why I was not sorry to see the Norris Div. name disappear) I think Mr. I will always be beloved by Red Wing fans but especially by that generation of fans that endured the end of the 42 yr drought. Game 4 of the ‘97 Cup Final was replayed on NHLN this summer and thanks to DVR technology I’ve watched it twice. It still brings tears to my eyes. It also makes me hate Bettman and his communist cap even more.

Posted by CaptainDennisPolonich from The Land of Fake Boobs and Real Nuts on 09/19/13 at 04:19 PM ET

cowboycoffee's avatar

the Tigers really need to make him happy this year. they need to win it for him.

Posted by cowboycoffee from San Francisco, CA on 09/19/13 at 04:28 PM ET

monkey's avatar

James E. Norris, the namesake of the Norris Division, bought the Detroit Falcons out of receivership.  Prior to Norris taking over Jack Adams was making payroll out of his own pocket.

With the financial backing of Norris and under the new name of the Detroit Red Wings, Adams turned the team into a powerhouse, winning the Stanley Cup five times prior to Norris’ death in 1952 and twice more after.

If it wasn’t for James E. Norris there wouldn’t have been a Detroit Red Wings franchise to run into the ground after he was gone.  I don’t think the crazy internecine battles and bizarre trade decisions that occured after his passing reflect in any way what his legacy was to this franchise.

Posted by monkey from Praha, Česká republika on 09/19/13 at 06:28 PM ET