The Malik Report

If Rick Nash weighs the same as a duck…

Edit/update: Whoops, wrong blog. Was meant for KK hockey, not Wings consumption: We’ve gotten to the point where Rick Nash trade deadline frenzy has reached Pythonesque levels, with even reasonable media types throwing out team names—to the point that I half expect someone to say that Ak Bars Kazan will try to out-bid HIFK Helsinki for Nash’s services—so in lieu of asking what also floats in water (Small rocks! Gravy! Churches!), I’ll defer to defer to the Globe and Mail’s David Shoalts and USA Today’s Kevin Allen. Both columnists duly note that while Nash may very well be in play, the Blue Jackets could and probably should wait for a few more months before pressing the franchise reset button:

Even in attempting to handicap the Nash-bidding field, the Globe and Mail’s David Shoalts suggests as much…

It may be in the Blue Jackets’ best interest to wait until the off-season to trade Nash, as there may be more teams willing to make serious offers. Jackets general manager Scott Howson has already been told by some of his peers that is what they prefer since it’s easier to deal with the salary cap issue then.

However, Howson will still need Nash to waive his no-movement rights for any trade. Howson will be looking for a combination of young established players, top prospects and a first-round draft pick. His needs are greatest in goal and on defence.

And USA Today’s Kevin Allen agrees that a combination of CBA-related factors and the simple fact that the Blue Jackets have to offer more than a Joe Thornton deal’s bounty to the people who’ve paid good money for Nash and Steve Mason jerseys yield circumstances which make a summertime transaction much more palatable:

To defend a Nash trade to their fans, the Blue Jackets have to land a package that includes multiple NHL-ready players. That would seem to eliminate most contenders as potential trading partners because they would want to add Nash to their roster without subtracting multiple regulars. The best offers contenders can make today would likey be prospect- or draft pick-oriented. That not what Columbus needs.

If they are trading Nash, they need to view it as an auction, instead of a trade. They have to try to move him to the highest bidder of assets. The Blue Jackets should say the minimum bid is two quality players to put directly in their lineup, a prospect with star potential and a first-round draft pick. They have to get help now, and in the future. Nash might score 50 or more goals if he is moved to a talent-laden team.

If the Blue Jackets hold a Nash auction this summer before the draft, they might have 20 or more teams bidding. The perception about Nash is that he might turn into a monstrous force if he is surrounded with the right talent. A team might give up far more than the minimum bid to get him. Can you imagine him playing for San Jose or Vancouver or Detroit or the New York Rangers? Those teams all could offer more this summer than they can now. As much as every team would want Nash, depth is crucial heading into the playoffs. They can’t afford to create two or three holes in the name of landing him. Nash has a $7.8 million salary cap, and it would be easier for teams to make that work this summer.

Filed in: | The Malik Report | Permalink

Comments

Lucce's avatar

You are thinking what Im thinking….. But he is not a “Wish”

Posted by Lucce from Kingdom of Zweden on 02/16/12 at 04:41 AM ET

What a depressing time for CBJ fans.  They must know that the Jackets front office is just too incompetent.

It’s their front office that needs the most fix before they “auction off” Nash in the off-season as they seem to be inclined to do.

Posted by SYF from the team that re-signed KFQ and DFC by KFH on 02/16/12 at 04:50 AM ET

RorSchach's avatar

Rick Nash: 6’4, 218 lbs, shoots left and is only 27.
Ryan Getzlaf: 6’4, 224 lbs, shoots right and is only 26.

Getzlaf would be cheaper and he is a righty.. I think he’d be the better bargain because of that. Either way.. I’d welcome either, though Getzlaf would be cheaper in my opinion.

Posted by RorSchach from Datsberg on 02/16/12 at 04:54 AM ET

RorSchach, I like Baldy Flatscalp as well because when the Schmucks play the Chum, Thornton tucks tail.

Posted by SYF from the team that re-signed KFQ and DFC by KFH on 02/16/12 at 05:01 AM ET

George Malik's avatar

Please see the addendum above…I just plain old posted this in the wrong blog. I’m not a proponent of a Nash-sized trade by any means, especially given the free agents whose rights should be available at the draft or on July 1st.

Posted by George Malik from South Lyon, MI on 02/16/12 at 05:04 AM ET

RorSchach's avatar

SYF, Whorton.. Gross. I hate that silo of douche. I do believe that Baldy Flatscalp would welcome the change to the Red and White.. *Crosses Fingers* I’ll never see it. :(

Posted by RorSchach from Datsberg on 02/16/12 at 05:08 AM ET

RorSchach's avatar

George, I understand that completely. Again, I’m just throwing out my two cents.

Posted by RorSchach from Datsberg on 02/16/12 at 05:09 AM ET

Lucce's avatar

My biggest concern in this is what the hell did they tell Nash, to make him sign that deal with CBJ? And now they are allegedly trying to trade him…..

Posted by Lucce from Kingdom of Zweden on 02/16/12 at 06:48 AM ET

Rdwings28's avatar

Trade Columbus to Canada somewhere

Posted by Rdwings28 on 02/16/12 at 10:54 AM ET

MsRedWinger's avatar

No way Holland trades “young established players, top prospects and a first-round draft pick” for anybody right now.

And to those who think Getzlaf would be a good fit on the Wings, keep in mind that the guy is CRAZY.  Seriously, he is prone (as we’ve all seen) to just losing it and doing very stupid, gooney things (as is Shane Doan but I think Getzlaf is even worse).  Don’t think that fits the Red Wings model.

Posted by MsRedWinger from Flori-duh on 02/16/12 at 12:00 PM ET

Evilpens's avatar

you think they ought to wait a few months to hit the reset button ? They have been bad since their inception. Something has to change NOW, Not later

Posted by Evilpens on 02/16/12 at 01:28 PM ET

redxblack's avatar

Columbus could work in Cleveland. The NHL was eyeing Cleveland for that slot, but the Gund brothers owned the Cavs (and the sharts) and did not want a team competing for the winter sports market. They blocked the expansion, so it went to Cbus. The Cleveland AHL affiliate draws better on most weekends than the CBJ, and the tickets are some of the most expensive in the AHL. Besides, Cleveland has a track record for supporting losing teams for long stretches, which is what Columbus really needs.

So I’d say “Move CBJ to within 30 miles and a 4 hour drive of Canada”

Getzlaf would be a better fit for DRW than Nash. I hope Nash ends up in Ottawa because that would be amusing.

Posted by redxblack from Akron Ohio on 02/16/12 at 01:32 PM ET

George Malik's avatar

From a divisional opponent’s fan’s perspective, I’d just love to see Nash go to the Eastern Conference as he’s been a Wing-killer extraordinaire over the course of his career, but from Columbus’s point of view, there’s no reason to trade Nash now for the equivalent of Joe Thornton’s haul (Stuart, Sturm, Wayne Primeau, 1st rounder) when the Blue Jackets could receive a roster player, top prospect and more draft picks in the summer.

Posted by George Malik from South Lyon, MI on 02/16/12 at 01:47 PM ET

Nate A's avatar

What will an immediate trade do for CBJ that couldn’t be accomplished in the off-season? Even if they swap the entire team with a contender, they’re not making the playoffs this year.

If they can get a great deal now, good for them. But if there’s better deals to be had over the summer when all teams have more flexibility to accommodate a contract like Nash, might as well wait.

Posted by Nate A from Detroit-ish on 02/16/12 at 01:57 PM ET

Matt Fry's avatar

I can imagine him playing for San Jose but can’t see it being possible.  If Wilson can somehow get Havlat involved in the trade, then it’s possible but I don’t think Howson is that desperate.

Posted by Matt Fry from Winnipeg on 02/16/12 at 02:09 PM ET

Matt Fry's avatar

Maybe Columbus can make a bridge out of him…

Posted by Matt Fry from Winnipeg on 02/16/12 at 02:09 PM ET

I disagree that Nash should be moved in the offseason.  RIGHT NOW, the Jackets have leverage as hungry teams want to get over the hump.  How many teams have a legit Top 3 forward that is 27, (although a bit expensive salary wise), will bring hunger after losing for so long, and is not a problem in the locker room.

In the summer EVERY player is available.  I see the jackets getting a top 6 forward and a top 4 d and a #1 pick for Nash.

I think he’d be great for the Wings, but I think the price is just too high.  As I’ve said before, Howson screwed the pooch as Nash is not a disher.  He has less assists than goals.  Carter is almost exactly the same.  Two finishers on the same line?  Neither is a great passer.  In addition, I said when the trade was made Voracek might end up being better than Carter.  He’s still only 22.  The Flyers fleeced the Jackets on that one.

If I were Howson, If you can get the pieces above, I’d also try to get rid of Carter too.
IMO, Nash goes East hopefully to Pittsburgh.

Posted by BobaFett from Las Vegas on 02/16/12 at 03:22 PM ET

RorSchach's avatar

Posted by MsRedWinger from Michigan, but now in Florida on 02/16/12 at 09:00 AM ET

Funny you should mention that considering that most players change their attitude when they join the Red and White. Babcock and Co. wouldn’t tolerate him being a goon. Besides, you notice how he’s only that when his team is being spanked? Wouldn’t happen that often with the Wings. Again. Just my two cents. I would just rather have Getzlaf over Nash. Added bonus that Getzlaf is physical and isn’t afraid to hit anyone.

Posted by RorSchach from Datsberg on 02/16/12 at 03:44 PM ET

Yes, and so was Commodore before we found out what a good man he is just from the character he brought to the Wings dressing room and standing up for his teammates.  Since then in the spare time he was dressed to play, he has played surprisingly well for the Wings.  I’d love to have C64 back next season.

Baldy Flatscalp was a loose cannon in Crylyle’s system.  Since Boudreau took over, he’s a different but a much better player now, which, I think, has raised his value considerably.  And Whorton still tucks tail whenever Flatscalp’s on the ice.

Flatscalp cap hit:  $5.3 million till 2014 (UFA 2014).
Nash cap hit:  $7.8 million till 2018 (UFA 2018).

I’d be content with Flatscalp.

Posted by SYF from the team that re-signed KFQ and DFC by KFH on 02/16/12 at 03:56 PM ET

RIGHT NOW, the Jackets have leverage as hungry teams want to get over the hump.
I think he’d be great for the Wings, but I think the price is just too high.

See, this is why it’s better for Columbus to trade him in the off-season.

There are a lot of good teams that would love to have him but wouldn’t want to upset the chemistry of the team in order to fit Nash in.  If they waited till the summer more teams would be interested in him and would be willing to part with more to get him.

By trading him now there are a lot fewer possible destinations for Nash and thus less competition for him and thus less demand and less reason for teams to try and outbid one another.

Flatscalp cap hit:  $5.3 million till 2014 (UFA 2014).
Nash cap hit:  $7.8 million till 2018 (UFA 2018).
I’d be content with Flatscalp.

Can we go for Parise at $6-7 million instead?

Posted by Garth on 02/16/12 at 04:13 PM ET

Jeebus, Garth.  I’ve completely forgotten that Parise is UFA this year.

Don’t mind him, neither.

Posted by SYF from the team that re-signed KFQ and DFC by KFH on 02/16/12 at 04:17 PM ET

Chris in A^2's avatar

Barring some Ken Holland magic, Rick Nash means letting at least one of happy and stuart walk this year, and then you’d need lidstrom to retire to pay White and Jimmy in 2014.  It also means losing a top prospect that the wings will need to contribute 4 years from now when the roster starts to turn over (Datsyuk will be 39 by the time all of our top prospects are in the NHL). Losing the first round pick(s) I’m ok with because the chances of getting someone as good as Smith, Jarnkrock or Nyquist in the bottom if the first round are low.
I’d rather keep the guys we have and sign someone with a more reasonable cap hit in free agency, preferaby someone that can help fill the void Lidstrom will eventually leave.

Posted by Chris in A^2 from Nyquist Puck Control on 02/16/12 at 06:21 PM ET