The Malik Report

I wish this wasn’t true, but it is

From DETJustin on Twitter, this is the Red Wings' current injury situation, summarized:

This is also true:

See also: Gamesmanship and lies, sponsored by Eddie Olczyk (the refereeing since the Olympic break has been like the no-touch policy at Henry the VIII's on Middlebelt in Inkster):

Filed in: | The Malik Report | Permalink

Comments

Bent's avatar

Remarkable.  And not in a good way.

Posted by Bent from The U.P. on 03/18/14 at 10:17 PM ET

BrendonR's avatar

So subtle!

Posted by BrendonR on 03/18/14 at 10:22 PM ET

Someone needs to show Carlyle the tape of What Tim Gleason did before he got his penalty on Brendan Smith.

Give the Leafs some credit, they were getting away with blatant penalties, not even being subtle about it.

*#$%@& you Carlyle.

Posted by Garth on 03/18/14 at 10:34 PM ET

Figaro's avatar

I was shocked, shocked to hear that a Randy Carlyle team was one of the most penalized teams in the league. SHOCKED!

Posted by Figaro from Los Alamos, NM on 03/18/14 at 11:13 PM ET

bigfrog's avatar

#Leafs Carlyle on #redwings: “I thought interference was supposed to be called in the NHL. We felt there was a lot of interference.”

He must be related to Eddie O. lol

Posted by bigfrog on 03/18/14 at 11:20 PM ET

Every game is crucial at this point, but looking at the schedule the 4 game stretch from the 25th through the 30th looks like the final proving ground, given the opponents and my anticipation that, of the 9 points we can “afford” to lose, we’ll probably lose at least 3 between now and then.

Who, of our injured guys, might be back for that stretch?

—Helm has been “about a week” for awhile but it still sounds like he might be back for the 25th

—Andersson’s injury was an “at least two weeks” suffered on March 9th, so we’ve got a reasonable shot of getting him back

—Jurco was on a 10-to-14-day timeline starting back on the 11th (or possibly the 12th)—so he’s a “maybe”

—Ericsson, if it’s really 10 days, could be back for the games on the 29th and 30th.

—Abdelkader is unfortunately at “two weeks” from the 16th, but maybe he’ll be available for those back-to-back games as well.

—The start of that stretch coincides with the end of Datsyuk’s “shut down” period, but a) we have no idea if the knee inflammation will have gone down at that point and b) he isn’t skating or working out during the “shut down,” so I highly doubt he’ll play before April if at all this season.*

Even just getting Helm, Andersson, and Jurco back would be a good thing at this point.  That isn’t a lot of goals but it is two guys we can trust on the ice with two minutes to go and an extra skater out against us.

*If we’ve lost, say, 5 of the 9 or so points we can “afford” to lose between now and then I figure Datsyuk will stay shut down regardless.  Why risk further injury to reduce our lottery odds?

Posted by captaineclectic on 03/19/14 at 05:35 AM ET

Mandingo's avatar

Zetterberg and Datsyuk aren’t playing another game this season, playoffs or not.

You can take that to the bank.

Posted by Mandingo from The Garage on 03/19/14 at 08:48 AM ET

You can take that to the bank.

I know it’s fun to play who’s-the-biggest-cynic.  But I was asking for actual information.

Posted by captaineclectic on 03/19/14 at 08:50 AM ET

WingedRider's avatar

Holland was quoted as saying Z would be back for the East Final at the earliest.  Not sure if Holland quotes are real information.

I tend to lean towards Z/Pav being out for the season also.

Posted by WingedRider from Saskatoon, SK on 03/19/14 at 09:34 AM ET

I asked this earlier, and I’ll ask it again—where was Holland quoted as saying this?  At the deadline he said, repeatedly, that Zetterberg was expected back sometime during the first round.  If I’ve missed him updating that timeline, I’ll be happy to be directed to where.

I think it’s some Helene St. James said at the deadline, not from Holland at all.

Posted by captaineclectic on 03/19/14 at 09:44 AM ET

WingedRider's avatar

captaineclectic   In Canada Holland was interviewed by phone by Kypreos (SportsNet Hockey Central at Noon).

I am not even going to try and remember when as I watch it every day and I am to old for all that thinking.  Z will be back when he gets back, time lines do change with surgeries. Wait and see for me.

Posted by WingedRider from Saskatoon, SK on 03/19/14 at 09:51 AM ET

Got a date on that?  Right now we’ve gone from “Holland said it somewhere” to “Holland said it on a radio show that’s been missed by print media.”

Not buying it without evidence, guys.

Posted by captaineclectic on 03/19/14 at 10:01 AM ET

WingedRider's avatar

captaineclectic

READ my response! I   AM   NOT LOOKING FOR IT!

Big game Thursday!!!!

Posted by WingedRider from Saskatoon, SK on 03/19/14 at 10:12 AM ET

READ my response! I   AM   NOT LOOKING FOR IT!

Big game Thursday!!!!

Well, I’m not looking for it either because absent real evidence it didn’t happen.  George didn’t see it and judging from Twitter neither did Ansar Khan, Gregg Krupa, Helene St. James, Chuck Pleiness, Bob Duff, or Bill Roose.

Until Holland actually says that Zetterberg is out until the East Finals at least, he’s only out until the first round, exactly as Holland has said in every actually verifiable interview.

Posted by captaineclectic on 03/19/14 at 10:21 AM ET

I   AM   NOT LOOKING FOR IT!

Well, why don’t you stomp your feet about it?.

And by the way, I found it.

The last time he was on Hockeycentral@Noon was March 7th.

He said, and this is a direct quote: “Some time in the first round of the playoffs, if we’re in the tournament, we hope to get good news on Henrik Zetterberg”.  At no point in the interview (which is mostly about Lidstrom’s number retirement) does he even utter the phrase “east final”.

So if the quote is from Hockeycentral@Noon then the quote doesn’t exist.

Maybe it’s from somewhere else, but it isn’t from Hockeycentral.

And by the way, if he did actually say it, then it would’ve been reported somewhere, anywhere.

Posted by Garth on 03/19/14 at 10:22 AM ET