The Malik Report

‘I like our squad a lot’

Updated 3x at 3 PM: The Free Press's Helene St. James spoke with Red Wings coach Jeff Blashill about the team's likely inactivity at the trade deadline, and Blashill is quite comfortable with the Wings moving forward as they are currently constructed:

Head coach Jeff Blashill said, "because it falls on a game day, I've been real focused on just getting our team ready and going through preparation. I sat in with the pro scouts yesterday with Ken Holland and his management team and went through that.

"It's a little bit like July 1, where there's some opportunity for teams to add, but lots of times, there's also mistakes. One thing that's real important is that chemistry is real important. You build chemistry through time, and I think we've got a good group of chemistry here.

"I like our squad a lot. I'm more than comfortable. I'm excited about the roster going forward. (Tomas) Tatar and (Gustav) Nyquist are going to get going. They are proven goal scorers in the league. I don't know where else you find 29- and 27-goal scorers. We've got guys here that I believe in a ton. It's easy to want to add, but lots of times, those end up being mistakes. I'm very, very pleased with our group."

St. James continues...

Update: St. James posted a video of Blashill's comments:

Update #2: Here's more from the Detroit News's Ted Kulfan:

“I’d say more than comfortable,” Blashill said. “I’m excited about the roster going forward. As I said the other night, (Tomas) Tatar and (Gustav) Nyquist are going to get going (offensively). I know that. They’re proven scorers. Where else are you going to find 29- and 27-goal scorers (from last season)? We have guys here who I believe in a ton.

“It’s easy to want to add, but lots of times those end up being mistakes. I’m very pleased with our group.”

Tatar has 17 goals and 35 points and Nyquist has 15 goals and 33 points.

The number of attractive names available was dwindling as the hours passed, and general manager Ken Holland said all last week he wasn’t interested in giving up draft picks or prospects for rental players.

Blashill likes this team’s chemistry, too, and that could be fractured with a big addition this late in the season.

“Chemistry is real important and you build chemistry through time,” Blashill said. “We’ve got a good group of chemistry.”

Update #3:

Update #4: More from MLive's Ansar Khan:

"It's a little bit like July 1, where there's some opportunities for teams to add but lots of times there's also mistakes out there," Blashill said. "Chemistry is real important. You build chemistry through time and I think we got a good group with chemistry here. I like our squad a lot."

Blashill said he's "more than comfortable with the  roster."

"I'm excited about the roster going forward," Blashill said. "(Tomas) Tatar and (Gustav) Nyquist are going to get going. I know that. They're proven scorers in the league. I don't know where else you find 29- and 27-goal scorers.

"We got guys here that I believe in a ton. It's easy to want to add but lots of times those end up being mistakes. I'm very pleased with our group and now we got to excel at a high level."

Update #5: From DetroitRedWings.com's Dana Wakiji:

Update #6:

Filed in: | The Malik Report | Permalink

Comments

1 2 >       Next »

duhduhduh's avatar

One thing that’s real important is that chemistry is real important. You build chemistry through time, and I think we’ve got a good group of chemistry here

Jim Leyland on ‘chemistry’: usually winning teams have it;  losers, not so much.

Posted by duhduhduh on 02/29/16 at 03:43 PM ET

PierreC's avatar

its a bunch of blablas….

confortable with this squad…yeah everybody is packing up with upgrades but we stand still…

We have an extra D that we could have to upgrade…we have an extra goalie that we can also use…

It tells me they want us to watch a John Wayne film during the playoffs cause they don’t believe we have a chance…

and we start Howard tonight !!! Way to go Blashy baby !!

Posted by PierreC from Montreal, Canada on 02/29/16 at 03:44 PM ET

duhduhduh's avatar

and we start Howard tonight !!! Way to go Blashy baby !!

So what.  Dallas wants to go places and maybe Detroit is trying to get Howard going for trade possibilities in the offseason.  This season is done.  Wings defensive game just falling apart and PP has never been worth a shit all year.  I’m even ok with missing the playoffs, since we might as well take stock in a better draft position.

Posted by duhduhduh on 02/29/16 at 03:57 PM ET

‘I like our squad a lot’

Mmmmm, this Kool-Aid is delicious, Mr Jones.

Posted by Garth on 02/29/16 at 04:01 PM ET

MoreShoot, if you’re ok with us missing the playoffs, you should be very annoyed that we didn’t trade Quincey.

Posted by captaineclectic on 02/29/16 at 04:02 PM ET

OlderThanChelios's avatar

“It’s easy to want to add, but lots of times those end up being mistakes.”

Blash went on to say… “And since Ken Holland is better at making mistakes than doing anything positive, I’m thrilled that he’s not doing anything. In fact, if we could get him to just not come in anymore, I think we’d all be better off.”  cheese

But, seriously, Holland is a “hoarder.” There are a number of players in GR who are not going to make it to Detroit because of the current roster (especially after he overpays for Helm this summer). So moving guys like Frk, Callahan, Sproul, etc. for picks would be a lot more helpful than losing them for nothing next fall.

Yeah, I know, trades are hard, Ken. Grow a pair and do your damn job.

Posted by OlderThanChelios from Grand Rapids, MI on 02/29/16 at 04:03 PM ET

The whole “I like our team” thing was obnoxious when we used to crush our division regularly, but now that we’re a perennial bubble team (with a negative goal differential) it’s even more galling.  Particularly the “chemistry” line.  “Gotta preserve that precious…negative goal differential…which we have despite the best goaltending performance the franchise has had in a generation…chemistry.”

I was on the side of selling, however.  Team’s going nowhere, time to capitalize on an asset or two.

At least we ditched Kindl.

Posted by captaineclectic on 02/29/16 at 04:06 PM ET

Worst deadline day ever.

Posted by Wise1 on 02/29/16 at 04:06 PM ET

This team really believes that the playoffs ARE anybody’s game.  The eighth seed is as dangerous as the first seed.  The LAK (Adam fuching Deadmarsh) and the SJS (Jamie fuching Baker) are examples of that when the Wings were heavily favored.

Posted by SYF from A tall cool pint of Guinness on 02/29/16 at 04:07 PM ET

jpellek's avatar

Posted by SYF from Dr. Ima Tearadikov’s Office on 02/29/16 at 03:07 PM ET

The Kings of 2012 are living proof. 95 points, 8th seed and won the Cup.

As much as people want to bitch, the Wings are closer to first place in their division than being out of the playoffs.

Posted by jpellek on 02/29/16 at 04:11 PM ET

duhduhduh's avatar

I am because that likely mean that Kenny will keep him around for 3 or 4 more years.  I guess we just dump Jensen and XO (out of waiver options, right?), and Jensen without ever even getting a look at whether he can handle the NHL.  Just think how depressed Russo and Saarijaarvi must get when they think about their chances of climbing our excellent ‘depth’ at D.

Posted by duhduhduh on 02/29/16 at 04:17 PM ET

As a crazy fan of the team I obviously want them to make the playoffs, but generally speaking, the only way to end mediocrity is to miss the playoffs. KH’s whole philosophy after Hossa left has been making sure we have the streak going. Getting out of the first round is absolutely secondary for him. And we do not know if those “instructions” come from above or not.

Posted by VPalmer on 02/29/16 at 04:17 PM ET

That perspective would be more believable if we’d been good in the playoffs.

But we’ve lost four of our last five series.

Lost badly, in fact.  We are 12-19 in the last 5 playoff series.  In those games we’ve scored 59 goals and allowed 81.

So it doesn’t really seem like it’s been “anybody’s game.”  Not sure how series from 20 or 15 years ago are relevant.

Posted by captaineclectic on 02/29/16 at 04:18 PM ET

Worst deadline day ever

Previous 2 years were worse as it turned out.

Posted by VPalmer on 02/29/16 at 04:18 PM ET

The Kings of 2012 are living proof. 95 points, 8th seed and won the Cup.

Posted by jpellek on 02/29/16 at 03:11 PM ET

The Wings aren’t even remotely as good as that 2012 Kings team. Detroit may be within shouting distance of first place in their division right now, but they’re about a million miles from being a Cup contender.

Posted by godblender on 02/29/16 at 04:18 PM ET

duhduhduh's avatar

he Kings of 2012 are living proof. 95 points, 8th seed and won the Cup.

Oh, for pity sake.  They under performed for half a season, which is why they went in 8th, but anyone can tell you they were loaded with playoff talent.

Posted by duhduhduh on 02/29/16 at 04:19 PM ET

Posted by VPalmer on 02/29/16 at 03:18 PM ET

I disagree.  Not one deal today was of any real significance.  What a dud.

Posted by Wise1 on 02/29/16 at 04:22 PM ET

jpellek's avatar

There’s honestly only three or four legit Cup contenders this year. The NHL has turned into the NFL where the upper echelon of teams are grossly better than the rest of the field.

Posted by jpellek on 02/29/16 at 04:22 PM ET

Posted by jpellek on 02/29/16 at 03:22 PM ET

This is the opposite of what our team’s brass believes.

Posted by captaineclectic on 02/29/16 at 04:25 PM ET

Please.. I’m sure the ones whining and crying we didn’t make any moves blasted Holland last year for losing jarnkrokk and Janmark. We dumped Kindl and didn’t lose anything. Win Win. This isn’t NHL2016 you smucks. Stick to your ‘careers’.

Posted by Probie4Prez on 02/29/16 at 04:29 PM ET

Down River Dan's avatar

Only disappointed that Kenny couldn’t trade Franzen’s contract to the coyotes Ala pronger.

That 3.95m hit the next 4 years is an unfortunate albatross.

On the plus side, I believe the Cleary deal is done at end of season, so we got that going for us confused

Posted by Down River Dan on 02/29/16 at 04:32 PM ET

AzWingsFan's avatar

Worst deadline day ever.

I’m with you, and the coverage on NHL network horrible.  Get rid of that garbage and give us back TSN please.

I really wish the Wings would miss the playoffs this year so we can stop playing and building a team just to keep the playoff streak alive. I’d rather be out of the playoffs than just some mediocre team that has no chance at the cup at all but makes the playoffs.

The Wings Front Office really needs an overhaul starting with Jimmy D and Kenny H.  When Yzerman left he took a chunk of our great scouting staff with him, when Jim Nill left he did the same and I do not think what we have now in Holland, Martin and Draper is anywhere near good enough to build a Cup Champion.  I think Nill did most of the work in the shadow of Holland for many years and it is quite obvious now when you look at what Nill has been able to do in a few years in Dallas and what Holland has done in Detroit over the same time.

Hope that Chris Illitch has the passion to win that his father did and realizes that when his father is gone he needs to pull a Rocky Wertz and start over again with the Wings if he ever wants to start a new era of winning in Detroit.

Posted by AzWingsFan on 02/29/16 at 04:32 PM ET

jpellek's avatar

This is the opposite of what our team’s brass believes.

Guess what? A lot of teams believe that. Boston just gave up a ton for a 35 year old JM Liles and they’ll still get bounced in Round One. I can only imagine the outrage if Holland did that.

Posted by jpellek on 02/29/16 at 04:34 PM ET

Should have traded Helm & Quincy.  Still would have made the playoffs.  Get something for them and for god sake don’t resign either!

Posted by Pfidy on 02/29/16 at 04:35 PM ET

Not if they draw Detroit.

Posted by godblender on 02/29/16 at 04:38 PM ET

Wings_in_NYC's avatar

You know who else is comfortable with this team? The team. Most nights they look very comfortable doing the minimum. Why try too hard? You won’t be traded. All you need in Detroit is a good contract year then either Kenny will overpay you or some other team will.

Posted by Wings_in_NYC on 02/29/16 at 04:40 PM ET

I disagree.  Not one deal today was of any real significance.  What a dud.

Oh, you meant in general, not just DRW. OK then.

Posted by VPalmer on 02/29/16 at 04:40 PM ET

I’m pretty sure Franzen’s contract will never hurt us against the cap again.  The only reason it did this year was because we humored his self-jeopardizing attempt to come back.

Posted by captaineclectic on 02/29/16 at 04:48 PM ET

duhduhduh's avatar

There’s always next year.

Posted by duhduhduh on 02/29/16 at 04:53 PM ET

d ca's avatar

Posted by AzWingsFan on 02/29/16 at 03:32 PM ET

I watched TSN’s feed today (you can find an online stream if you looked hard enough)....let me tell you they filled airtime with “stadium antics.” Like racing mascots in the parking lot (Canadian GM’s instead of the ones the Washington Nationals used—but same style), shooting t-shirt cannons until they nailed one of the female reporters in the stomach (hope she wasn’t pregnant), going to the cafe across the street and talking with the sous chef about the daily special (poultine)....they were doing anything they could to fill airtime…it just wasn’t a good day for coverage period. The most interesting thing to happen on TSN was having their cameras fixed on a prospect playing a game during intermission in Jr’s without being told he had been traded because the team didn’t want to tell him until after the game.

In fact I am still watching it right now…

As far as your 2nd point….I think a 35 yr old Kronwall, 35 yr old Z, and 38 year old Dats makes this a logical strategy until their contracts run out/ they retire. I too agree that just making and subsequently losing in the 1st round does not satisfy the fan base around here.

Posted by d ca on 02/29/16 at 04:54 PM ET

We could re-sign Cleary, too.  He had an assist a couple weeks ago.  He’s still got it!

Posted by captaineclectic on 02/29/16 at 04:56 PM ET

WingedRider's avatar

The players can’t be upset that they aren’t treated well!! Everyone’s tires get pumped regularly.  Unfortunately a few are permanently flat.

If the Wings miss the Playoffs it is better to miss by a lot for a chance at a real sniper. #1 D, etc. All i see right now is a Great Goalie, a Great forward….....Lots of 3/4 D Men, lots of small skilled forwards. Stop the Long term bad contracts with NTC for gum boot players

For example, no Stamkos potential, no Keith, Karlsson , etc potential.

Need to get rid of 2 D before next year, hope a prospect (Mantha’s size, would be nice)

Fix Cap management, good grief.  Let someone , Asst GM , take over Hollands pressers.

D Man group with a lot of depth, very poor comment.

Maybe a promotion for KH is due? Asst to the Asst Vice Pres.  Goodbye wrong century Devallano

Posted by WingedRider from Saskatoon, SK on 02/29/16 at 04:59 PM ET

You misspelled “He was medically cleared to play so there was little that could be done”.

Posted by Garth on 02/29/16 at 04:59 PM ET

nEgativezEro's avatar

Holland was able to finally move Kindl and only retained a minimal amount of salary. I’ll count that as a win.

It would’ve been prudent to move Quincey, but he’s still a strong part of our defense, and as a playoff team, GMs are not going to trade those players. Same goes for Helm.

We didn’t miss out on anything. It was mostly rental players being moved. We’ll see what happens at the draft. When the slate is clean for the start of a new season, there’ll be a bit of movement again.

Posted by nEgativezEro on 02/29/16 at 05:00 PM ET

Slumpy's avatar

Lets see where we are at now:

Kindl traded for a 6th round pick.

Today no trades so no physical player added for a playoff run and no scorer added to boost scoring and PP unit.

I’m ready to buy my playoff tickets now Red Wings!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! or I could just throw a few hundred bucks down a sewer drain.

downer

Posted by Slumpy from Under My Wheels on 02/29/16 at 05:00 PM ET

C’mon, Garth.  Franzen admitted he was still feeling post-concussion symptoms, and he made it all of two real games.

Everyone in the world but the doctor who cleared him saw it coming.

Posted by captaineclectic on 02/29/16 at 05:02 PM ET

d ca's avatar

That 3.95m hit the next 4 years is an unfortunate albatross.

HUH? Franzen’s contract becomes more valuable to the Wings in the future. Currently makes 5M for a 3.95M cap hit—no other team wants that yet. However, in the future it becomes a salary of 3.5M, 2.0M, 1.0M, and 1.0M. That means he becomes valuable to a cap floor team starting at next year’s deadline with his peak value coming the following deadline (Feb/March 2018). The way LTIR works it won’t hurt the Wings at all next year (he won’t be medically cleared again so any worry about him playing is nullified).

Cleary’s contract did not hit the Wings cap because he cleared waivers and was never on the NHL team.

Posted by d ca on 02/29/16 at 05:06 PM ET

To the fans that want the team to miss the playoffs…all I say is be careful what you wish for.

If you think Kenny would blow up the squad because we miss out on the playoffs by 2 or 3 or 5 pts you’d be mistaken. He would most likely preach patience, stay the course, let the prospects develop, “parity” etc which would frustrate the hell out of everyone. It’s only really valuable if you’re in the cellar of the league.

That said, I would’ve tried to deal Q and Helmer (and Nyquist) like most of you have been saying, unless they would use Helm on the 4th line where he should be and not overpay him this summer. I would’ve also shot Pulky to the moon for a bag of pucks. Kid is not going to be good in the show

I’m going to enjoy the playoff run as long as it goes and then go from there. We obviously need a #1 stud d-man, but I don’t know where that’s going to come from. It’s a shame that Jensen doesn’t get a look—he’s a good skater. I fear when the honeymoon on Marchy runs out, we are going to be on him like E…too slow.

I actually think we haven’t done such a bad job ‘rebuilding on the fly’ but it’s hard in the cap world and I have mixed feelings about tanking.

Whatever, go wings.

Posted by boylioncat on 02/29/16 at 05:14 PM ET

WingedRider's avatar

Everyone in the world but the doctor who cleared him saw it coming.

Pretty scary actually.  How many are playing and shouldn’t be?

Posted by WingedRider from Saskatoon, SK on 02/29/16 at 05:22 PM ET

d ca's avatar

... All i see right now is a Great Goalie, a Great forward….....Lots of 3/4 D Men, lots of small skilled forwards. Stop the Long term bad contracts with NTC for gum boot players
...
posted by WingedRider from Saskatoon, SK on 02/29/16 at 03:59 PM ET

Agree with: young superstar goalie (check), young top line forward (check), young #3 and #4 dmen (check).

You need to consider: cap space from retiring/ expiring contracts particularly Dats’ 7.5M after next year. Richard’s 3.0M this year Helm’s 2.125M. Quincey’s 4.125M. Miller’s 1.35M. So 10.6M next year with additional space the next. Along with those UFA you need to consider players losing waiver exempt status.

You also need to consider the size of the draft picks beyond Mantha.  6’3 Sheahan, 6’4” Sproul, 6’3” Athanasiou, 6’2” Marchenko ,and 6’3” Svechnikov. They have made a conscious effort to value guys with size more.

As far as bad contracts you have to find a way to move Howard’s contract this off-season. And I agree with you on Abdelkader and Ericsson’s contracts but they were signed for about market rate…we’re just used to hometown discounts that quite frankly don’t apply here any more.

Posted by d ca on 02/29/16 at 05:28 PM ET