The Malik Report

How’s The Process Going?

from Ansar Khan of Mlive,

After losing for the fourth time in five games Saturday, Detroit Red Wings defenseman Niklas Kronwall said his team can't look at the big picture.

Good, because it's not pretty. The Red Wings, following a 3-1 loss to the Carolina Hurricanes at Little Caesars Arena, have 37 games remaining, but it would take a tremendous run to get back into the playoff picture, the kind of roll this team hasn't shown any inclination to make....

"I don't think about whether things are slipping away," coach Jeff Blashill said. "I think about what you have to do to make sure we're in the playoff hunt and what we have to do is win games and certainly there's an urgency to win now.

"We need a run. We need to win three out four, win three out of four, win three out of four. To do that, our PK has to step up and be better, we got to have the shooting mentality, we got to create more chaos, get teams on their heels."

Filed in: | The Malik Report | Permalink

Comments

Figaro's avatar

Creating chaos?  That doesn’t sound very process-y.

Posted by Figaro from Los Alamos, NM on 01/21/18 at 09:51 AM ET

When we win, it’s credit to the “process”, when we lose it’s because, “it’s a process”. This “process” must be something so deep"like a higher level of consciousness” that the coaches can’t teach it, don’t possess it themselves, or the players inability to learn it. Most people just call it winning and losing, causes: game strategy and good or bad execution.

Posted by stateofmifan on 01/21/18 at 09:54 AM ET

Breaking news. There is an URGENCY now. I seem to recall hearing that after Thanksgiving, and then after Christmas, and then between Christmas and the bye-week, and then coming out of the bye-week. But that didn’t really count. It does now though. This is urgent.

Remember that time Ottawa went 20-1-2 down the stretch. It’s possible. It starts by winning 3 of the next 4. Go from there. Once you are in then anything can happen, especially because it’s such a fine-line league.

P.S. I’m still not talking to Mike Green about his NTC, nor am I even shopping him. Right now our focus is on winning the next game and hopefully playing a meaningful game in March.

Posted by fatsavage on 01/21/18 at 10:06 AM ET

ilovehomers's avatar

State is dropping a truth bomb on us.

It’s so easy to pick on “the process” buzz word/phrase of the season, but its just code for our players are bad and our coaches/systems are bad

Posted by ilovehomers on 01/21/18 at 10:15 AM ET

State is dropping a truth bomb on us.

Posted by ilovehomers on 01/21/18 at 10:15 AM ET

While I think Blashill is a moron who should have been fired about 18 months ago…I at least understand what the process is. He’s emphasizing the right habits and the right details…which doesn’t always yield wins and immediate results, but I guess the organization feels this is beneficial in the long run. So play the right way. But sometimes you still lose, due to bad luck, a bad call, just a more talented opponent.

It’s not code for anything you just suggested.
rolleyes

Posted by fatsavage on 01/21/18 at 10:36 AM ET

ilovehomers's avatar

Posted by ilovehomers on 01/21/18 at 10:47 AM ET

Just talking hockey. You were the last to post. So I replied. You should just ignore me. zipper

Posted by fatsavage on 01/21/18 at 10:51 AM ET

ilovehomers's avatar

So there has to be a shooting mentality - Nyquist and Blashill have now said this. But a combined 39 shots in the last 2 games. The attempts were nearly even, but they can’t hit the net.

Also, missing 3/4 of your top penalty killers really hurts. Injuries are finally hitting this team.

It’s not up to Blashill to give up on the season, it’s on Kenny. And he may have already decided to sell. Just gotta work the phones, kick the tires, etc etc.

Posted by ilovehomers on 01/21/18 at 11:11 AM ET

PierreC's avatar

Posted by
          ilovehomers

on 01/21/18 at 11:11 AM ET

It easy to pick on you…you send here about 50 posts a day !...tough to avoid !

Posted by PierreC from Montreal, Canada on 01/21/18 at 01:37 PM ET

ilovehomers's avatar

Posted by PierreC from Montreal, Canada on 01/21/18 at 01:37 PM ET

Thanks! ...i think?

Posted by ilovehomers on 01/21/18 at 01:47 PM ET

WingedRider's avatar

For this Fan what I see from the Wings playing is exactly who they are.  Win some , Lose some.. stick around below .500.  This was projected for this team before the season started.

They just are not good enough, due to lack of skill, over the Hill and not movable, kids learning, ... the roster is a mess in some areas and not fixable short term.

I am OK with that as long as they make moves to get slowly better.  Management has to change from Blashill up and that is the part that worries me. KH making moves to make the playoffs, Blashill thinking he is the only coach that is right, Illitch has shown no interest or knowledge in Hockey (read up on the new Owner of the Canes, impressive, already).

KH should do nothing except trade Green, at or before the deadline) who for some reason likes Detroit. End of season KH should be gone (completely, Hello Canucks/Seattle) and not in any draft planning, not involved in any signings of players. THE END !!!!  This worries me as this has a slim to none chance of happening.

Until then I will enjoy watching the prospects which will probably mean Little Joe enjoying hot dog during his brief stay..  As said above who do you really think Blashill will sit to let a GR call up play??

Posted by WingedRider from Saskatoon, SK on 01/21/18 at 02:13 PM ET

bigfrog's avatar

I agree. What little hope I had for the Red Wings making the playoffs ended last November when they were losing their home games. It was over before it was over.  hmmm

Posted by bigfrog on 01/21/18 at 05:02 PM ET

MurrayChadwick's avatar

For this Fan what I see from the Wings playing is exactly who they are.  Win some , Lose some.. stick around below .500.  This was projected for this team before the season started….

Posted by WingedRider from Saskatoon, SK on 01/21/18 at 02:13 PM ET

I 100% agree with the 1st statement,  I think most do, but what I don’t understand is why everyone is always on here kicking and screaming about the results.  If i get a steak from a Coney island I don’t expect Capital Grille quality, nor will I bitch daily about the chef who cooked it.

Resigning, and even UFAs, disaster.  On the drafting/developing side, you know without having a top 10 pick, KH has added some decent players several seasons ago that are now on this roster and producing in Larkin, Mantha, Bertuizzi, AA, not as much success as we would prefer, but not an all out disaster since the mustache cowboy jettisoned to Dallas.

Posted by MurrayChadwick from Holland Hate Hyperbole Town (HHHT) on 01/22/18 at 09:42 AM ET