The Malik Report

How Others See Ex-Wings

via Tom McQueen of Bolts By The Bay,

Keep in mind, however, that Steve Yzerman wasn’t the only GM knocking on Filppula’s door in the days leading up to July 5. His suitors were well aware of his winning Stanley Cup experience and the maturity that a player acquires as he learns how to handle himself under sustained playoff pressure.

I believe that with his hockey sense and his solid offensive and defensive play, Valtteri Filppula will certainly turn heads in the Tampa Bay Times Forum and around the league. What remains to be seen is whether the striking abilities Detroit fans witnessed in the last few years were a peak or a preface to an even more successful career. Overall, I’m optimistic that Lightning fans will be in for an exciting season as they watch Valtteri perform.

via Mike Ristano of eyes on isles,

At the end of the day, Brunner is a very good offensive forward, who cannot only shoot the puck well, but can pass it just as efficiently. He has blazing speed and great hands, but also adds a necessary grit, as well.

If we take a look at that last word “grit,” then the other word that comes to mind is Islanders. The Isles are building a hard-working, gritty squad, and wouldn’t a top six, fast scoring forward with a ton of grit fit well on this team?

Filed in: | The Malik Report | Permalink

Comments

Nathan's avatar

Filppula is a good player. I hope he does well in Tampa, but I also hope the fans have more reasonable expectations than this article is setting them up for. Filppula has never “turn[ed] heads” and “striking abilities” is hyperbole. For the sake of Tampa and their fans, hopefully the last few years have been a preface to better offensive hockey to come from Val, otherwise, the contract will be another bad one down in Tampa.

On Brunner… I can’t help but wonder if this guy actually watched him play. “Blazing speed” is not how I’d describe him. I’d say Brunner is slightly above average in his skating, shot, and passing. I wouldn’t use “grit” to describe him either.

The thing about him that impresses and allows him to score goals (which is possibly being conflated with “grit”) is that he has a willingness to go to and understanding of where the scoring areas are on the ice, which is something it seems it usually takes first-year NHLers a season or two to learn. I do think some team will be getting a nice player in Brunner, but much like Filppula, the question is whether or not the price for what they are getting is a value.

Honestly, I think that when Brunner finally signs somewhere, the team that inks him is going to have a higher likelihood of getting true value on his contract than Tampa does on Filppula. Not to disparage Filppula, who at the very least is always going to give you a hell of a defensive game… one that can shut down top line forwards… but when you ink a $5 million/year deal, in a year where most teams are dealing with some level of cap crunch no less, the offensive numbers have to come, and they have to come consistently. Brunner @ $3 million/year scoring 25 goals and 50 points is a better value than Filppula @ $5 million scoring 15 goals and 50 points, even with his defense.

Posted by Nathan from the scoresheet! on 07/12/13 at 09:08 AM ET

Mandingo's avatar

Posted by Nathan from the scoresheet! on 07/12/13 at 09:08 AM ET

Agree with this 100%.

I’m certain Filppula is going to continue to be a very well-paid above-average to very-good defender who scores around 0.6 points a game, and I’m happy he’ll be doing it for another team.

Had the market for Weiss turned out to be as high as they initially said it might, I could’ve lived with re-signing Filppula. But at his price, I think Weiss will offer more value.

Posted by Mandingo from The Garage on 07/12/13 at 09:24 AM ET

Primis's avatar

This is what happens when writers for Eastern team write about players from a Western one they didn’t see or watch.

Filppula won’t turn heads.  He will frustrate… Lightning fans of course.  Don’t forget:  Filppula is expected to replace Lecavalier.  Say what you want, but that’s how the fans are going to judge him.  And even now, this late in Lecavalier’s career, he’s got about 43489432903 legs up on Fil’s game.

Brunner is many things, but he is not “gritty”.  If he were DET might not have left him sitting unsigned still.  His hands are great yes, but his speed is only Good, not Great.

Again, this is what happens when writers write about players based on what they’re heard or made up themselves in their own imaginations, not actually seen and based on actual evidence.

Posted by Primis on 07/12/13 at 10:33 AM ET

shanetx's avatar

I agree with you on the most part, but if you cherry pick games from the season before last you’ll see plenty of Filppula moments that make you think he’s much more than he is, which is why your statement of “He will frustrate… Lightning fans of course” is so true.  I’d be idly curious to know how Filppula has done in nationally televised games verses non-televised.  There’s a few basketball players who are known to be completely different in televised games versus local broadcast (Rajon Rondo being one of the key ones) but I’ve never seen that applied to a hockey player.  I guess you’d have to have a TV deal worth noting for that to happen.

Posted by shanetx from Floydada, Texas on 07/12/13 at 02:13 PM ET

HockeytownOverhaul's avatar

I never thought brunner had good hands at all.  Was glad when he stopped trying to dangle.  His a fast paced sniper, quick high shot is his bread and butter and good hockey sense.. offensivelyy…

For a one dimensional goal scorer though its still worth more than 1.5..

Posted by HockeytownOverhaul on 07/12/13 at 03:34 PM ET

TKShreve's avatar

Agreed with just about everything here. Happy to see Fil land somewhere with a payday in tow.

On Brunner, I peg him as a defensive liability. IMO he possesses no defensive capabilities and barely makes up for that on the offense. Barely.

I’m thinking we will see much different types of play from these two once they have settled into their new homes. Better or worse, I can not predict though.

Posted by TKShreve from East Uptown on 07/12/13 at 03:58 PM ET